Leaking Washing Machine

AndyBM

it does more work in he house than the missus does :-)

anyway, thought id ask on this forum as most of you seem clever/life experienced enough (polite way to say old)

our washing machine is leaking, not sure where from yet as we need to pull it out, is it likely to be a simple repair?

thanks

Could be from a variety of places. You could get it out, take the back off and try to see where it's coming from.

Depends how mechanically minded you are really to decide if you can tackle it yourself. May well find that the drum seal has gone which means drum out. Or it could be from a split hose or front seal or anything.

I had a panic last week as mine wouldn't spin and dumped a load of water on the floor. Took the back and top off, put it on, immediately spotted that there was a pipe that had popped out and was spraying water everywhere. Stuck it back in with a bit of silicone, been working perfectly again all week.

Washing machines are very simple, you'll see when you take the back and top off, a drum a motor a belt and some electronics at the top plus a few rubber pipes. You should be able to see where the water is coming from. Be very careful though, there is a lot of electricity going through it!

I had a panic last week as mine wouldn't spin and dumped a load of water on the floor. Took the back and top off, put it on, immediately spotted that there was a pipe that had popped out and was spraying water everywhere. Stuck it back in with a bit of silicone, been working perfectly again all week.

Washing machines are very simple, you'll see when you take the back and top off, a drum a motor a belt and some electronics at the top plus a few rubber pipes. You should be able to see where the water is coming from. Be very careful though, there is a lot of electricity going through it!

My dad was killed doing exactly what you did you nutter.

Could be a full filter clean it  ....or if you say have a whirpool ...they have the water out at the top of the machine and something could be lodged further on down ....take off the pipe big deep breath blow .....could work 

Hit it with a hammer.

Or check the inlet valve, unless you can smell stale water I doubt ots your outlet. It could be just a seal on the door depending on where the water is, but hitting it with a hammer will help.

My dad was killed doing exactly what you did you nutter.

I didn't touch it whist it was on, just looked and was able to see the problem, turned it off and fixed it.

Does the water smell?  If it does its waste water so check the outlet pipe for damage.

Best bet is to get the machine out (drying the floor beforehand) and run a full cycle.  You are looking for at what point the water starts pumping out as to where you will need to be looking.

Â