FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

More revelations today in the Sunday Times and growing pressure from Sony, one of many Fifa sponsors...

This is how we get FIFA to scrap their Qatar plan and do a revote. The more sponsors that turn up the heat on them, the better.

• Like 1

it's all about the money

Will it cost FIFA more to stick with Qatar or to move it? If staying with Qatar costs money then frankly the reasons will spill forth, 1,00 construction deaths, bribery, life threatening heat. If leaving Qatar is too expensive well then they were only Bangladeshi's we'll get some more, the money was never proven and was for orphanages anyway and guaranteed sunshine will be nice.

For Qatar not to lose it, I think they may have to pay bigger still, a lot bigger still. Inconveniencing the Prem, Bundesliga, La Liga and co ain't going to be cheap.

To say nothing of the sponsors and US TV...

The sponsors turning against it are really starting to mount up now.  Sony were first mentioned but in the past day or so it seems that Adidas, Visa, Coca Cola and Hyundai are questioning the bidding process too.  It's possible that the floodgates might open here, the more companies that try to disassociate themselves with a corrupt organisation/bidding process today just encourages even more to do the same tomorrow.   I'm pleasantly surprised something is finally happening about this. Whether that means that Qatar loses the World Cup or not remains to be seen but to finally see something  officially acknowledged is great, even if it was something everybody called bullshit on the day it happened. 

• Like 1

the thing is other nations will probably be questioned about what they did for votes as well. Australia have apparently paid off Warner before the bidding process. England aren't exactly clean themselves, im sure their friendlies against Trinidad and Tobago and Thailand(cancelled immediately after they didn't get the bid) will be brought to question

I suspect we're all beginning to fall foul of the frenzy that the British press are (quite rightly) intent on stirring up. The fact that it's in the headlines a lot at the moment is really more down to the pressure that the Beeb, Times and Co are putting on FIFA, and less to do with the fact that something might actually be happening. Even the latest BBC article about sponsors being unhappy was probably as a result of a reporter ringing around trying to get quotes rather than any proactive actions from the sponsors themselves. I suspect we'll all be in for yet more disappointment.

Why has a keeper error leading to a disallowed goal in a friendly left you with a bad taste for the WC?

That wasn't an error. It was very deliberate. As was the other own goal they scored that night.

Charlie Mulgrew scored a ridiculous backheel so I don't know what this other goal is

the thing is other nations will probably be questioned about what they did for votes as well. Australia have apparently paid off Warner before the bidding process. England aren't exactly clean themselves, im sure their friendlies against Trinidad and Tobago and Thailand(cancelled immediately after they didn't get the bid) will be brought to question

If that brings down FIFA in its current form then it's a price worth paying.

• Like 2

it would be but I just don't see FIFA coming down. Blatter has a lot of support from the non superpowers who all have a vote in FIFA and not just the European powers. I remember the last time the big European powers went against him he crushed them in 2002 and I don't think he has forgotten that it was led by the FA

Why has a keeper error leading to a disallowed goal in a friendly left you with a bad taste for the WC?

That wasn't an error. It was very deliberate. As was the other own goal they scored that night.

Charlie Mulgrew scored a ridiculous backheel so I don't know what this other goal is

I'm talking about Scotland's second goal where the Nigerian kicked the ball into his own net. This coupled with the goalkeeper throwing, literally, the ball into the net (although disallowed laughably for a foul on the keeper) in a game which had already been flagged as suspicious due to irregular betting patterns has to be called into question.

I don't have any issues with Russia winning their bid... up and coming footballing nation with a strong domesic league and clearly the infrastructure to host it. I might not like the decision for them getting it but there are no real concerns on them being able to host it.

Qatar on the other hand... possible the worst place on the planet to host it? Absolutely farcial decision.

• Like 1

He really is a despicable waste of a human being isn't he? 

He's pulling the race card after selecting a host for the summer World Cup that fail on the single count of being unable to host a summer World Cup - for money - for money for him.

This fella really should be spending his later years behind bars.

• Like 2

Â