Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Since I am American, do I get a pass on all of this? Because I know I just recently told Mooney he was "awesome" and I say "kinda" all the time. And I'm fairly certain no one was harmed because of these things, so I would like to get a pass. Pretty please.

Really doesn't bother me to much tbh, I don't like telling other people what to write :)

True to American fashion, *whispers* if they don't give me the pass, I'm gonna pretend I have it anyway. 8)

Since I am American, do I get a pass on all of this? Because I know I just recently told Mooney he was "awesome" and I say "kinda" all the time. And I'm fairly certain no one was harmed because of these things, so I would like to get a pass. Pretty please.
You and all the other American VTers get a pass.

I have no objection to American spelling for example - in America. I do get slightly annoyed when it starts to supplant British spelling over here.

Same with pronunciation. When we were in the States I was quite happy to order tom-ay-to in a restaurant, while my missus just couldn't bring herself to say it - she stuck with tom-ah-to, and got blank looks! When in Rome and all that.

There are a few American usages that do annoy me - one is "alternate" when they mean "alternative" (e.g. CD including "alternate versions"). It's a degradation of meaning. "Alternate" is a pefectly good adjective, meaning "every other one" (1, 3, 5, 7 are alternate numbers); if you want a word meaning "different", use "alternative".

I was mainly having a moan at Brits. :) I'd expect Americans to use their definitions or it would be a bit strange. One I would like to ban is 'soccer', I don't care if it stands for associated football!

:D I get grief all the time because I'm starting to say certain things we would never say here. Thanks to that fella of mine and probably all of you in some small part. The only thing I can't stand with pronunciation in England is the word "garage"....that and the spelling versus pronunciation of some of your cities. Everything else I fully get and in some cases prefer. Just the "garage" thing gets to me.

I also understand not calling it soccer. But when I'm in my own country I get a world of shit if I don't call it that and in England I get death threats if I do call it that. I normally just say whatever I want in the end ;)

And Mooney, I will tell everyone and hopefully, with time, it can change, and we can all move on....together. :P

Garage. Hmmmm.

British version can be either "garridge" (which is what I suspect you are talking about) or "gararzhe", but with the emphasis on the first syllable in each case.

The US version is the same as the British "gararzhe", but with the emphasis on the second syllable.

I thing the "garridge" thing comes from treating it like "damage" or "carriage", and similar "[-age] = [-idge]" words.

Incidentally, when I was a kid we always pronounced "nougat" as "nugget". :)

I also understand not calling it soccer. But when I'm in my own country I get a world of shit if I don't call it that and in England I get death threats if I do call it that. I normally just say whatever I want in the end ;)

Call it Scrobbledy Skronk.

Henry Blofeld.....Henry **** Blofeld !! The thing that really pisses me off about him is when he commentates as a delivery is on its way.......he pretty much always says..."He's in....he's there...he bowls.." Why say "in" AND "there" ??? It's the same **** thing !!! I reckon just leave it at "he bowls". We'd all get the picture from that.

I reckon he's trying to emulate Brian Johnston - a proper character & great commentator. Sorry Blowers, your witterings about pigeons flying past, no. 11 buses in the distance & good old hetty smith from andover & her chocolate cakes at tea time just aint funny, ya badgering old fool !!

Henry Blofeld.....Henry **** Blofeld !! The thing that really pisses me off about him is when he commentates as a delivery is on its way.......he pretty much always says..."He's in....he's there...he bowls.." Why say "in" AND "there" ??? It's the same **** thing !!! I reckon just leave it at "he bowls". We'd all get the picture from that.

I reckon he's trying to emulate Brian Johnston - a proper character & great commentator. Sorry Blowers, your witterings about pigeons flying past, no. 11 buses in the distance & good old hetty smith from andover & her chocolate cakes at tea time just aint funny, ya badgering old fool !!

Wrong, wrong and so wrong.

Blofeld is every thing that is good about TMS.

Henry Blofeld's father (Tom Blofeld, b. 1903, d. 1986) went to Eton with Ian Fleming and his name may have been [1] the inspiration for the name of James Bond supervillain, Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Wikipedia

[1] I'd say most definitely WAS.

Â