Best Debut Albums

maqroll

Oh turnbull you do realise that TB is responsible for inflicting Richard Branson on the world, he was hugely unsuccessful until he released that

Then Richard Branson created V2 records who's first band were Stereophonics, who in turn released Word Gets Around. 

Which is my favourite debut album.

Anyone mentioned "The Crossing " yet :)

Unique and influential and a damn fine album to boot

Influential in the sense that every band since has said, they don't want to sound like Big Country?

Very very funny. Anyway because Mr Bland is probably in the Outback, The Blue Nile’s first album.

• Like 1

Off of the top of my head:

Psychocandy - The Jesus & Mary Chain

3 ft High & Rising - De La Soul

Slanted & Enchanted - Pavement

Music From The Big Pink - The Band

5 Leaves Left - Nick Drake

Is This It - The Strokes

I'll think of some more, I'm sure!

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

In ten years time no one will remember the Artic Monkeys

behave!

probably the best British band going at the moment and more importantly easily the band most happy to play with and evolve their sound, add to that their significance and influence as a band in the 00s they'll be around for ages, they've got everything apart from a traditional rock and roll huge personality front man

• Like 1

behave!

probably the best British band going at the moment and more importantly easily the band most happy to play with and evolve their sound, add to that their significance and influence as a band in the 00s they'll be around for ages, they've got everything apart from a traditional rock and roll huge personality front man

I remember when Arctic Monkeys first came out I was going on about how great they were on another forum. A member of that forum claimed they were shite and no one would remember them in 5 years time. 5 years on they are arguably one of the biggest British bands on the planet. They're not going to be forgotten any time soon, a lot people do not realise the effect they had on British culture when their first album came out. Arctic Monkeys and Libertines are the only two British bands in my life time who have kinda changed a culture. 'Cos they certainly did that if you were in the age group they were aimed at.

• Like 2

behave!

Well Radiohead might just blow that argument right out of the water, shame they can't be included in this topic as their debut album is by far their worst.

I struggle to remember anything tAM have done since their first album, they aren't a bad band but they do nothing memorable either and that's possibly the worst thing you can say about any band. But for me they'll be up there with the Stereophonics a mere footnote in the annals of rock history on a par with lets say The Skids, in fact the Skids are a great comparison now I think about it

• Like 1

But for me they'll be up there with the Stereophonics a mere footnote in the annals of rock history

I cant even start to explain how far off I think that is, and im a huge phonics fan, that's like comparing ocean colour scene with oasis

5 years on they are arguably one of the biggest British bands on the planet. 

But certainly much smaller than One Direction :D

surprisingly 1D 1st album sold 700k in the UK, AM sold 1.2m, 2nd albums 650k v 700k

1D don't actually shift that many records, they're a proper modern day boy band, more famous for being famous

But for me they'll be up there with the Stereophonics a mere footnote in the annals of rock history

I cant even start to explain how far off I think that is, and im a huge phonics fan, that's like comparing ocean colour scene with oasis

Not a bad comparison in my book

Velvet Underground and Nico

Stooges

Neu! (Neu)

Never Mind the Bollocks

Isn't Anything (MBV)

Colossal Youth (Young Marble Giants)

Talking Heads:77

The Smiths

Pink Flag (Wire)

Playing With a Different Sex (the Au Pairs)

Licensed to Ill (Beastie Boys)

Horses (Patti Smith)

Murmur (REM)

Entertainment (Gang of Four)

Those are just a few that haven't been mentioned yet

• Like 3

Â