Best Debut Albums

maqroll

Debut albums are funny beasts.....most of the artists I like made pretty average first albums its only after a few that they really hit their stride and started pushing out their best work.

That's very true. Indeed, I think that having a great debut is an impediment to having a great career. Subsequent work is compared to that and found wanting, which just puts more and more pressure on you. It also, I think, tends to mean that a lot of the early fans get bored and abandon you.

OTOH, improving with each album and being successful enough on the first few to keep going but not massively successful means that if/when you do hit the bigtime, there's a back catalog for your new fans to explore and your concert sets are going to keep them interested. That would certainly appear to be Cliff Burnstein's approach... the two bands most associated with him (Rush and Metallica) both basically followed that recipe.

In ten years time no one will remember the Artic Monkeys

behave!

probably the best British band going at the moment and more importantly easily the band most happy to play with and evolve their sound, add to that their significance and influence as a band in the 00s they'll be around for ages, they've got everything apart from a traditional rock and roll huge personality front man

I've never heard an Artic Monkeys song so i'm with Bicks on this one ...

that one that went

something something something something something I bet you look good on the dance floor du du du du du du du du du something that rhymes with dancefloor

that was good

didn't realise they'd done anything else

that one that went

something something something something something I bet you look good on the dance floor du du du du du du du du du something that rhymes with dancefloor

that was good

didn't realise they'd done anything else

Thank-you, that is exactly my point, they are completely unmemorable bar stuff from the first album

• Like 1

High Land Hard Rain by Aztec Camera. Pity it was pretty much diminishing returns from then on, but a real masterpiece of its time and place.

And roddy frame is playing it in its entirety to celebrate its 30th anniversary in december.. 

High Land Hard Rain by Aztec Camera. Pity it was pretty much diminishing returns from then on, but a real masterpiece of its time and place.

And roddy frame is playing it in its entirety to celebrate its 30th anniversary in december.. 

Which I seem to have been a real fool and bought tickets for. 25 years since I last saw them/him live, lets hope he puts on a decent show...

kqpn.jpg

This was actually their third album.  It's incredible though. :D

Technically you are correct, buuuuuuut......let's face it; that was Underworld Mk1 and they completely revamped when Emerson joined!

This is where it really started!!

Movement - New Order .

Now there's an album, very probably my favourite NO album but what did it change? nothing. Did it influence anything? no it probably didn't. It's the only NO album I still listen to from beginning to end, it is a good album... but in reality it is just that. Later NO material was hugely influential and did change an awful lot of perceptions about what is possible but Movement is kind of like a dirty secret, it is the transition album between JD and NO but that is it, its an historical document but that is all it is. Doesn't deserve to be in this list imo and it is a favourite album of mine.

Here's a few that started with a bang.

Aphex Twin - 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92'

The Meters - 'The Meters'

Bobbie Gentry - 'Ode To Billy Joe'

Os Mutantes - 'Os Mutantes'

Royksopp - 'Melody AM'

Faust - 'Faust'

Captain Beyond - 'Captain Beyond'

Tasavallan Presidentti - 'Tasavallan Presidentti"

Terry Callier - 'The New Folk Sound Of Terry Callier'

Nucleus - 'Elastic Rock'

Pharcyde - 'Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde'