Best Debut Albums

maqroll

Some great suggestions in here but why so many for the derivative statement that is Definitely Maybe, nothing that steals and borrows its musical footprint so obviously should ever be in such a list. I'm not saying its a bad album, it isn't but it hardly changed the musical landscape forever either.

I know it ripped off the odd riff from elsewhere, T-Rex / Cigarettes and Alcohol for example, but the music was pretty revolutionary at the time. They took their inspiration from the Beetles, Stone Roses and other bands, but rarely sounded like any of them. I wholeheartedly disagree with this, if one album did change the musical landscape in the last 20 years, then it's this.

But as if the suggestion of the Arctic Monkeys wasn't funny enough

It's a great album, when you consider it was penned by a group of teenagers, then a bit like Green Day's Dookie, it deserves some serious respect. Still my favourite album to this day.

• Like 2

Debut albums are funny beasts.....most of the artists I like made pretty average first albums its only after a few that they really hit their stride and started pushing out their best work. 

• Like 1

Some great suggestions in here but why so many for the derivative statement that is Definitely Maybe, nothing that steals and borrows its musical footprint so obviously should ever be in such a list. I'm not saying its a bad album, it isn't but it hardly changed the musical landscape forever either.

The Doors debut did, a did Hendrix as mentioned in the OP. Led Zep did too. The Pixies, maybe, I could definitely see an argument for that even Arcade Fire possibly. Blue Lines is still hugely influential. Marquee Moon would be in mine too, Tom Verlaine's guitar work influenced much of the 80's and 90's...

But as if the suggestion of the Arctic Monkeys wasn't funny enough, Q***n ffs if only someone had tied the poodles up in a bag and thrown them in the cut after that record, the world would be a better place

derivative but full of energy, so in some ways a bit Oasis, lads n gentlefolk I give you....

The Jam     In The City

it changed my little world that's for sure, tuning me in to the twin peaks of 60's and a punky vibe

I know it ripped off the odd riff from elsewhere, T-Rex / Cigarettes and Alcohol for example, but the music was pretty revolutionary at the time. They took their inspiration from the Beetles, Stone Roses and other bands, but rarely sounded like any of them. I wholeheartedly disagree with this, if one album did change the musical landscape in the last 20 years, then it's this.

No it really wasn't and it isn't the odd riff either. I was there in the early days working for SJM and there was nothing revolutionary about Oasis in the slightest, just a band that scallies could relate to because they'd heard most of the riffs before but didn't realise it

But as if the suggestion of the Arctic Monkeys wasn't funny enough

It's a great album, when you consider it was penned by a group of teenagers, then a bit like Green Day's Dookie, it deserves some serious respect. Still my favourite album to this day.

Lyrically its good, musically its pretty basic. In ten years time no one will remember the Artic Monkeys, its their best album by far but one of the greatest debuts? never in a million years

• Like 2

derivative but full of energy, so in some ways a bit Oasis, lads n gentlefolk I give you....

The Jam     In The City

it changed my little world that's for sure, tuning me in to the twin peaks of 60's and a punky vibe

Better than Definitely Maybe for sure and in its own way it did change the musical landscape slightly as without that there'd have been no Mod Revival.

No it really wasn't and it isn't the odd riff either. I was there in the early days working for SJM and there was nothing revolutionary about Oasis in the slightest, just a band that scallies could relate to because they'd heard most of the riffs before but didn't realise it.

Whether you think it should or shouldn't have been revolutionary, it undoubtedly was. Definitely Maybe was the album that brought Brit Pop to the masses. There may have been other groups doing similar things at the time, but none of them changed the musical landscape in the same way. Most people would struggle to name a more influential album from that time. It may not be to everyone's taste, but you can't deny that this album was the one that kick started the whole 90's era of indie music. Well you can, but most people would disagree with you.

WRT Artcic Monkeys - you may well be right, but I sincerely hope you're not.

• Like 1

Can we just put this Oasis thing to bed.

It is undoubtedly a great album, I have it and still gets played very loud.

But there isn't an original thought in there, anywhere.

They are a tribute act that write their own songs.

No it really wasn't and it isn't the odd riff either. I was there in the early days working for SJM and there was nothing revolutionary about Oasis in the slightest, just a band that scallies could relate to because they'd heard most of the riffs before but didn't realise it.

Whether you think it should or shouldn't have been revolutionary, it undoubtedly was. Definitely Maybe was the album that brought Brit Pop to the masses. There may have been other groups doing similar things at the time, but none of them changed the musical landscape in the same way. Most people would struggle to name a more influential album from that time. It may not be to everyone's taste, but you can't deny that this album was the one that kick started the whole 90's era of indie music. Well you can, but most people would disagree with you.

You're now arguing about something different. 

An album that increases the overall popularity of a genre or artist doesn't necessarily make it "great" 

I always found Oasis to be incredibly predictable and formulaic. Guitar pop by numbers - the have released good songs and were incredibly popular but they haven't as far as I'm concerned Definitely Maybe is not one of the greatest debut albums.  

Brit pop was some imaginary concept invented by the media. Oasis in no shape or form represented any kind of a revolution in music, it undoubtedly wasn't revolutionary, in fact they stole the whole concept of their sound from another band from Liverpool called the Real People whilst both bands were rehearsing demos in a studio, one of Oasis' songs on DM is even a rip off of a Real People tune, stolen from that very time from a band who were trying to help them at the time.

Oasis didn't kick start anything either, all the other bands of the time were already selling records and filling venues, Blur and Suede for just two such examples

• Like 1

......I do love that label though!

Creation managed that rare thing, if you saw something was on Creation, you could buy it without hearing it, get it home and it would be fine.

Primal Scream, The Times and Super Furry Animals as examples.

In fact, let's put Fuzzy Logic by SFA up there as a best debut.....

Should probably draw a line under the Oasis debate before it ruins the thread for everyone else. As an individual heavily involved in the scene at the time, then you undoubtedly have the authority on this one.

Here's the line, look.

Back to best debut albums :)

I thought this was a thread where people say what their favourite debut album is, personal taste, not something to argue about. My choice of Skid Row wasn't because I think they changed the world of music but because I thinki it's damn good debut album with lots of good songs and not including a bad one, IMO. Few debut albums change the way of music, and as time passes by, no debut album probably will.

As for Queen, well, they ARE one of the biggest bands ever when it comes to selling records, singles and big audiences, so they must've done something right even if there are many that don't like them at all. So I guess something would've been missed if they hadn't had been allowed to make that first album. And they sure helped to change the the way of music in some way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blue Lines showed that confidence in UK hiphop (at a time when it crossed with Soul and R&B) was coming. I'd never heard anything like it before and for that reason it would be high up there.

DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is just absolutely mind boggling. I went onto "Who Sampled" and looked up various tracks from the Unkle Psyence Fiction album after it and my god that boy can just make music from other peoples' ...it's an absolute mastercraft. One that Eric Prydz and crap house DJ's need a lesson in.

• Like 1

Â