Christian Benteke

Kwan

If Spurs are interested in a striker with a performance level greater than Defoe and Adebayor they will have to look at players in the region of £30m+.

For Spurs to improve on Defoe and Adebayor they could start shopping in the £5m category.

I Cant think of one player i would take as part of the deal off Spurs being realistic they will not offer us Bale

Holtby

Sigurusson

Dembele

and maybe Danny Rose.

Not saying any of those players would ever come here, but those are the ones i'd take on a realistic note.

If they're not good enough for Spurs they're not good enough for Villa.

Eh? Who said they wasn't good enough?

Spurs, if they are willing to give them to us as part of a deal.

Any deal for a player will be a bad one for us, it means there's something wrong with them. Learn from the Ireland fiasco.

Edited by Con

Any deal for a player will be a bad one for us, it means there's something wrong with them. Learn from the Ireland fiasco.

So if it was Bale as part of the deal, you would have a problem with that? There would be something wrong with him?

So if it was Bale as part of the deal, you would have a problem with that? There would be something wrong with him?

They wouldn't offer Bale, but yes, if they offered Bale it probably means his ankle's crooked.

If?

They wouldn't offer Bale, but yes, if they offered Bale it probably means his ankle's crooked.

lol, come on now.

Does this not reveal the crucial flaw in this "young & hungry" plan?

So we sign players with resale value if they do well and make a profit from them (eg Benteke). So at what point do we keep enough of these players to actually form a team capable of competing for a top 4 place? If we keep being forced to sell players after one or two good seasons, we will find ourselves being back to square one constantly and never form a top team.

I want to be wrong about this, but i don't think i am!

If Lambert can keep re-investing the money into better players, then we will improve and move up the league.

When we start finishing Top 10, or battling for a Europa League place, then players will see reasons to stay.

Selling Benteke for £20m, could bring in 2 or 3 players of the quality of Matt Lowton (for example).

Bale wouldn't be part of a deal which is precisely his point. Any player that Spurs are willing to give us is, by definition, a player Spurs find disposable, ergo we don't want him.

I have a sneaky feeling silly money won't be involved, because I have another sneaky feeling Villa knew all this a while back and are semi-keen to sell.

The money spent wisely will speed up our TEAM strengthening progess.

Maybe Benteke is just being cruel to be kind.

I have grave doubt we will get big bucks, but I still think we will end up in the "pink"

Ps it will also put us in good stead with other European prospects that we don't stand in a players way.......keep recruiting Paul.

Too right we would be keen to sell. I know he was only semi-joking but remember when PL was asked what his reaction would be if someone offered 20m for CB - his answer was 'I'd drive him there'.

Says it all.

We only want committed players so cheerio.

Pretty much every Club in the world loses its best players to someone bigger, not a problem, our new model means we win whether we keep or sell - all gravy as far as I can see.

The only bit that pisses me off is the idea that Spurs are a bigger Club than Villa ! Leaving aside the last couple of seasons there is nothing in it.

But that is another debate.

Up the Villa !

I have a sneaky feeling silly money won't be involved, because I have another sneaky feeling Villa knew all this a while back and are semi-keen to sell.

The money spent wisely will speed up our TEAM strengthening progess.

Maybe Benteke is just being cruel to be kind.

I have grave doubt we will get big bucks, but I still think we will end up in the "pink"

Ps it will also put us in good stead with other European prospects that we don't stand in a players way.......keep recruiting Paul.

Too right we would be keen to sell. I know he was only semi-joking but remember when PL was asked what his reaction would be if someone offered 20m for CB - his answer was 'I'd drive him there'.

Says it all.

We only want committed players so cheerio.

Pretty much every Club in the world loses its best players to someone bigger, not a problem, our new model means we win whether we keep or sell - all gravy as far as I can see.

The only bit that pisses me off is the idea that Spurs are a bigger Club than Villa ! Leaving aside the last couple of seasons there is nothing in it.

But that is another debate.

Up the Villa !

.....London

I often wonder whether this new policy will ever be able to bear fruit because it appears that as soon as the fruit starts to ripen someone comes & picks it just as its getting juicy & we're left with the unripe ones.

I wouldn't call Westwood, Lowton and Weimann 'unripe ones' personally

;)

Does this not reveal the crucial flaw in this "young & hungry" plan?

So we sign players with resale value if they do well and make a profit from them (eg Benteke). So at what point do we keep enough of these players to actually form a team capable of competing for a top 4 place? If we keep being forced to sell players after one or two good seasons, we will find ourselves being back to square one constantly and never form a top team.

I want to be wrong about this, but i don't think i am!

If Lambert can keep re-investing the money into better players, then we will improve and move up the league.

When we start finishing Top 10, or battling for a Europa League place, then players will see reasons to stay.

Selling Benteke for £20m, could bring in 2 or 3 players of the quality of Matt Lowton (for example).

That is based on the assumption he gets all the money to spend. Which I think is a sizable if.

Bale wouldn't be part of a deal which is precisely his point. Any player that Spurs are willing to give us is, by definition, a player Spurs find disposable, ergo we don't want him.

They don't have to be willing. If we want say £30M, but don't want to give straight cash then they might let someone go that they would rather hold onto.

When i come on this forum i am glad to see a lot of people who are being logical and using sense in this situation. I didn't come on here till late last night and some of the stuff going on Twitter was mind-blowing. here's my two pennies on some of peoples comments

One-season wonder: He's only had 1 premier league season so he has no way to prove he isn't that. Anyone who's watched him regularly, which the majority on here have, will know that he can be unplayable on occasions and consistently better than the rest of the team. His has natural raw talent and will only improve.

"you were nothing before Villa": I think this is a poor argument because it is clear to everyone just how good he is. Yes we were willing to take a gamble, yes we gave him his Premier League chance. But i think he was going to the top no matter what with ability like that, it was just a case of how long and which way he'd do it. He was starting up front and scoring for one of the best International teams out there.

Loyalty: The same loyalty Bent showed after Sunderland got his career back on track, the same Loyalty Lambert showed after Norwich gave him his chance and backed him all the way to the Premier League. He called us a stepping-stone right from the off, this was always going to happen he never pretended he was going to be loyal to us, i think the only thing that shocked the majority (including me) was that we didn't think it would only be one season, maybe he'd stay 2, play a World Cup, his value would dramatically increase and everyone would accept the inevitable.

• Like 2

For them to offer us Bale, Bale would've to not be good enough for Spurs, and therefore an average player that would notmassivley (if at all) improve us. However, Bale is quality therefore would not be part of a deal, so the comment is a ridiculous hyperthetcal scenario.

They don't have to be willing. If we want say £30M, but don't want to give straight cash then they might let someone go that they would rather hold onto.

The only way that would be acceptable is if we got to choose the player.

Â