Official's decisions - "it evens out over a season"

villa_shere

They say the Officials decisions even out against a team over the season.

Over the last few seasons we (and over teams) have seen awful calls made against us. Some affect us more than others.

We have seen two games in a row where the officials have made shocking decisions.

Schezney should have been sent off but luckily we managed to win the game, albeit with a catalogue of reffing errors after.

And yesterday we were out done of a point by a series of bad calls, Ivanovic elbow, offside on goal and Terry handball.

It would be interesting if somebody set up a running table of refs decisions and estimated points gained or lost by each one.  

I appreciate there is no science behind it but keeping a log of the decisions would be interesting for everyone.

Not sure if this is against still rules, if so delete.

A lot of Arsenal fans felt aggrieved after our win. Especially for the penalties. Unfortunately I didn't see the game, but if one is conspiratorial, one could easily imagine the refs feeling we were due a bent ref after the Arsenal game.  :D

Well i'm still waiting for the Vidic rugby tackle on Agbonlahor in the CC final to be redeemed...

It's been some time

I'm also waiting in anticipation for Kevin Enemy to be struck off.

Surely he will be after what happened to the ref that reffed the game against Arsenal?

Then again he will probably be given a medal by the FA because Chelsea won and the Premiership equilibrium is restored...

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

A lot of Arsenal fans felt aggrieved after our win. Especially for the penalties. Unfortunately I didn't see the game, but if one is conspiratorial, one could easily imagine the refs feeling we were due a bent ref after the Arsenal game.  :D

The only people that thought the Arsenal ref had a stinker was the Arsenal fans. Pundits said he was fine. However the pundits thought the Chelsea ref had a stinker. So no this wasn't any kind of justice. We were shafted. Arsenal weren't.
  • Like 3

It's all nonsense about it evens it out, you will see Clattenberg give a right howler on Saturday.

So it's Clattenburg on Saturday. The guy who didn't referee Everton for over five years after giving every decision to Liverpool in the derby. Great.

Well i'm still waiting for the Vidic rugby tackle on Agbonlahor in the CC final to be redeemed...

Exactly, all this "it evens itself out" is bollocks.  Some decisions are marginal, and refs as human beings are of course going to make mistakes, which is part of the charm of football.  Things like the Gabby penalty for example, it really could have gone either way but the right decision ultimately was made.  If the ref hadn't have given it though, I'd have grumbled but ultimately understood.  Last night though, was just a disgrace.  I've never seen a more blatant handball in the box, and the referee was stood right in front of it.  It was just out and out bottling of a big decision, and he should be dropped immediately.  And when I say dropped, I do mean off Beachy Head.

• Like 1

Glad it's Clattenburg on Saturday. He's the only one I've never thought has given obviously dodgy decisions against us.

Michael Oliver is my favourite. Every time I've watched him ref us it's like he's a Villa fan. Moarrrr please.

Exactly, all this "it evens itself out" is bollocks.  Some decisions are marginal, and refs as human beings are of course going to make mistakes, which is part of the charm of football.  Things like the Gabby penalty for example, it really could have gone either way but the right decision ultimately was made.  If the ref hadn't have given it though, I'd have grumbled but ultimately understood.  Last night though, was just a disgrace.  I've never seen a more blatant handball in the box, and the referee was stood right in front of it.  It was just out and out bottling of a big decision, and he should be dropped immediately.  And when I say dropped, I do mean off Beachy Head.

Yes, some decisions are harder to call than others. Nobody is really bemoaning the Ivanovic goal despite it looking offside. If it was called offside it would have been a fantastic call, but it was so marginal its hard to see. For me, even the elbow was a bit of a soft one. Sometimes they go sometimes they dont. But the handball was blatent, ref bottled it.

EVERY team recon they get a hard time off of refs. See Arsenal fans on Saturday or Chelsea last season when that whole Clattenberg thing happened.

It is one of footballs universal laws that fans will believe the ref is against them.

I would say it does even out - with the exceptions of away games @ the big 4. If you consider that these are multi million pound businesses - they weild a great deal of influence.

After the uproar that arsenal created - I wouldn't like to be going there next. A referee is bound to be influenced - any 50/50's he can either give to the home team - or have have his name dragged through the mud in the press the following morning.

i Was at this game - whilst its remembered for the non sending off of vidic - I have an even more sinister memory,

I think it was Rafeal - the ref approached him - in full focus of the big TV sceen at Wembley - He could clearly be seen saying to Rafael  "Thats two bad tackles - one more youre in the book'  - Literally 60 seconds later - Collins commits his first foul  - Ref instantly shows the yellow card.

The "It all evens itself out over the course of a season" rubbish, is the mantra of the Sky 4 supporters. It rarely does even itself out. Yes, you may see the odd favourable decision go your way, but against the Sky 4 it is very rare for one of the other teams to get the benefit of a bad decision, especially on their own soil.

The thing about last nights decision that was annoying, is that the ref can't say he was unsighted as both incidents (Elbow & Handball) happened right in front of him. Therefore he has ignored , or chosen to interpret the rules differently to suit. If the incidents would have happened the other way around, you could almost guarantee that he would have taken different action.

I have a list of truly awful decisions going back 25 years that have yet to be "evened out"

For games involving the also ran's, played out between the insignificant majority of teams, I would say the bad decisions over a long enough time do roughly even up, but put any of these teams up against one of the sky media darlings and you can forget any such foolish notions as boyhood fantasies, for every 'evening up' decision, you'll have suffered multiple inexplicable bad ones, It's a battle to get anything like a fair evenly reffed game against the sky media darlings, let alone any dodgy decisions going your way like the one inflicted upon you. Most of the so called 'even things up' decisions are actually just the right decision being made where normally the wrong one is, that is hardly the same thing as the injustice often suffered the other way.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin
  • Like 1

Â