Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Not making out I've got depression or anything remotely like that, but last Friday I saw a guy killed in a road accident and it's really affected me.

He was a biker, hit off his bike by one car and then hit by another spinning car. It was truly awful. I could do nothing but watch it unfold in front of me, I felt utter horror for the poor bugger. His bike came right across at me to the point where, driving at 70mph in the outside lane, I ducked / dropped to the passenger seat. The bike was stopped by the cables of the central reservation just showering my car in bits of plastic and gravel. I've been dwelling on it all a bit and I've been close to tears a few times.

Thoroughly horrible.

I saw similar a few years ago and for ages every time I looked in my car mirror I could see this poor sod being tossed in the air and then run over by about 5 vehicles

I had to go to the inquest as I was the closest witness , no next of kin and the bloke was cycling from Pompey to London for a job interview... Poor sod

Not making out I've got depression or anything remotely like that, but last Friday I saw a guy killed in a road accident and it's really affected me.

He was a biker, hit off his bike by one car and then hit by another spinning car. It was truly awful. I could do nothing but watch it unfold in front of me, I felt utter horror for the poor bugger. His bike came right across at me to the point where, driving at 70mph in the outside lane, I ducked / dropped to the passenger seat. The bike was stopped by the cables of the central reservation just showering my car in bits of plastic and gravel. I've been dwelling on it all a bit and I've been close to tears a few times.

Thoroughly horrible.

That's awful, man. To actually have seen it, damn. I saw the aftermath of a bike accident once, in Boston. It was a college kid from Iowa, not used to the city and he lost control and was crushed by a commuter bus. I saw his cracked helmet filled with chunks of brain and skull. Truly horrifying.

I would probably feel it deep in my stomach right then and there, but shortly after shrug my shoulders and forget about it within the next day. I was witness to an accident once and that's exactly what happened. I was on my bike (125cc scooter) and I was a few car lengths behind a guy on a large sportsbike. He had just gone past me and was probably over the speeding limit. He was heading off the highway and didn't see the road separator (slightly higher than a sidewalk), hit it straight on and it stopped his bike dead. He was flung straight up in the air, probably around 5m and landed awkwardly on the highway.

To be honest I would rather have too much than too little empathy. Maybe not in a situation like that, where it throws you off, but in general.

Once saw a woman hit by a car as she was running across the road to catch a bus. Head hit the tarmac, looked like she was killed instantly. Sobering.

I can't compare (thankfully). The worst I've seen was someone tripping over a toe-rope while running between traffic with their hands in their pockets and slamming their face into the ground. Undoubtedly very painful but serves him right really.

Imagine if you were the driver who killed the biker. Jeez

Apart from the initial shock, if I could honestly rationalise in my own mind afterwards that the biker was at fault for the accident then I'd be able to get over it as I would not feel responsible. If however I was at fault then that'd be very different and I can't know for sure how I'd react until I was put in that position.

Imagine if you were the driver who killed the biker. Jeez

Apart from the initial shock, if I could honestly rationalise in my own mind afterwards that the biker was at fault for the accident then I'd be able to get over it as I would not feel responsible. If however I was at fault then that'd be very different and I can't know for sure how I'd react until I was put in that position.

It's hard to say, obvioulsy, until you're in that situation, but I think this is where I'd be at too.

I'm not saying it wouldn't bother me, I'm sure it would. But only for the same reason as someone who just witnessed the crash would be bothered by it.

If I could honestly say I wasn't at fault I don't think I'd be burdened with guilt or anything.

Closest i ever got to anything like that was working in a restaurant. Someone had their baby on the floor in one of those carriers (which they shouldn't have, but anyway). I was carrying a couple of cups, saucers and all, of piping hot black coffee. As I passed the baby one of them moved and slid right to the edge of the saucer. I managed to tilt my hand and stop it at the last possible moment, but honestly it was milimetres away from falling all over the baby, who couldn't have been more than a couple of months old.

That shook me up a bit. Nobody noticed apart from me.

I can see the appeal. They're exciting and I imagine the sense of freedom and speed is wonderful. But the consequences of an accident are too much of a risk I think. The problem is it just takes one stupid car driver and there are plenty of them around.

Motorbikes are stupid.I can't see why anyone would want to ride one, if you have an accident on one, there's a good chance you're going to be killed or maimed. 

I kind of agree, when you think about all of the safety enhancements that have been made to cars over the past few decades, it makes riding a motorbike sound kind of ridiculous. No seat belts, no crumple zones, no air bags, no structural strengthening, nothing. 

I don't see the appeal. I'm also in the "they're pretty stupid" camp.

Watched some of that Isle of Man TT the other day. That shit cray.

Edited by Stevo985

I really don't know if this should or shouldn't piss me off.

The fact that all the cleaning gets done at our offices during the working day. Am I wrong in thinking that other companies do a lot of the cleaning before/after working hours?

It's not uncommon for me to be making a phonecall and have a cleaner shoving a hoover under my desk.

And don't get me started about the toilets. They clean the toilets every day mid morning. Takes them about half an hour and they seem to do a load of toilets at once. Meaning if you need to go, you end up walking around the building trying to find one that's not being cleaned.

Clean it at 5 oclock when everyone's gone home!

It's not uncommon for me to be making a phonecall and have a cleaner shoving a hoover under my desk.

Stevo to person on phone : "Just hold on a sec."

Stevo to cleaner : "GO AWAY YOU IMBECILE. CAN'T YOU SEE I'M ON THE PHONE?".

Stevo to person on phone : "Now where were we."

Spent the morning coaching some awesome kids. Get back to my car; parking ticket. The parking ticket is for exactly what I'm earning by coaching these next couple of days.

I bought a ticket but it flipped over as I put it on my dashboard. Should be granted an appeal but it's still annoying.

I can see the appeal. They're exciting and I imagine the sense of freedom and speed is wonderful. But the consequences of an accident are too much of a risk I think. The problem is it just takes one stupid car driver and there are plenty of them around.

Also,its size allows the rider to travel between cars and thus beat heavy traffic.

Is it cheaper as well? Because in Singapore, motorbikes are a much cheaper alternative to cars that are priced like houses.

Â