Official's decisions - "it evens out over a season"

villa_shere

Schezney should have been sent off but luckily we managed to win the game, albeit with a catalogue of reffing errors after.

I don't think our win at Arsenal was down to "luck". Arsenal were outplayed and we won fair and square.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to obsess over refereeing decisions. The Ivanovic elbow and the Terry handball could have been ruled the other way but then so could Gabby's second penalty against Arsenal. It's important for a manager and team to take these things in their stride and get on with the business of trying to win. I hate to see players arguing with refs over decisions and manageers whingeing about them after a game. All we achieved was two needless yellow cards, which may tell against us later in the season.

We would have beaten Chelsea if Weimann had been slightly smarter with two cast-iron chances and that is what the team should be focusing on this week - how to make sure we are totally clinical in putting away chances.

I thought it was a great performance against Chelsea and it's the positives from that, not the momentary upset at losing out on a few refereeing decisions, that we should concentrate on.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

I imagine only an official complaint by the club would be listened to seriously.

you'll never guess what the mail are reporting!

Good! Although it's a pity it doesn't mention the QPR game too because it would add far more weight to the case against that bellend.

Crying foul: Villa boss Lambert wants action over refereeing gaffes after controversial loss at Chelsea

Paul Lambert has made an official complaint about referee Kevin Friend following Aston Villa’s controversial defeat at Chelsea.

The Villa boss contacted Mike Riley, head of Professional Game Match Officials, the body which monitors referees’ performances, to voice his concerns after his side’s 2-1 Premier League defeat on Wednesday night.

Lambert was furious that an elbow by Branislav Ivanovic was only deemed worthy of a caution and a handball in the penalty area by John Terry went unseen.

The Scot confronted Friend on the pitch at the final whistle and had another exchange with him later in the referees’ room. ‘I’ve spoken to Mike Riley,’ said Lambert. ‘It’s up to him to watch the DVD. All I want is for the big decisions to be right.

‘Everyone thought it was a penalty. I’m pretty sure it would have been given at the other end. It was a stone-waller. And it was an elbow from Ivanovic.

‘All I can do now is take it up with Mike and get my point across. It’s not going to bring us back any points, but I could see from the touchline that the ball was handled.’

Lambert believes the top clubs are given favourable treatment, a trend he noticed while playing for Celtic. ‘We got decisions because you have a massive crowd behind you; it’s human nature,’ he said.

Amendments to the rules in the wake of Wigan winger Callum McManaman’s tackle last season on Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara allow for retrospective punishment to be handed down even when a referee has cautioned a player, as Ivanovic was after clashing with Benteke.

However, Lambert stopped short of calling for any action to be taken against the Serb, explaining: ‘I would never say, “Review that and take retribution against Ivanovic”.

‘It’s gone. There’s no point. It’s just a major, game-changing incident. That’s what annoyed me the most — two major incidents, the officials got them wrong.

‘I can understand why you might look at it again if a serious injury was involved but I don’t want to do it. It’s gone. It’s not a hard-luck story.’

How much do referees get paid these days? A couple of grand a game? With the amount of money in the permier league, having the most important man on the pitch being paid a comparative pittance is very dangerous. I'm not implying Friend was bought, I think he is just incompetent and unable to handle pressure, but when you could pay a ref's annual salary for a week's wage of a bench-warmer, the chances of corruption are that much higher.

Kevin Friend won't be referee for a Villa game again this season, thats for sure.

If he is, I'll be curious to see now that we've made the complaint. He might become our bestest buddy or at least make damn sure he treats the grey areas with a bit more compassion for us.

Kevin Friend won't be referee for a Villa game again this season, thats for sure.

If he is, I'll be curious to see now that we've made the complaint. He might become our bestest buddy or at least make damn sure he treats the grey areas with a bit more compassion for us.

The problem is with Taylor, his fellow referees could understand why he gave the decisions, with Friend not one referee has backed him in those calls. The only person to back the decisions was the 'Special' one.

Schezney should have been sent off but luckily we managed to win the game, albeit with a catalogue of reffing errors after.

I don't think our win at Arsenal was down to "luck". Arsenal were outplayed and we won fair and square.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to obsess over refereeing decisions. The Ivanovic elbow and the Terry handball could have been ruled the other way but then so could Gabby's second penalty against Arsenal. It's important for a manager and team to take these things in their stride and get on with the business of trying to win. I hate to see players arguing with refs over decisions and manageers whingeing about them after a game. All we achieved was two needless yellow cards, which may tell against us later in the season.

We would have beaten Chelsea if Weimann had been slightly smarter with two cast-iron chances and that is what the team should be focusing on this week - how to make sure we are totally clinical in putting away chances.

I thought it was a great performance against Chelsea and it's the positives from that, not the momentary upset at losing out on a few refereeing decisions, that we should concentrate on.

Just my opinion, of course.

Can't agree with you here Briny ear, to pay no attention to these matters is doing the opposite of what Fergie did at Old Trafford and we all know his actions created amongst other things an extra 5 minutes of free "Fergie time" for Man U when he repeatedly berated the officials over blowing up too quickly and how many times did Man U get a suspect decision during those extra minutes? Now that's something worth checking and analyzing.. I would even hazard a guess that it may have won them a title or two.

Now transfer that "effect" onto Aston Villa... a team regularly on the receiving end of poor game changing decisions against these top 4 or 5 clubs. If we make enough of a fuss about it then maybe the pendulum will swing in our favour a bit more often? Look at what Arsenal did the other day.. The ref there was proven to have gotten the big calls correct in that game and yet the players, manager fans and London media berated him massively because they didn't get the usual "favours". Surely this in itself is evidence that there is something awry? It is saying they are so used to getting all the decisions in a game that when a referee calls it correctly for once they are in shock!.. 

So i think we have to put pressure on as football is a game of tiny margins and an official having a psychological pressure from one team and not the other will, as has been proved with the "Fergie time" scenario, err on the side of the easiest option. Due to those tiny margins usually, at this level, being the difference between winning and losing as we saw on Wednesday, it is essential we don't make the mistake of tamely taking it on the chin and presuming we can win regardless by improving our finishing. I think we also have to accept that we cannot compete with certain clubs for quality of players so are we to give up the ghost and simply allow the officials to beat up on us too?

It has already cost us 3 points this season and for me we suffer many of these injustices because past Villa managers, with the exception of MON, have wimpishly just accepted it.. One of the main reasons that Fergie, Wenger or the "Special one" have that extra edge is because they publicly berate any official and their players surround the ref and pressure him.. then their fans jump on the bandwagon as we saw at Arsenal which is then picked up by the media... All of this helps to pressure the officials which absolutely has a bearing on their future decisions.... Or we could just accept it and continue to be on the wrong end of those decisions i guess?...

We lost a cup final partly as a result of this a few seasons back and it has already cost us 3 points this season don't forget. I can remember a few times we have lost in "Fergie time" too. I can also remember losing quite a few games against these sides to very dodgy penalties or being not given something when it was clear as day.  Against the "lesser" teams i would agree with other posters that things tend to average out but against the top 4 or 5 clubs? Not a chance.

If you have a set of perfectly balanced scales just one grain of sand will dictate which way those scales tilt and those are the tiny margins at play in the Premier League very often so yes it does matter in my opinion.

How much do referees get paid these days? A couple of grand a game? With the amount of money in the permier league, having the most important man on the pitch being paid a comparative pittance is very dangerous. I'm not implying Friend was bought, I think he is just incompetent and unable to handle pressure, but when you could pay a ref's annual salary for a week's wage of a bench-warmer, the chances of corruption are that much higher.

they get paid £50k a year plus match fees

FWIW I completely agree, not because I think they are more open to bribes etc but they are reffing 17 year olds who earn their annual salary in a month, think the disparity has become too great

IMO they should have a ref centre at st georges park, pay them well, make them based there, spend time in the week working on fitness and then most importantly assessing each other, I think that on the Thursday morning all the other refs should have watched the match footage and then had a discussion on what they would have done, wouldn't necessarily stop shit decisions but it should at least help improve consistency, the FA obviously have no interest in making the refs accountable in front of us, but it would nice to think they are doing it behind closed doors amongst each other rather than just riley

Any bad calls in the Liverpool game?

The one which has been highlighted was the Guzan save in the 89th minute.

The ref did not give a penalty, replays back it up showing that Guzan had touched the ball. Great call by Clattenberg. Did he see the save or was it a bit of guess work?

Although a bizarrely missed double off the ball clattering on Gabby in the area by Gerrard and Agger in the first half which went unpunished.

• 1 month later...

so we aren't talking about the marginal offside we benfitted from?!

I know some might say it was only his big toe or something but id have been fuming if city had scored that

torres 2nd yellow was probably the biggest howler this weekend though, that's never a foul let alone a booking, that got the same punishment as what ivanovic did to benteke? not right

torres 2nd yellow was probably the biggest howler this weekend though, that's never a foul let alone a booking, that got the same punishment as what ivanovic did to benteke? not right

Tbh Torres should have been sent off the first time. 

As for the biggest howler(s) did you see our friend Friend's performance at Hull? 

Â