Official's decisions - "it evens out over a season"

villa_shere

Friend is useless as a referee,  performance last night was par for the course for him

We could in theory still cite precedent and officially request that we never get him again. That way, if they agree, super and if they don't, at least he'll be conscious of the request and might go completely the other way to assuage our fears. Either way it's worth a try.

Referee's should be interviewed immediately after the game just like the players & managers & asked to give account of their major cock ups.

Imagine what bullshit Kevin Enemy would come out with, squirming with embarrasment as he trys to explain away the Ivanovic's assault on Benteke & Terry's blatant hand ball.

Imagine the interviewer - " How the f*ck did you get those two decisions so ridiculously wrong Kevin, you were only standing 5yds away? Can you understand why many people have come to the conclusion that you are a F*****G cheat & that you are favouring the rich 4?"

Or Dowd after Wembley 2010 - "F*ck me Phil, how the hell has Vidic stayed on the pitch there for that foul on Agbonlahor? It's a clear sending off decision because he was clean through on goal & he has been denied a clear goal scoring scoring opportunity? Plus why did you allow Rafael to escape two blatant bookable offences & then book James Collins for his first offence? Double standards or what Phil? Can you understand Phil why many people have come to the conclusion that you are a F*****G cheat & that you are favouring the rich 4?"

Knowing full well that they would be shown up later for blatant cheating in front of a live TV audience might just help give them the incentive to make the correct decision in the first place in order to avoid looking truly, truly incompetent in that after match interview.

Refs are human & they have ego's too. If they call things correctly they could then look forward to the after match interview with relish knowing their decisions would be fully vindicated. ie

Interviewer:  "Well Anthony, Arsene claims you called both Villa pens incorrectly & that you were wrong to send off Koscielny, however our replays prove that you were vindicated in all 3 decisions & that it is just  pure sour grapes from Arsehole Whinger."

Ofcourse the FA would not allow this to happen though because they know it would expose the obvious corruption that is going on in the game & it would be naive of anyone to think otherwise IMO.

Seconded ^^

The game is sadly clear as day rigged in favor of the clubs who bring in the money...there is frankly no other explanation for it.

The ridiculous thing is that half the reason those clubs are the big clubs is because they are and have been assisted by the corrupt forces in the game for years. The only additions to this special club have been those with massive £££££'s at the expense of Liverpool and possibly Arsenal to a point.

It will be no shock to me when this all comes out eventually... Shame really as it kind of puts a farcical edge to the whole thing... Its almost like the WWF now in fact where the new champion is already decided.

It's as though the FA have had a get together & said "Right guys, we need a marketing plan to maximise Worldwide profits.. So who do we want to win it this year?".. then speaking to the refs..."Ok boys you heard the script, Kevin you're in charge tonight at Chelsea and we need to nip it in the bud with this Villa side so whatever happens make sure they get nothing. We have Mourinho back there now don't forget which will get interest back up in Spain and Portugal so make sure we get the right result.. but remember only step in if things are'nt going to plan.. Ok?"

I don't pay much attention any more to results involving Man Utd, Chelsea and no doubt Man City will soon be welcomed to the party too (Remember the dodgy lino's last season?). I'd also still count Liverpool in that group to a point (although they have been pushed away a touch recently due to the massive money now on offer at Man City and Chelsea.. No surprises they have been struggling to qualify for the top 4 since this "Help" was reduced).

There is simply way too much evidence for it to be anything else and whilst i don't doubt some ref's are not a party to it all and remain completely oblivious to the whole thing, some are and it's them who are strangely always put in charge of key fixtures involving those teams.

According to a baggies fan where i work He was the ref in charge last wkd when they played Southampton and he give them a dodgy last min penalty?

Don't know how true it is haven't seen the game but perhaps he really is Kevin Enemy of the Midlands?

Edited by AshVilla

Well i'm still waiting for the Vidic rugby tackle on Agbonlahor in the CC final to be redeemed...

It's been some time

I'm also waiting in anticipation for Kevin Enemy to be struck off.

Surely he will be after what happened to the ref that reffed the game against Arsenal?

Then again he will probably be given a medal by the FA because Chelsea won and the Premiership equilibrium is restored...

Vidic didn't even get a yellow card! Ill never get over that one.

Friend is useless as a referee, performance last night was par for the course for him

We could in theory still cite precedent and officially request that we never get him again. That way, if they agree, super and if they don't, at least he'll be conscious of the request and might go completely the other way to assuage our fears. Either way it's worth a try.

Did we do this against Dowd? I have noticed his refereeing in our games has improved.

Dunno. It might be the kind of request that happens in private. The best solution of course is for us to become a top team and then we'll like all the refs :)

Dunno. It might be the kind of request that happens in private. The best solution of course is for us to become a top team and then we'll like all the refs :)

That about sums it up... Just difficult to become a top team when you are not allowed to do well against the current "top" teams

Respectfully ...

Corruption? I don't think so.

Cowardice? I believe so. 

I don't know. I can't bring myself to pile on Kevin Friend quite so enthusiastically, esp. with the elbowing with the idea of corruption. That's a heinous allegation if true, and I just don't buy it. I've watched it again and again (although admittedly only from one angle), and it struck me as a red card. 

HOWEVER ... I also can see how the elbowing might be somewhat reasonably "read" as a balancing sort of jostle. I do not think there's corruption, but understandable (and totally craven) fear of outraging the crowd. In general, I tend to think there are too many red cards in the game. I love Benteke, but he didn't help the cause by grabbing his face rather than his neck, where the impact was. If he'd grabbed his neck, it would have given Kevin Friend more "cover" to issue the red. Again, I think it deserved a red card, but I can see how a cowardly ref might go with yellow.

I have for a long time felt that Ivanovic is a nasty, cunning piece of work. I actually have always thought and said that Luis Suarez was repeatedly provoked to bite him, "played like a piano," as they say. Not defending Suarez, but impugning Ivan the Terrible. He's a violent jerk.

On the Terry volleyball moves, clear penalty. Pure shitty reffing and more cowardice. Still don't see it as corruption. 

• Like 1

Respectfully ...

Corruption? I don't think so.

Cowardice? I believe so. 

I don't know. I can't bring myself to pile on Kevin Friend quite so enthusiastically, esp. with the elbowing with the idea of corruption. That's a heinous allegation if true, and I just don't buy it. I've watched it again and again (although admittedly only from one angle), and it struck me as a red card. 

HOWEVER ... I also can see how the elbowing might be somewhat reasonably "read" as a balancing sort of jostle. I do not think there's corruption, but understandable (and totally craven) fear of outraging the crowd. In general, I tend to think there are too many red cards in the game. I love Benteke, but he didn't help the cause by grabbing his face rather than his neck, where the impact was. If he'd grabbed his neck, it would have given Kevin Friend more "cover" to issue the red. Again, I think it deserved a red card, but I can see how a cowardly ref might go with yellow.

I have for a long time felt that Ivanovic is a nasty, cunning piece of work. I actually have always thought and said that Luis Suarez was repeatedly provoked to bite him, "played like a piano," as they say. Not defending Suarez, but impugning Ivan the Terrible. He's a violent jerk.

On the Terry volleyball moves, clear penalty. Pure shitty reffing and more cowardice. Still don't see it as corruption. 

I wouldn't rule out corruption. I know this is england and those type of things don't happen. But its a multi million dollar industry - those big clubs run the game to make money - no so the fans can watch a good game. It might not be paper in a envelope - But any refs that Rock the boat, just don't rise through the ranks.

As a start why don't they have an ex ref as a pundit on MOTD ? - I means its not as if messrs shearer + lawrenson have anything enlightining to say.....

• Like 1

I'm not sure Mr. Neutral and here's why. First of all cowardice is a form of bias because it means being preferential to a more influential side out of some kind of fear. If he was going into games and bottling decisions based on one side being a 'big'(ger) side then that would be easily identifiable. But the fact he did the same thing to us against QPR last season suggests at least the possibility that things aren't rosey. The incompetence angle doesn't stand up either. If he was just a shit ref then he'd be equally poor for both sides. We now have 2 games where this referee has shafted us for one reason or another. In decisions where you say there is any amount of grey area, he has chosen to interpret them in such a way that we didn't get any benefit of doubt. So his interpretations seem fairly consistently against us. If it happens again then it becomes a case to answer IMV.

• Like 1

Ref's will more often than not bottle it at home when it comes to big decisions.  That is why it is up to the fans to be as noisy and intimidating as possible.  Ref's are human end of the day. That kind of a roar from the crowd whenever there is a decision to be made will affect them whether they can help it or not. 

Big team have big crowds. This is why they get decisions more than the other teams IMO.

• Like 1

Remember Friend was involved in the game where Suarez bit Ivanovic and he didn't do anything, pressure from Chelsea and FA I would assume. 

Not sure I understand you here because the complaint process isn't instantaneous at all, as far as I know.  Anyone is capable of contacting the FA and "pressuring" the organization, and I think they take all complaints-in-good-faith very seriously. Are you alleging that they're not impartial about complaints?

The unit in the FA that deals with complaints seems like a fairly pragmatic, sensitive group of people, from what I've seen and heard. They watch the videos, field dozens of inquiries and complaints (though far fewer, in general, than one might imagine!), and do their best to keep the game healthy and upright. It's a pretty miserable and thankless job, I gather, trying to balance all the interest groups. I'm not here to trumpet the fairness of the FA's fines/sanctions unit, but it's run by people in good faith, from what I've seen. They don't claim to be perfect, either. 

Seems to me that Kevin Friend just doesn't fit the PL. I think he can't cope with the in-game pressure and takes the easy way out too often. I don't think there's some big conspiracy. Just a ref who's in over his head.

The problem starts when players and managers have refs mobile numbers and text and call them for little chats, jokes and general back slapping. Invites to parties and club days and all the rest of the corporate lobbying type shit that goes on. Telling your mates fergie or mourinho is on the phone or texting is a big ego boost for anyone.  

As a start why don't they have an ex ref as a pundit on MOTD ? - I means its not as if messrs shearer + lawrenson have anything enlightining to say.....

Good point. I figure it's kind of like how you rarely see judges as legal analysts. They're supposed to be above-it-all somehow?

I'm not sure Mr. Neutral and here's why. First of all cowardice is a form of bias because it means being preferential to a more influential side out of some kind of fear. If he was going into games and bottling decisions based on one side being a 'big'(ger) side then that would be easily identifiable. But the fact he did the same thing to us against QPR last season suggests at least the possibility that things aren't rosey. The incompetence angle doesn't stand up either. If he was just a shit ref then he'd be equally poor for both sides. We now have 2 games where this referee has shafted us for one reason or another. In decisions where you say there is any amount of grey area, he has chosen to interpret them in such a way that we didn't get any benefit of doubt. So his interpretations seem fairly consistently against us. If it happens again then it becomes a case to answer IMV.

I see exactly what you're saying, and you're right. But "corruption" to me implies a very deliberate, cunning effort, and it's hard for me to see the motivation in Friend's case. Wouldn't such corruption be possibly a criminal offence, too? What's in it for him? To me, it seems more like a kind of reckless cowardice than deliberate, cunning effort to damage certain sides. In any case, he sucks. He's not up to PL standards.

Big team have big crowds. This is why they get decisions more than the other teams IMO.

Totally agree. Human, all too human, to echo Nietzsche.

Â