Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

20 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Those are all nicknames. Not the sane as calling them by their first names. It's what the biased media do with the Sky6 teams and it does my head in when our fans join them in doing it.

Whilst I think you sort of have a point, Pep is a nickname.

"Trent" is the main one.

I'm not actually sure there are many other examples.  I do remember a lot of the media referring to Grealish as "Jack" when he played for us, mind.

Finished at work on the 23rd, back today and it seems that I have been locked out of all the work systems and so far, not been let back in. I should be happy as I cant do anything but I know my inbox will be filling up and a million messages will be waiting on teams. Ludicrous that after x days of no use an account is locked and password seemingly reset.

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Finished at work on the 23rd, back today and it seems that I have been locked out of all the work systems and so far, not been let back in. I should be happy as I cant do anything but I know my inbox will be filling up and a million messages will be waiting on teams. Ludicrous that after x days of no use an account is locked and password seemingly reset.

you dont work for twitter do you?

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The perils of having time off, Emails. I Always check at home now day to day, or they pop up on my phone. In days gone by it was 150+ Emails after coming back from holiday and about 5 of them were worth reading. 😂

Just now, foreveryoung said:

The perils of having time off, Emails. I Always check at home now day to day, or they pop up on my phone. In days gone by it was 150+ Emails after coming back from holiday and about 5 of them were worth reading. 😂

Sounds like the kind of tedious shit you should be doing on the clock, IMO.

Life's too short to do unnecessary admin for free in your own time - I get doing extra time when shit's on fire, but to keep on top of the spam? Sod that.

• Like 4

Depending on my mood and how much other shit is piling up, I have one of two strategies, a fairly dull but relaxed hour with my feet up and a pot of coffee combing through the list of emails, or if there's other stuff kicking off, a quick scan for anything flagged as important or from my boss, then a ctrl+A, delete with the assumption that anything important will get chased :D 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Whilst I think you sort of have a point, Pep is a nickname.

"Trent" is the main one.

I'm not actually sure there are many other examples.  I do remember a lot of the media referring to Grealish as "Jack" when he played for us, mind.

Again Trent is just because of the long surname. Same reason names like James Ward-Prowse or Sean Wright-Phillips get abbreviated to their three initials. 

Trent is just used (although TAA is used too) because it's quite a unique name. 

Same with Pep really. If his name was John Guardiola then nobody would call him John because you wouldn't know who they were talking about

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again Trent is just because of the long surname. Same reason names like James Ward-Prowse or Sean Wright-Phillips get abbreviated to their three initials. 

Same with Pep really. If his name was John Guardiola then nobody would call him John because you wouldn't know who they were talking about

But they don't when pundits talk about them.  They always say "Ward-Prowse" or "Wright-Phillips" or "Wan-Bissaka" rather than "James" or "JWP", "Sean", "Aaron".  Agreed with the point on "Trent" being unique, though.  That must be the reason it happens rather than purely long surname. (Oxlade-Chamberlain is always Oxlade-Chamberlain too).

The only other player who I think gets exactly the same treatment is Kepa, because people can't be arsed saying Arrizabalaga... though the same doesn't happen for Cesar Azpilicueta.  Go figure :D 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Without wishing to argue this further,  given I, by definition of the thread title, recognise its not something I should really care about, I've never, ever, heard a commentator shout "SWP, ooh that was close", or "what a free kick by JWP".

I get the points being made in argument to my initial grievance, but thats just way off what I was saying and totally strawmans my whole post. 

Anyway, it seems you are more pissed off with me being pissed off about the things that I shouldn't than I was to start with. 

Let's move on. :)

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But they don't when pundits talk about them.  They always say "Ward-Prowse" or "Wright-Phillips" or "Wan-Bissaka" rather than "James" or "JWP", "Sean", "Aaron".  Agreed with the point on "Trent" being unique, though.  That must be the reason it happens rather than purely long surname. (Oxlade-Chamberlain is always Oxlade-Chamberlain too).

The only other player who I think gets exactly the same treatment is Kepa, because people can't be arsed saying Arrizabalaga... though the same doesn't happen for Cesar Azpilicueta.  Go figure :D 

It's just random really. Some people it sticks with, some it doesn't. Gabriel Agbonlahor gets abbreviated to Gabby but Juan Pablo Angel never got abbreviated to anything other than Angel.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's just random really. Some people it sticks with, some it doesn't. Gabriel Agbonlahor gets abbreviated to Gabby but Juan Pablo Angel never got abbreviated to anything other than Angel.

If anything, Juan Pablo Angel got the full name treatment - "It's Juan Pablo Angel for Aston Villa!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Without wishing to argue this further,  given I, by definition of the thread title, recognise its not something I should really care about, I've never, ever, heard a commentator shot SWP, ooh that was close, or what a free kick by JWP. 

I get the points being made in argument to my initial grievance, but thats just way off what I was saying and totally strawmans my whole post. 

Anyway, it seems you are more pissed off with me being pissed off about the things that I shouldn't than I was to start with. 

Let's move on. :)

I'm not remotely pissed off :thumb: 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that's really what I was getting at. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough and if so that's my fault. But whilst we called him Gabby, the media would always use Agbonlahor or Gabby Agnonlohor but never just Gabby, however if he played for one of the sky 6 they would shorten it to just Gabby. Does this make any sense at all? I'm genuinely not trying to be difficult here.

• Like 1

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

I think that's really what I was getting at. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough and if so that's my fault. But whilst we called him Gabby, the media would always use Agbonlahor or Gabby Agnonlohor but never just Gabby, however if he played for one of the sky 6 they would shorten it to just Gabby. Does this make any sense at all? I'm genuinely not trying to be difficult here.

Interestingly though, Gary Neville LOVES to say "SirAlexFerguson" or "ManchesterUnitedFootballClub" when he's ranting. Why is that

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

To be fair I've heard pundits refer to him as Gabby loads of times.

Commentators wouldn't, but then commentators don't say Trent either. They'd use the full name (well at least the main commentators would)

I think it's just one of those things. Some players get nicknames or abbreviations, some don't. I really don't think it has anything to do with big club bias, even though big club bias is definitely a thing

Just now, KentVillan said:

Interestingly though, Gary Neville LOVES to say "SirAlexFerguson" or "ManchesterUnitedFootballClub" when he's ranting. Why is that

Here's one that pisses me off (or used to piss me off). There were certain commentators or pundits who used to insist on calling Alex Ferguson AleC Ferguson

I could never find out why. I thought maybe it was a scottish thing that people called Alex are often called Alec so those commentators were trying to fit in. But as far as I ever found out, that wasn't the case.

Shall we bring this thread back round to the minutiae of everyday life... I just got a delivery from Uber Eats, was missing the sauces. I'd paid extra for two pots of sauce and they just sent it dry, sauceless.

If I complain does the driver get sacked? Or does the small independent restaurant take the blame? I'm pissed off with myself for ordering it

Â