Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Curious as to what you're alluding to here?  In what way has society changed that makes children more idiotic/narcisstic/entitled?  Who were they brought up and raised by?

Compare now to say 10, even 15 years ago.

What access they have to things online, how some of them come across online.

Certain types of parents that drag their kids up rather than bring their kids up.

The narcissist thing is/was something that I've also had first hand experience of. Making someone 'the golden child' only carries on that trait that may or may not have gone on through the generations of families.

But unless it's just me getting old, most youngsters nowadays seem to be little bastards than compared to that of say 10/15 years ago.. again, only talking from what I've witnessed and experienced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Because eating food we didn't like the taste of was preferable to going hungry. Food is cheaper and more available now than ever before, but it has not always been like that.

My partner was brought up during the miners strike, and quickly realised that every time she had rabbit stew for tea, the next day one of the kids on the street would be upset because their pet rabbit had "escaped" from it's hutch.

When your basic survival instincts kick in, being fussy is not an option.

Absolutely. I've grown up in an era of really cheap and readily available food. This means a lot more waste - easy come, easy go, as they say. 

I was a bit of a fussy eater as a kid, but not massively. I've got a lot better as i've got older but I rarely refused dinners as a kid, otherwise i'd incur the wrath of my Dad!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My wife bought my grandson a pizza from the co-op. We didnt fancy the 30 minute argument about what he would or wouldnt eat that night so whilst we were having a curry, that little **** could have pizza. Except unbeknownst to us it was bbq base with goose island ipa in the bbq sauce. He had one bite and refused it. We had words as he has had bbq base on pizza before without issue. Strong words. He flatly refused and so I pointed out that we werent made of money and he is taking the mick. Anyway, my wife dives in the freezer for a quick alternative and the pizza is put away for a little bit of snacking by this tubby ****. I had a single bite and it was the rankest thing I have ever tasted. Absolutely awful. Turns out he wasnt being fussy.

I think i've had a BBQ pizza IPA in a can. Northern Monk eh @Davkaus?! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A pro Palestinian protest 'sit in' at New St Station this evening. Jog on, people just want to get home after a long day at work.

I'm not taking a side, I just think it is pointless. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think i've had a BBQ pizza IPA in a can. Northern Monk eh @Davkaus?! :D 

I'd buy it, and be disappointed when that tastes exactly as it sounds.

deaddove.gif?w=970

Had an apple crumble and custard ipa from them a few weeks back. The other half asked if it was nice, and I could only say "No it's **** revolting, but it's amazing that it tastes exactly like apple crumble, custard, and a hoppy beer".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd buy it, and be disappointed when that tastes exactly as it sounds.

deaddove.gif?w=970

I've got two unopened cans from Nothern Monk - apple pie and custard pale ale, and a pina colada IPA.

I can't bring myself to try them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

I've got two unopened cans from Nothern Monk - apple pie and custard pale ale, and a pina colada IPA.

I can't bring myself to try them. 

Haha, I just edited my post as you were replying.

Honestly, it's absolutely spot on if you want apple pie (I thought it was crumble) and custard, and a hoppy IPA. But why would you? :D

It's a fun novelty, I'll give them that, and to be fair, I finished it which is more than I can say about some of their attempts.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Haha, I just edited my post as you were replying.

Honestly, it's absolutely spot on if you want apple pie (I thought it was crumble) and custard, and a hoppy IPA. But why would you? :D

It's a fun novelty, I'll give them that, and to be fair, I finished it which is more than I can say about some of their attempts.

it might be crumble, I was just relying on my fading memory! :)

4 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Giving children food you know they do not like, and punishing them for not eating it is just abusive (my parents favourite dinner time entertainment). 

Training children to be able to eat things they don't like is very important if they are to succeed in life, as turning your nose up at what is served at a dinner party, is a serious a faux pas.

When Thatcher was unable to eat the Saumagen (sow's stomach) ordered especially by Chancellor Kohl, she proved she was a shopkeeper's daughter.

7 hours ago, chappy said:

If you can pay using Apple Pay, why can’t you be refunded using Apple Pay?

You can be. I bought an outside light from B&Qitall using Apple Pay on my portable telephone. Took it back for a refund as it failed after a couple of days or so and no problem.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

You can be. I bought an outside light from B&Qitall using Apple Pay on my portable telephone. Took it back for a refund as it failed after a couple of days or so and no problem.

I believe some retailers are now adopting it for refunds, there was a period where contactless couldn't be refunded to, now some retailers allow this and the same is being adopted for Google Pay and Apple Pay. Given time in the UK it will be more and more common. 

On the other point of discussion, I don't think people are really talking about forcing children to eat what they don't like.

But at the moment if my son had his way he'd have rice krispies, cheesestrings and peanut butter for every single meal.

There's a difference between ensuring your child isn't a problematically fussy eater and forcing them to eat something they don't like

• Like 4

Coca cola was my answer to the first sign of fussy eating. 

What's for dinner dad

Pork casserole , ugh

What's for dinner dad

Pork in coca cola ( no cola involved) mmmm yummy. 

Next week chicken and Haribo veg. Mmmmm yummy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the teachers asked us once if we’d enjoyed our tea the evening before. Eldest had reported their news for the day that they had eaten worms and wine.

Spag Bol.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I used to love the days where reverse psychology worked every time with my daughter.

”there’s no way you’re going to eat all that dinner, no way, it’s impossible”

Big smile on her face as she proved me wrong :lol: 

Counting competition, I bet you can’t eat 4 pieces of carrot.

Dumb dad would get distracted and miss one and get the counting wrong. Sometimes they had to eat 5, 6, 7 pieces of carrot before I got my act together.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Every old person has said this of the younger generation for eternity. Your parents said it about your generation. Your grandparents said it about your parents' generation and so on and so on since the beginning of civilisation

People have biased memories. They think they were brilliant when they were young and they don't like change so the new generation are always doing things wrong.

The truth is you were probably a little word removed when you were young too, and so were all your friends. Because kids are little words removed. 

Most people ultimately are good. But old people like to focus on the few bad kids and compare it to their warped memory of what everyone was like when they were young

It's all a load of nonsense

I get where you are coming from with your post.

I am under no illusion of the past generations and changing with the times etc. i.e 'this generation is worse than the last' mindset. 

Upbringing, worldview, traditions, perspectives differ in many ways. Plus, as with different cultures, if many don't understand the differences and acknowledge them then it leads to generation diversity and it will always be a controversial subject regardless of individuals views and opinions.

I suppose it will always continue the more the world changes and technology etc. evolves.

For me, the point I was mainly referring to is how kids/children are bought up and raised, people seem to churn out children like pellets from a tommy gun because it leads to more money from the DSS, not because they're serious about having a family.

I'm sure you'll have heard the phrase 'some people shouldn't be allowed to have children'. They simply appear to have them for the wrong reasons and as a consequence they end up just being dragged up rather than 'raised', separated families, broken homes, etc and turn out to be little bastards - worse than when me and you were younger. I can't say that was the same about generations past.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But unless it's just me getting old, most youngsters nowadays seem to be little bastards than compared to that of say 10/15 years ago.. again, only talking from what I've witnessed and experienced.

If I remember rightly, some ancient Roman wrote something about children being a pain and that every generation being worse than the last.

I can't say I am that keen on kids myself but that might be because my oxtocin levels are in decline.

As I once heard a wise old woman say, she loved her kids but didn't like them much.

Â