Arsenal

Ghost

They looked at him before we got him and apparently thought they would wait another year and spent their budget then we stepped in and got him much to their surprise.

I don't actually think they will come in for him now but my point was more to emphasis that they are still a little light in certain areas, Benteke in their side would really take them up a notch.

Wenger must kick himself whenever the big man scores.

• Like 1

Would love to see Arsenal win the league this year, but that depends on them going the entire season without injuries to a number of key players. Should Giroud, Koscielny or Flamini get injured then I think they'll struggle. On the other hand, if they signed Benzema or Lewandowski in January then this could unbalance the team and force them to play in a less effective way. I suspect it might take them another year to be back among the title challengers.

Would love to see Arsenal win the league this year, but that depends on them going the entire season without injuries to a number of key players. Should Giroud, Koscielny or Flamini get injured then I think they'll struggle. On the other hand, if they signed Benzema or Lewandowski in January then this could unbalance the team and force them to play in a less effective way. I suspect it might take them another year to be back among the title challengers.

Lewandowski is a good shout if Bayern don't beat them to it. I bet they'd be able to get him at a good price too.

Lewandowski is a good shout if Bayern don't beat them to it. I bet they'd be able to get him at a good price too.

The current rumours suggest that Guardiola has gone off him slightly and the deal with Bayern is anything but done. We shall see.

Yep, £0.  Lewandowski is available on a Bosman next summer.  

As crazy as this sounds I don't know if Lewandowski would be a better option than Giroud for them. Giroud is so helpful in the link up play and Lewandowski isnt on the same level as him as a passer

Agree, they have only been tested once this season (first home game, they were outclassed by superior opposition) but have had it easy since.

While the fixture list has been kind to them, they have had a couple of big tests other than us. The beat Spurs when everybody was expecting Spurs to win, and they played an excellent Napoli side off the park in the Champions League. They've got Palace next week which they will probably win but then they have a four game run where they play Chelsea, Liverpool, Dortmund and Manchester United. If they come through that with two or three wins then I think we can talk about them as serious contenders.

We have to remember they had a fantastic run at the backend of last season which got them into the top 4 . The Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U games coming up may show us whether they are serious title contenders. They have an abundance of talent in midfield, Walcott could play upfront when hes fit. Good goalkeeper, defence is better than it was. I don't see why they cant win the league. For me its between them, Chelsea and City.

That run was accompanied by Ramseys uptick in form at the end of last year, he really was one of their standout performers down the stretch

As crazy as this sounds I don't know if Lewandowski would be a better option than Giroud for them. Giroud is so helpful in the link up play and Lewandowski isnt on the same level as him as a passer

Sure can't harm to have both though.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Agree, this is what I mean by the prospect of a new signing unbalancing the team.

Even though he spent the summer bidding for strikers?

The only one we know he lodged a concrete bid for was Suarez and thats a little different. Unlike lewandowski, Suarez could play behind the striker (pre ozil signing)or even on the wing, so Giroud could still be the main striker. If he signed a guy who's more of a poacher like Lewandowski or Higuain he'd have to play them as the striker and lose girouds link up play or go 4-4-2 which would waste all their good central midfielders. So his bid was for a guy that can play other roles besides out and out striker.

Then there's the whole other idea that maybe the bids were just to appease the fans.

Because of Özil and the way they are playing at the moment, even allowing for Wenger being their manager, I now want them to win the league and I hope against hope that they won't capitulate once the weather deteriorates. They'll need luck with injuries and they'll need other sides to continue dropping points for when their inevitable drop in form comes but their highlight reel on MOTD on Saturday was irresistable. You can't fail but to root for a side playing that kind of football unless you had a specific bias not to (like being a Spurs fan).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â