Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

Suffice to say, this has less than zero to do with my views on that place.

This is kinda the black and white argument.  I'm certainly not expecting any red carpet treatment or doffing of caps.  I would like assistance if I ask though.  An attempt to speak French is not met 'half way' by the other person.  It's met with a sneer.  To adapt to my surroundings I'd have to become an utter word removed.  When the French tourist board has to plead with its own people to be nice to tourists you know you've a problem.
  I have other stories too but I think neither side is for moving here.

I guess we both had very different experiences in that city then.  To this day it's still the only place I've ever been mugged.  I hated it before that happened.  I see no reason to spend another second over there.  I genuinely absolutely despise the place.

I'm really curious as to what has made you have this level of hatred towards a place? 

A few incidents doesn't represent a whole city and millions of people?

I've been there once btw and thought central paris was beautiful...outskirts seemed a bit rough mind...and the people seemed like most other big city people (apart from the woman carrying her pet rat on her shoulder on the underground ?)

It's a fairly small spinning rock we live on.  Let's try and see as much of it as we can while we're here.  I've seen France.

On 20/05/2018 at 13:51, bickster said:

London, great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

I've lived in London for the past few years, it definitely is an unaffordable shithole for the most part and once you get bored of going out there's little for you. The quality of life is shite unless you are earning well over £100k a year and/or are happy to live like a student into your 30s. Hence I'm leaving soon!

• Like 2

I’ve found in france when I speak my rudimentary French, the majority just speak English back, it doesn’t bother me but I would like having the conversation to get more fluent, I can read much more than I can speak and listen. The thing is they’re probably at a job they dislike and are just trying to get through the day, not entertain me which is fair enough. It’s better in places where they don’t have as strong a grasp on English as the playing field is level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I was going to write , it's a fantastic city  .... "apart from the French"  in my statement but just took it for granted that everyone knew that :)

The worst thing about Paris by a mile is the traffic, it's mental bad. Everything else is pretty good (apart from overpacked, unreliable rush hour metro trains)

and as for london, i find myself enjoying it more if i have a plan, theres not much to enjoy if i turn up in the centre of town and try and find something to do, even if there is lots on offer i inevitably find it frustrating, if i know im going to camden for the day, or shoreditch, or just popping in and out of the centre so i can go to one shop (last time it was 30 seconds in cinebon) id extend that to pubs and food etc too, 10 lads turning up on the train and trying to find a boozer or a nightclub inevitably leads to disappointment because its so easy to get overwhelmed by it all and go somewhere shit

One for the 'When off and on topic worlds collide' folder.

Media as opposed to fan transfer speculation based around a football club in a playoff final who have no idea what league they'll be in next season, and whose targets (and remaining squad) will be massively different depending on the result.

Speculate after Saturday.  Until then, shut up.

28 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’ve found in france when I speak my rudimentary French, the majority just speak English back, it doesn’t bother me but I would like having the conversation to get more fluent, I can read much more than I can speak and listen. The thing is they’re probably at a job they dislike and are just trying to get through the day, not entertain me which is fair enough. It’s better in places where they don’t have as strong a grasp on English as the playing field is level.

I consider it a victory these days when the whole conversation is conducted in French. I even managed to give a French person directions to somewhere they were looking for in Paris on my last visit, all in French... bloody tourists ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

What are these mysterious experiences people are having in France?!!

My friends and I still 'laugh' about the time I literally walked the length and breadth of North side Paris for an entire night trying to find my hotel after being mugged of everything (clothes not included ...), being laughed at by police, taxis and locals, having no way of contacting or finding the hotel or my mates.  I knew every f**king florist and corner shop in Paris by morning time, eventually stumbled across the hotel as everyone else was getting up, and I slept the entire next day.  Ah, good times.  But yes by all means everyone, tell me about that time someone had fun there.  It might change my mind :D 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've lived in London for the past few years, it definitely is an unaffordable shithole for the most part and once you get bored of going out there's little for you. The quality of life is shite unless you are earning well over £100k a year and/or are happy to live like a student into your 30s. Hence I'm leaving soon!

Couldn't be further from experience. I moved down here from Brum saying I'd do a yea, two at most. 19 years later and I still love it. 

i got a proper face full, the pain of the skin burning and peeling off 3/4 days later, got a small amount of scarring from it

went to lyon for the euros and it was ok, travelled to st etienne for the england game and got treated like something off their shoe, went a month later with the villa got pepper sprayed and in general found pretty much everything about the place the most difficult and unaccommodating place ive ever been to anywhere in the world, absolutely hated it 

and dont get me started on "un beir sil vous plais" meaning half of pint of god awful grimbergen with a orange slice in it, they **** right off with that shit

Edited by villa4europe

Weird. I've been to France far more often than any other country, and my experiences have been 99% positive (you'll get the 1% arseholes absolutely everywhere). The bad things about Paris are no different from the bad things about London. Provincial France is simply delightful - beautiful countryside, fabulous food, and I've never had any problem with the people. I don't really want to live anywhere other than where I am now, but if I had to, it would be rural France in a heartbeat. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah I’m glad i’m not the only one who thinks there’s something off about her.

At the time, I remember being surprised how when she had that affair while being married to Les Dennis, she came out of it fairly well and Neil Morrissey was given loads of stick (or at least that’s how I remember it anyway).

You get the impression that she married Les Dennis solely as a career move.

She was ok in the grimleys though.

I think the same. Everything with her seems staged and choreographed, even down to her relationship with Dennis and her affair with Morrissey.

She's played a blinder though as with no talent she has managed to stay in showbiz for a number of years

• Like 1

Â