Christian Benteke

Kwan

It probably won't be lack of motivation that will hinder Benteke next season. It will probably be the element of surprise which is now gone and Premiership teams will have figured out a better way of playing him.

If he can overcome that, then we very well could have a 40m player on our hands?

It probably won't be lack of motivation that will hinder Benteke next season. It will probably be the element of surprise which is now gone and Premiership teams will have figured out a better way of playing him.

If he can overcome that, then we very well could have a 40m player on our hands?

Remember that he is only just developing so if continues to build on his form since january, then other teams have their work cut out....

Edited by MagicMushroom

I've never really bought into that. Managers and players see games they're not playing in. So maybe early in the season that's something that's accurate, but  come November/December they'll have seen enough of him to know how he plays and what they're up against. Despite teams having plenty of information about him by the time he hit 2013, that's when he actually really came into his own. He wasn't a mysterious newcomer at that stage, they'll have seen more than enough footage

I'm not sure you can stop him playing tbh .. his biggest enemy seemed to be himself when he went missing a few times   .. but that happens to all players so i'm not being critical of him in that regard

I think he can only get better as he gains in experience and maturity.

My main concern is that his use of his arms (and elbows) may get him into further trouble - he was lucky on a couple of occasions to not get booked or sent off.

Next season i expect defenders to try to wind he up more, to get a reaction, but hopefully the coaches will warn him of this.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Doubt it. Teams were aware of just how good he was in the second half of last season and yet they still couldn't deal with him.

An off season gives teams a lot of time to develop new strategies for stopping a player. When you can do so and possibly stop 50% of a team's goals, that work goes in even harder.

Any team that would buy him at this point would be one that has a massive sell-on preceding their offer to us (Spurs will only do it if they lose Bale, for example) and when you know your buyer is inundated with fresh cash, you raise your rate accordingly.

No lottery winner has ever gotten a great deal on a Ferrari.

How much do you want for him? Do you think Villa will sell or hold?

Clichy, Milner, Lescott and 10 million. Or instead of the 10 million, how about Dzeko/Guidette?  :P

No matter what happens I hope we play Guidetti or loan him to you next season if/when you sell Bent. The way he was treated by Mancini was shambolic.

Clichy, Milner, Lescott and 10 million. Or instead of the 10 million, how about Dzeko/Guidette?  :P

No matter what happens I hope we play Guidetti or loan him to you next season if/when you sell Bent. The way he was treated by Mancini was shambolic.

Couldn't you say that about several players?

An off season gives teams a lot of time to develop new strategies for stopping a player. When you can do so and possibly stop 50% of a team's goals, that work goes in even harder.

How many teams do you reckon will spend a portion of their preseason working on a plan to stop benteke in all honesty?

Doubt it. Teams were aware of just how good he was in the second half of last season and yet they still couldn't deal with him.

In fact, the only tactic teams came up with was to double team him, which left gaps for Gabby and Weimann to exploit.

I'm also imagining / hoping that we'll spend longer in the opposition half next season and create more chances from a wider range of positions. Another thing that will help Benteke is that we appear to be trying to fill the squad with players that can shoot / score from range, which means the chances of him being double teamed are less and his chances of a tap in from a defensive error increase.

I agree. He clearly has tons of potential but he never saw first team action last season nor was he loaned to another premier league club or championship club to get experience. 

Â