Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I finally got a credit card. I've never had one. I'm not happy about it, but needs must.

But that's not what pisses me off.

Now I've got it, I've tried to use it, and it's a **** nightmare. Constantly having to double check transactions is annoying, but now it's decided to just decline payments. I'm nowhere near the credit limit, but making a purchase it just decides I can't. I discussed it with the provider and all they can say is the transaction triggered 'automated fraud procedures' and they can't agree the payment, I should use alternative ways of paying. Which now leaves me wary of using it. The car has had to have more work done today (expect to see a post on that shortly) I'm terrified I'm going to go pay for the work and it'll decline.

In some ways it's good, it discourages using it, but I've got the thing to make use of it, I'd rather not have anxiety as to whether I can pay for goods and services every time it comes out of my wallet.

I guess if you’ve never had one your credit rating could be low and this relative surge in borrowing is tripping an alarm.

Hopefully it’ll sort itself for you mate.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I've never had a credit card because the extra admin (remembering to pay the balance so not to pay interest) just seems like a complete ball ache.

My wife has had one, for our wedding, but that was paid off straight away if I remember correctly. 

She also books my train travel for work, so I claim on expenses and send her the money for anything I've used it for every 2 weeks.  I hate expenses/timesheets etc.. proper admin ball ache :(  

I have a credit card with the same people as my current account (Lloyds). The interest rate is terrible but it appears on my app alongside my current account balance so I don’t forget to pay it.

For stuff like flights and holidays I always book on the credit card. Same for other big online purchases like TV, phones, computers etc. 

I should look into cancelling it and getting another one with them with a better rate.

You could just put a reminder in your phone calendar to check/pay balance once a month?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a credit card with the same people as my current account (Lloyds). The interest rate is terrible but it appears on my app alongside my current account balance so I don’t forget to pay it.

For stuff like flights and holidays I always book on the credit card. Same for other big online purchases like TV, phones, computers etc. 

I should look into cancelling it and getting another one with them with a better rate.

You could just put a reminder in your phone calendar to check/pay balance once a month?

Absolutely not, no :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

That's really not how they're supposed to work, so what you're experiencing is not normal. I suggest asking to be put onto a person who isn't trying to pawn you off at the earliest possible convenience. And if you're not already, I'd go with a credit card provided to you directly through your own bank. At least that way you can complain at them from 2 different angles.

Yeah I get the feeling it's not the greatest... service from the provider. We'll see. It kinda baffles me that they'd decline a purchase that was made with a reputable company that was also authorised in their app, but seems something set them off. If it happens one more time I'm going apeshit.

Anywho it just managed to work with the garage, thank ****. £196. Ooft. A fifth of what I paid for it. The cheap runabout is getting less cheap...

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yeah I get the feeling it's not the greatest... service from the provider. We'll see. It kinda baffles me that they'd decline a purchase that was made with a reputable company that was also authorised in their app, but seems something set them off. If it happens one more time I'm going apeshit.

Anywho it just managed to work with the garage, thank ****. £196. Ooft. A fifth of what I paid for it. The cheap runabout is getting less cheap...

£196? That's peanuts. 

I paid more than that for front brakes and a track rod end. 

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

£196? That's peanuts. 

I paid more than that for front brakes and a track rod end. 

That's on top of £150 a fortnight ago, and a couple of hundred for a pipe in the spring. And the cars 'worth' about a grand so hurts that bit more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I've never had a credit card because the extra admin (remembering to pay the balance so not to pay interest) just seems like a complete ball ache.

You can set it up so the balance of the card is cleared every month via DD

Thats not normal service @Chindie. It shouldn't be flagging up fraud markers like that all the time. 

I use my credit card 50-60 times a month - everything goes on there... petrol, shopping, train tickets, pints, car park charges, etc. Never had a problem. Used it in 20 plus countries and only blocked once (large bar bill in HK). If I do large online transactions then I have to verify it with a code sent to my phone, but thats about it. 

I use mine as I get 'rewards' back on it from the provider. Its not brilliant, but better than a kick in the face. I've had about £100 of amazon vouchers from about £20k of expenditure, and also it keeps my current account clear of multiple transactions. I clear the balance every month. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

You can set it up so the balance of the card is cleared every month via DD

That's what I do. Interest rate is irrelevant. The only red cent my CC company have ever got off me was when I had to use it as an ATM card to draw money while abroad. Otherwise I'm squeaky. @lapal_fan no admin, you can just fire your PA.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's what I do. Interest rate is irrelevant. The only red cent my CC company have ever got off me was when I had to use it as an ATM card to draw money while abroad. Otherwise I'm squeaky. @lapal_fan no admin, you can just fire your PA.

Its what I do to. I have the CC paid out of a specific space in my current account. Every time I use it, I bung the money into that space straightaway. Then it just gets paid out automatically every month. Approaching payment day, I just check the correct money is in there just in case its out by a penny or two (it never is)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Ebay. Trying to sell something for first time in years and nobody bids, they just keep making offers.  

Is there a way for me to turn that off?

I rejoined ebay a few months back to sell a load of stuff, clothes mainly including 6 pairs of jeans bought in LA in 2003 but never worn (I'd forgotten about them in the loft) CK, Levi's etc......anyway,  all is going well until the words removed emerge offering crap amounts or asking if I'd take such and such a price - I say yes, then they don't come back to me....even worse, 2 buyers never paid me so I had to relist. One cheeky effer gave neutral feedback cos I'd listed something as new when I really wanted to choose "never worn"....his feedback went on to admit he was happy with the price and quality of the item but why did I list it as new ?? He'd got a top brand runner's rainjacket for a ¼ of the retail price but still moaned.

There was a reason I jacked ebay in years ago and its starting to come back to me now 😡

As for "watchers".... I gave up being excited on that. They ain't really watching, just browsing and earmarking items and forgetting that they had.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I rejoined ebay a few months back to sell a load of stuff, clothes mainly including 6 pairs of jeans bought in LA in 2003 but never worn (I'd forgotten about them in the loft) CK, Levi's etc......anyway,  all is going well until the words removed emerge offering crap amounts or asking if I'd take such and such a price - I say yes, then they don't come back to me....even worse, 2 buyers never paid me so I had to relist. One cheeky effer gave neutral feedback cos I'd listed something as new when I really wanted to choose "never worn"....his feedback went on to admit he was happy with the price and quality of the item but why did I list it as new ?? He'd got a top brand runner's rainjacket for a ¼ of the retail price but still moaned.

There was a reason I jacked ebay in years ago and its starting to come back to me now 😡

As for "watchers".... I gave up being excited on that. They ain't really watching, just browsing and earmarking items and forgetting that they had.

paging @Xela (I assume that smelly old bastard still has a pager on his belt..) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â