Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Off the top of my head:

Blade Runner, The Thing, Escape from New York, Die Hard, Aliens, Hardware, Platoon, Raging Bull, Blue Velvet, Shining, King of Comedy, Blood Simple, Near Dark, Do the Right Thing, Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer, After Hours, Spinal Tap, Friday the 13th, Full Metal Jacket, Scarface, The Hitcher, The Verdict, They Live, American Werewolf, Hannah and her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I'm sure there are many more.

Terminator and RoboCop!

• Like 2

You can't moan about house prices in the 80s :lol:

"But.. INFLATION!!! :(:( " **** your inflation, with your 0% deposits.

Try £90,000 for a 1965 built, ex-council house which had to be ripped apart, every room redecorated, not live in the bastard for 6 months first time houses.

At least your £30,000 houses are now worth at least £100,000.

Let the baby boomers die! (not really, my mama/papa are nearly babyboomers)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Off the top of my head:

Blade Runner, The Thing, Escape from New York, Die Hard, Aliens, Hardware, Platoon, Raging Bull, Blue Velvet, Shining, King of Comedy, Blood Simple, Near Dark, Do the Right Thing, Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer, After Hours, Spinal Tap, Friday the 13th, Full Metal Jacket, Scarface, The Hitcher, The Verdict, They Live, American Werewolf, Hannah and her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I know, but a lot of them arent mainstream, evil dead, purple rain, great great films, Also I stress its 80's nostalgia and the rose coloured specs that people view the decade in.

30 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Off the top of my head:

While I've nothing against that lot, none would rate among my favourites, except perhaps Blade Runner. 

To be fair, the double dream sequence in American Werewolf was by a country mile the most scary thing I'd ever seen. It was a proper state of the art movie at the time and one of very few I've got on DVD.

But to chime in with Mooney's point earlier about not having great film memory, I was going to add 'The French Connection' to the list as it's one of my absolute all time faves. Turns out on a quick google, it's 1971.

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

While I've nothing against that lot, none would rate among my favourites, except perhaps Blade Runner. 

That's fair enough, but the point I was trying to make was that it wasn't a bad decade for films.

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That's fair enough, but the point I was trying to make was that it wasn't a bad decade for films.

Oh, for sure. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People who talk about decades, as if the arbitrary drawing of lines between a year ending in a 9 and a year ending in a 0 is in any way reflective of anything at all. 

Which is why I normally say that my favourite decade for music was 1963-1972. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Which is why I normally say that my favourite decade for music was 1963-1972. 

If you had to pick a 0-9 decade would you go 60s or 70s?  I presume 60s based on the span above.

55 minutes ago, BOF said:

If you had to pick a 0-9 decade would you go 60s or 70s?  I presume 60s based on the span above.

Yep, 60s every time. The first few years (pre-Beatles) were a bit shit, and I have a soft spot for 71-72, but if I have to pick 0-9 that would be the one. 

Edited by mjmooney

Yep. If I narrowed my favourite musical era down still further, it would be 67-73. From the point where pop became rock (blues, psychedelia, early metal, prog) to the point where it had got stale and glam crap was taking over. In 67 I turned 13, in 73, 19. So yeah, teenage years exactly. Coincidence? Probably not. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â