Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Northern hemisphere team going down south and claiming series victories. Wales to complete the clean sweep later, just to confirm an all Southern hemisphere World Cup final next year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Northern hemisphere team going down south and claiming series victories. Wales to complete the clean sweep later, just to confirm an all Southern hemisphere World Cup final next year.

Wales will struggle to win their series. 

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Imagine what those in the Southern hemisphere think of having July as a summer month, but yeah you're right it's all a bit upside down.

Coming out your house on Xmas day to a blazing hot day, it just wouldn't feel like Xmas.

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

England may not be the prettiest, but it’s still a good series win, following a turn around in form. Some youngsters getting some game time as well is good. Still need to get the back line firing more.

i guess it's easier to get the win and focus on what went well than to have lost and have to work out what went wrong. the positives are plain to see - primarily the pack

possibly the last time danny care puts on an england shirt

31 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Coming out your house on Xmas day to a blazing hot day, it just wouldn't feel like Xmas.

off topic but went to visit friends in brisbane over xmas one year. was 43 degrees on xmas eve. it was odd, to say the least. they have their own traditions...everyone goes to the beach on xmas day. was nice in its own way, but definitely didn't feel like xmas

• Like 2

You have to wonder if the entertainment people get from this sport is worth the amount of brain damage of its participants. Poor lad is only 41.

https://www.the42.ie/ryan-jones-5819223-Jul2022/?utm_source=shortlink

FORMER WALES CAPTAIN Ryan Jones has revealed his fears for the future after being diagnosed with early-onset dementia aged 41.

Jones, capped 75 times and a member of the British and Irish Lions squad on the 2005 tour of New Zealand, received the diagnosis of probable chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in December last year.

In an interview with the Sunday Times, Jones said: “I feel like my world is falling apart.

“I am really scared because I’ve got three children and three step-children and I want to be a fantastic dad.

“I lived 15 years of my life like a superhero and I’m not. I don’t know what the future holds.

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
On 17/07/2022 at 01:46, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

You have to wonder if the entertainment people get from this sport is worth the amount of brain damage of its participants. Poor lad is only 41.

https://www.the42.ie/ryan-jones-5819223-Jul2022/?utm_source=shortlink

But people know the risks and no one forces them to play sport for a living.

Its rugby, you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to work out it will have an affect on your body, for years we’ve seen what it’s done (cauliflower ears etc).

People play sport because they enjoy it, they’re not thinking about what happens to them later in life.

What’s the alternative, have a shite office job for 45 years and end up pissing and shitting yourself in a nursing home anyway?

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63033098?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Financially-stricken Worcester Warriors are uncertain they will avoid being suspended from all competition on Monday by the Rugby Football Union (RFU).

really unsure how this has been allowed to happen. i had a look at tickets for england v all blacks this autumn and the cheapest ticket available (category 2) was £150. there's clearly money in the game...why is this money not trickling down to the clubs?

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63033098?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

really unsure how this has been allowed to happen. i had a look at tickets for england v all blacks this autumn and the cheapest ticket available (category 2) was £150. there's clearly money in the game...why is this money not trickling down to the clubs?

My cousins teenage daughter was signed to their academy but that's a no go now. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, as predicted Wasps are on the brink…

their game against Exeter Chiefs has been called off this weekend over pay and likely to suffer instant relegation this season.

Not great for the game but I imagine the remaining owners will use this to ring fence the Premiership as they’ve wanted to do for a while now.

This is a really sad day (again) for midlands rugby. I've probably been to Wasps as much as Villa over the last 5-6 years and it's a great day out.

What always strikes me though is that for top level rugby the crowds are so small. Even Tigers and Quins only get a little over 20k on average, Wasps is less than 10k. There just isn't the money coming into the clubs to pay the high salaries for the top level players. It breaks my heart to say this, but rugby just doesn't have the numbers in comparison to football, so it doesn't generate the income it badly needs.

Every club is millions in debt, it's just not sustainable. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope English rugby finds its way out of this mess.

• Like 3

The URC and the Premiership should just merge. It would make a really competitive league but it would need to be split into two conferences of 10 teams each or something.

There are enough well supported teams between British Isles and South Africa for an excellent product to rival The Top 14. 

26 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

This is a really sad day (again) for midlands rugby. I've probably been to Wasps as much as Villa over the last 5-6 years and it's a great day out.

What always strikes me though is that for top level rugby the crowds are so small. Even Tigers and Quins only get a little over 20k on average, Wasps is less than 10k. There just isn't the money coming into the clubs to pay the high salaries for the top level players. It breaks my heart to say this, but rugby just doesn't have the numbers in comparison to football, so it doesn't generate the income it badly needs.

Every club is millions in debt, it's just not sustainable. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope English rugby finds its way out of this mess.

The issue is the dominance of the international game. The fact that there is no global calendar, that club games are played at the same time as Internationals and the end of season playoffs take away from importance of each individual league game. 

A global calendar and a more competitive club league with fewer teams. No overlap between club and international games. There's lots that can be done. 

48 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

is the reason for the debt purely a bums not being on seats issue though? the stadiums aren't huge so another 5-10k tickets sold really isn't going to help that much. the cheapest ticket for england v all blacks when i last looked was £150. take into account food and drink sales you would expect an 8 figure sum to be taken just for that one game. and they're playing 3 other internationals over the same period (appreciate the others will generate less money) but where is that money going?

Â