AndyClarke

Just got into this properly. Started unemployed and landed the Roma job about 15 games in while they were 13th. Ended up finishing 5th and got a Europa League place which I was pretty pleased with. Signed Ronaldinho on a free who was fantastic in the deep lying playmaker role. Adem Ljajic didn't score in the entire season, awful for such a highly rated forward! Main disappointment was a 6-0 defeat to Inter, but De Rossi got sent off after 15 minutes - his discipline over the season was truly awful with 8 yellows and 2 reds.

Only criticism I have is, like previous FMs, form seems irrelevant to the teams you're playing. Milan were having an awful season and they play me and win somewhat convincingly, seems to happen fairly often IMO. Love the game though.

Just had it update through Steam. Now my Villa team play with black numbers. It's annoying.

Yeah, just came on here to moan about that. It's bothering me much more than it should.

Has this happened to everyone's game with the Villa home shirts - long-running saves and new starts alike?

Anybody got a clue why/if there's a fix/where the best place to report it to SI is? I'm assuming just the patch feedback thread but I wanted to check if it was all or just some of us...

I've never been able to get 4-2-3-1 to work on FM, so let me know how you get on!

Same fella, played 8 games with Villa, who over the last three seasons have finished 6th, 4th and 2nd, and I can't win a game for shite.

It always seem to be unbalanced to me. I can get a couple of results early on with it, but then the opposition seem to work it out and exploit the wide open spaces between my wingers and full backs, and absolutely annihilate us.

Weirdly, I have currently got a 3-1-2-2-2 working really well, which I would expect to get smashed down the flanks with, but don't. Have used it for over 5 seasons now, too.

I don't like gaps on my pitch so I tend to have players in most lines on the tactics screen.

I use 41221 and 42121 against teams playing with 1 striker, and 5212 against teams with 2 strikers (this isn't a definite thing I do, just a guide in general). I usually change the formation slightly depending on the usual formation of my opposition.

I've slowly progressed and finished 4th in my 3rd (I think) season with Villa.

I'm playing a 4-1-3-1-1 which is working well, currently unbeaten in the league.

What league, you ask?

The West Midlands (Regional) League of course. I'm manager of Bartley Green in the 11th tier of English football :D, shout out to Muzzy Izzet helping me out on the weekends as my assistant.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Haven't been playing this much, it has just been left open in my tray. Used editor to give Villa a bit of money, but started new game with no transfer budgets in first window.

Only gave the club 45m in the bank, will see if that is used for the squad.

Offer one of my players to clubs for £15m.

Player is unhappy that I'm trying to get rid of him. He wants to stay at the club.

So I reject £15m bid from Dortmund.

Player unhappy that he's not allowed to speak to Dortmund.

:huh:  :bang:

• Like 1

I'm really struggling with this. Did well in first season with Villa, strengthened a bit in the summer then went to seed and got the sack in Feb. Started again with Villa, and no real joy this time either.  Can't seem to find a good tactic (I've mainly used 4-2-3-1) and players just keep making ridiculous errors every game. Definitely much harder than FM11 - the last one I played at length. 

Offer one of my players to clubs for £15m.

Player is unhappy that I'm trying to get rid of him. He wants to stay at the club.

So I reject £15m bid from Dortmund.

Player unhappy that he's not allowed to speak to Dortmund.

:huh:  :bang:

I never really pay attention to player unhappiness, for the most part it's easy to change/has no actual effect on the game. Only if they decide they don't want to negotiate a new contract does it ever come into play.

Finally got into to a game and it coincides with the discovery of a monstrous 4-2-4 tactic discovered on FM Base.  

4 games in and 4 comfortable wins, beat West Ham 3-1 away and Southampton 4-1 away. I know it's effectively cheating but I really can't be bothered with changing tactics game to game to counter specific threats. I want to be able to run through the seasons, sign some bargains, make some profits and win some football matches! 

Surely I am Randy Lerner's dream manager.

Finally got into to a game and it coincides with the discovery of a monstrous 4-2-4 tactic discovered on FM Base.  

4 games in and 4 comfortable wins, beat West Ham 3-1 away and Southampton 4-1 away. I know it's effectively cheating but I really can't be bothered with changing tactics game to game to counter specific threats. I want to be able to run through the seasons, sign some bargains, make some profits and win some football matches! 

Do you know the name of the tactic you use?

Just finished my first season. Pretty happy with it. Finished 9th and won the league cup. 

Been using a flat 4-5-1 being defensive against better teams or standard for more even matches. I've found that the flat formation makes you much harder to break down and tends to lead to more consistent results. 

Lost Benteke in January for 30mil and only had loans in so I have a lot of work to do this coming window. I'm hoping to sell Nzog, Bent, Tonev, El Amdi, Bennett. I'll need to buy 2 Lw, Rw, Rb, Defensive mid, Advance playmaker and an Lb. I figure loans are going to be important again but with Spurs, Chelsea and City not making UCL there should be some good players available.

k2dz14.png

73jv2r.png

126d0kx.png

Do you know the name of the tactic you use?

It's called under pressure and it's awesome! The front 4 press from the front.

It's in the tactic sharing centre on fm base.

In this latest patch the match engine version is wildly different from the one I last played (v14.1.3). My super tactics went from being fantastic to utter horror. They relied heaviliy on wing play and crosses, so with those being nerfed, I've had to change up

I'm into my third season with Villa on this patch. Had a very inconsistent 1st season and it continued into the second. Scoring lots of goals but conceding more than I have ever done in FM. I finally gave up on my own football logic and went searching for something else. I found a great tactic in the 2nd half of last season that resulted in a long unbeaten run to clinch 4th in the league. Have been tweaking and experimenting with it since and now enjoying the fruits of this tactic in the 3rd  season. Top of the leage after 33 games, and in the semis of CL and FA cup. Not scoring as many goals as before, but 2 out of 3 games is a clean sheet and that makes me very happy. So far conceded only 18 goals in 33 league games (28 in 51 in all comp), which is remarkable compared to the first two seasons (between 50 and 60 in the league).

The solution for me to conceding less seems fairly simple.

- Play narrow

- Drop deeper
- Use an anchorman
(also tight marking on the 5 defending players and more closing down on the full backs)

I'm no longer getting balls over the top, there are no wide open gaps at the back to exploit. Most goals conceded are set pieces, but it's been significantly reduced as the amount of corners have gone down.

Edited by tarjei

Â