The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

My daughter (mid-20s) loves science documentaries - so I lent her Cosmos, Life on Earth and The Ascent of Man.

She considered them (the Attenborough especially) to be head and shoulders better than the current crop.

I tried to watch 'Cosmose' but it seemed really dated and I couldn't get in to it. It didn't help that Sagan sounds like an American version of Trevor Francis.  :unsure:

It definitely is dated but it is just unimaginable that they could produce anything as good these days.

TV science documentaries are just too slow these days and for every bit of information offered, the viewer has to be given fifteen minutes of fancy graphics to flatter their latest TV purchase.

Horizon is completely unwatchable these days.

One of the paradoxes of the age is that we have a more educated population than at any other time in history but the media is pitched at a population of morons.

I thought (our Brians) wonders of the universe was better, simply more up to date.

Not wishing to write off Brian Cox too prematurely, I decided to take a look at him doing lectures.

Without doubt this is my preferred format and at least he has the good grace to take the piss out of the crass production values of his Wonders series.

So today the mundanity has been relieved by thoughts about the implications of Pauli's exclusion principle, calculating the age of the universe from Hubble's constant and diamonds 1.4 times the mass of our sun.

Which is nice!

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Cox's book 'The Quantum Universe' is very good (although, I'm not a physicist, so it could be rubbish, but for a 'pop' science book I thought it was rather illuminating).

Simplification is a good and necessary starting point.

Look up 'Pauli's exclusion principle' and it looks impenetrable but when Cox explains that no two identical electrons can occupy the same energy state it makes sense, as to why molecules can be stable.

But Cox's point is really to demonstrate the ability of quantum physics to predict theoretically what later is proven to be true, or what Feynman would call the greatest of certainty.

That is a decent starting point and the questions begin to multiply from then on.

Cox's book 'The Quantum Universe' is very good (although, I'm not a physicist, so it could be rubbish, but for a 'pop' science book I thought it was rather illuminating).

Agreed its difficult to understand a lot of the principles behind modern physics, but its harder still to translate to layman's terms.

Look up 'Pauli's exclusion principle' and it looks impenetrable but when Cox explains that no two identical electrons can occupy the same energy state it makes sense, as to why molecules can be stable.

But Cox's point is really to demonstrate the ability of quantum physics to predict theoretically what later is proven to be true, or what Feynman would call the greatest of certainty.

That is a decent starting point and the questions begin to multiply from then on.

I was interested to find out today that there has been some serious controversy about Cox's claims about electron energy-levels and Pauli's exclusion principle.

In his determination to keep it simple he had stated that if an electron's energy level is changed in a substance on earth all identical electrons in the universe would change accordingly.

This inspired every Pantheist to conclude that their beliefs are true and that instantaneous communication across the universe is possible.

It is definitely the assumption that I made.

So in his effort to simplify Cox led the audience astray.

And my plan to communicate with alien life-forms over light-years, has had to be scrapped.

Things can only get better, as someone once sang.

I've built a working time machine. 

I'll demonstrate it to you all at 3.00 pm yesterday.

if you could just remind us all not to bother with the west ham game it would be much appreciated!

Music does it pretty well, IMO. Unlike religion. 

For me there are those which are sad by association (Nat King Cole singing Stardust) and those which just wreck me from sheer truth and beauty (the opening to Sibelius's symphony number 2).

Truth and beauty seem like pretty ineffable things to be articulated by music. 

Edited by mjmooney

Music does it pretty well, IMO. Unlike religion. 

For me there are those which are sad by association (Nat King Cole singing Stardust) and those which just wreck me from sheer truth and beauty (the opening to Sibelius's symphony number 2).

Truth and beauty seem like pretty ineffable things to be articulated by music. 

I would say that although the Sceptics' school of philosophy would say that we can never grasp the truth, I think it is likely that we can get nearer to knowing truth on a human scale than understanding the scale and the forces active in the universe.

That is until they actually build the Total Perspective Vortex.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of black holes.  I watched Prof. Brian Cox's presentation on the 'science behind Doctor Who' the other night.  He explained how light slows down getting back to your point of view as something gets closer to a black hole and it eventually stops at the point of the event horizon. So you see a 'still image' of the thing at the exact point where the light could no longer escape.  But isn't the distance an event horizon is from a black hole ever changing as the black hole gets bigger or smaller?  Meaning the event horizon would in theory constantly swallow that still image?  So do you get a new still image of light that had previously escaped but which is now at that critical point or what?

Â