Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

There does seem to be a weird double standard in comedy that says if a woman talks about sex or gender issues she's being too PC, but a male comic can fill a whole set with his sexual frustrations and no-one even bats an eyelid. Plus, it's worth considering that maybe the reason not very many women make it in stand-up is because the comedy industry is pretty hostile to women in general, and once they become mothers it's not feasible for them to be on tour six months out of every year.

• Like 1

Only two good female comedians I can think of that has made me smile (nothing more) (sorry me) and they are joan rivers and sarah silverman. At least they dare to be different. Joan rivers was fantastic actually.

Cant stand that geordie lass with the glasses who all the females seem to think is hilarious. 'Ooo my vagina' 'men are useless', same unfunny shit all women comedians seem to repeat.

My issue is with mainstream comedy, it's crap. Unfortunately for female comedy acts, 99% of them end up on the mainstream circuit/TV. Where are the edgy and different and talented ones?

For my part, I'm not saying they don't exist, it's a lack of exposure I guess.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

My issue is with mainstream comedy, it's crap. Unfortunately for female comedy acts, 99% of them end up on the mainstream circuit/TV. Where are the edgy and different and talented ones?

For my party, I'm not saying they don't exist, it's a lack of exposure I guess.

I think that's it really. Whilst I'm sure there are quality female comedians out there the ones who do get exposure are boring cookie cutter 'I HAVE A VAGINA' types.

Edited by Phumfeinz

For my part, I'm not saying they don't exist, it's a lack of exposure I guess.

Exactly this. As with pretty much all popular culture, the perceived lowering of quality is a result of sanitised and uncontroversial acts being groomed for the limelight, not a reflection on the actual scene or industry they originate from.

@ Donnie: That's Sarah Millican, I agree that she's terrible but you and me aren't exactly target audience are we? Joan Rivers is a poisonous hag whose face will long outlive her legacy.

• Like 1

Lee is very hit and miss but when he hits it is always amazingly clever and funny, which more than makes up for his weak points.

I'd take that over James Corden and Jack Whitehall talking bollocks and fooling the masses into believing they are funny.

• Like 1

Lee is very hit and miss but when he hits it is always amazingly clever and funny, which more than makes up for his weak points.

I'd take that over James Corden and Jack Whitehall talking bollocks and fooling the masses into believing they are funny.

Not so much fooling the masses, more gently reminding them they know f**** all about comedy ;)

• Like 1

Stewart Lee thinks he's a genius.

Fixed. He's good, but he's a pretentious bugger.  I'd love to go and see him though.

The arrogant, pretentiousness is just his 'act'. In 'real' life he is nothing like his on stage persona. The on stage Lee is like Partridge is to Coogan.

• Like 4

Â