VillaGoMarching

Yes I did watch it and it felt lackluster. That you rule possession over the likes as palace should be there bare minimum at this point. I saw a little off the swansea match, felt the same. It`s early days anyway, and you have brought in several late. I gave your team cred, I am not gonna suck your cock as well. Take it or leave it.

Sorry if taken that way, it wasn't intended, just picked your post at random to make a more general point about how people have been describing our first two matches as if we played badly when in fact the game against Swansea was as good as I've seen up play in the last 12 months, and the game against Crystal Palace wasn't too shoddy either.

Edited by TartarugaJones

What's utterly ridiculous is skys gobshite presenter stalking a director of Madrid, just watched him follow this bloke whilst shouting "can you tell us anything on bale, I'm looking for a yes or no answer here, will it be done this weekend?"

• Like 1

spurs have looked pretty decent to me, and I can see them making a push on the top 3 this season tbh. Will take a bit of time for all the players to settle but I think personally they've done great business and fair play. I'm bored of the same clique always finishing in the top 4 so fresh faces are always welcome, if Spurs do it, then it's fine by me, on the proviso GlastonSpur is instabanned from this forum if that happens. 

Squad looks good on paper, in an FM2012 kinda way.

Exactly, it's full of 'talent' that haven't proved anything at the top level yet many are quick to call them 'formidable' or a 'great' team. I'm sorry but formidable/great teams win things, they don't just go and flirt with 4th, let's just see what they do this season and the ones to come, I say they do nothing more than finish 4th.

As I said before, they have lost their only world class player and their idea of a replacement is some guy from Italy who has 3 caps for Argentina and one good season for Roma.

I hope they win the league, at least it would be from self generated income. However, good players don't always make good teams, man city and Chelsea have both shown this, even man u had this happen pre Ferguson.

Edited by tinker

I hope they win the league, at least it would be from self generated income. However, good players don't always make good teams, man city and Chelsea have both shown this, even man u had this happen pre Ferguson.

Please no, their fans will be even more unbearable then they already are.

Jury still very much out for me, they've paid big money on a few players who, are not really TOP players are they? I must admit I don't follow the other European leagues in detail but have heard very little about these signings. They've got to adapt to the premier league and gel as a unit, time will tell but no guarantee of title challenge or top 4 for me.

5 or 6th is my prediction this year.

• Like 1

Please no, their fans will be even more unbearable then they already are.

Could not agree more!

They've definitely got a better squad then last season. If arsenal don't sign anyone then I fully expect spurs to finish 4th.

Anything less would be shocking after spending that much.

I think the top six are of similar quality, there are obviously stronger and weaker clubs there, but I think any one of them can score 85 points without it having to be an exceptional or unusual outcome, similarly any of them can end up with 60 points, all due to random factors. Since 85 points can win you it, and 60 mean you're outside the top six this means any of those teams can finish anywhere from 6th to 1st just down to randomness, and not talking about outlandish results, but results which fall within the main body of the distribution. Here's an article which explains why:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2013/08/27/arsenal-and-spurs-demonstrate-how-the-Premier League-table-lies-to-us/

They've definitely got a better squad then last season. If arsenal don't sign anyone then I fully expect spurs to finish 4th.

Transfer fees and wages don't equal success, look at QPR last Jan just one of many examples

Transfer fees and wages don't equal success, look at QPR last Jan just one of many examples

True, your one example, but let's not use that as a 50/50 game in terms of spending money and winning/losing in the end. Huge correlation between wages spent/transfer fee paid vs. where you end up in the table, basically because the best players cost more and demand more wages, obviously. Some people also use Benteke as an example of us having to wait to judge every single signing, from Tonev to Bacuna, because that one player turned out to be awesome and he was relatively cheap.

What QPR did was putting together a bunch of mercenaries from many different cultures, and it was clear to see that the chemistry in the team was lacking completely. Honest and less talented players like Clint Hill made 10 times less and fought 10 times as hard, but players like him were dropped at every possible opportunity just to throw in some of the other high-earners. QPR are not a good example of how not to be successful even though you spend a lot of money, they just spent it on too many wrong players and none of them really stood out. Using QPR as an example for this is just like naming Arsenal at the example for the other, buying all these cheap players over several years and still compete for the Champions League. Both feats are equally hard, mastering and failing both approaches!

I think the top six are of similar quality, there are obviously stronger and weaker clubs there, but I think any one of them can score 85 points without it having to be an exceptional or unusual outcome, similarly any of them can end up with 60 points, all due to random factors. Since 85 points can win you it, and 60 mean you're outside the top six this means any of those teams can finish anywhere from 6th to 1st just down to randomness, and not talking about outlandish results, but results which fall within the main body of the distribution. Here's an article which explains why:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2013/08/27/arsenal-and-spurs-demonstrate-how-the-Premier League-table-lies-to-us/

I love this article, definitely true. There are so many different factors that effect (affect?) results and the fact that football fans for instance seem to think that luck doesn't play a factor over the course of the season is very wrong.

Also, to the post above me, Clint Hill was truly terrible last year, no matter how hard he tried.

What would be most interesting to me to isolate the effects of randomness would be to use, say, closing betfair prices for all 380 games to seed a post facto Monte Carlo simulation...

Hell, you wouldn't necessarily even have to Monte Carlo it.

Edited by leviramsey

You could of picked a better example than QPR. What spurs have done and what QPR did are completely different.

Â