Christian Benteke

Kwan

Thanks CI. Your advice was taken.

I won’t sell Benteke for £25m – only for silly money

ASTON VILLA have told clubs circling Christian Benteke £25million ‘will not even get you to the negotiating table’

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4957008/Paul-Lambert-Aston-Villa-want-silly-money-for-Benteke-not-25m.html#ixzz2VQ8sxr00

Key players will leave unless your team is a champions league regular thats the state of play in football these days, but players leaving after one season is bullshit.  Benteke would have known when he arrived he would be expected to be here at least 2 seasons. The point is if at the end of every season your best player leave your team is buggared there will be no progression! If that one player every 2 season then you can say we can build.  We lost four players in three seasons and that left a top 6 team fighting relegation for 3 seasons after that.  Lets look at tottenham, they only lost Berbertov, Modric and Carrick in the last 6 or 7 years, Bale's been meant to be going for the last 2 seasons still there and I would bet against him still being there in september. You have to keep your top players for as long as possible!

We have the strike force at Villa capable of firing us into the champions league no doubt, but we need to galvanise the defence and add creativity to the midfield.  Two real quality players and our first team would be similar in ability to Tottenham, and better than Everton (imo).  If that is backed up by signing a couple of talented fullbacks and players such as Delph, Westwood and Sylla build on their good second half of the season we would get top 8 for sure, and stand a chance in the cups. Then if we lose Benteke for megabucks we have a nice base in place, right we don't have that base so losing Benteke is out of the question. Having a guy like him in the teams makes it easier for the rest as we know we have goals and pentetration.

one thing this doesn't take account of, the players have the power. If they want to move and you are blocking them moving then you will not attract them. Two years? Yes ideal fabulous. But you can't keep one who wants to move, and at the end of the day being a stepping stone club, players will always want to move

Con, as I posted, the club had to do this. Sets a benchmark for anyone interested. Bidding will start at £40m , there may be a Dutch auction pushing his sale up to £50m ish or ideally everyone will back off now for 12 months.

The defeatists saying they would take 30m are mostly the same that said 16m and ireland for milner was a great deal

Either you have a fantastic, almost supernatural, memory, or you are making that up.

(Much like The Mirror! ;) )

Thanks CI. Your advice was taken.

I won’t sell Benteke for £25m – only for silly money

ASTON VILLA have told clubs circling Christian Benteke £25million ‘will not even get you to the negotiating table’

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4957008/Paul-Lambert-Aston-Villa-want-silly-money-for-Benteke-not-25m.html#ixzz2VQ8sxr00

Unfortunatley they are still using the fake quotes from Benteke and saying he wants to leave, so you can only assume that they have made up the other quotes from a "source" close to the club.

I hope this is the case, but it's the sun and they haven't bothered to even use any genuine quotes

Edited by villan_007

Benteke going this close season is a bad deal for everyone - us, Benteke and the team who buys him. Buying any player after his one good season in the Premier League is the worst value you will get. You haven't seen his bad streak yet and how he recovers from it. Very inconvenient for us to replace him after one season. We can spend next season scouting for replacements for him if he stays. He'll cost more after 2 good seasons but he'll be a more solid investment for the Champions League team who gets him.

Damn it, this is what I hate about internet these days. Lazy journalism and they keep getting away with it. Look at the comments below and people are slagging off villa like we are holding this guy for ransom and what not. Not only that, but he has been here for 10 months. People need a **** reality check.  

• Like 2

For me 40m is about right... More than he is actually worth? possibly but he is under a long contract & we don't want to sell so that inflates the price. Then add in the new tv money.. that inflates it again making the fees paid over the last couple of summers for players obsolete. so we are in effect on new ground re: pricing. Evidence that this is already happening is clear with 55m & 80m fees being paid/touted about for the Falcao's & Bale's of this World.... So yeah... for me 40m for Benteke is about right at this point in time especially considering one of his main pursuers has just gotten 55m for their main Striker!!

What's that in GBP? £48-50m?

I'd love us to whack huge price tags on our players, see the suitors' interest fade and say "Oh well, our players stay then"

:D

The defeatists saying they would take 30m are mostly the same that said 16m and ireland for milner was a great deal

Either you have a fantastic, almost supernatural, memory, or you are making that up.

(Much like The Mirror! ;) )

I don't really need to remember specfically who, as that was the majority view and most of the people on here are still the same!

Finally a manager with balls I hope this guy stays at villa for many years to come he is a fantastic manager he's already proved that and he now is doing something that the last 2 managers couldn't do telling randy Lerner to **** off accepting offers for our star players. 40 million yes yes yes if an offer for him comes in at 40 million then sell sell sell but I can't see that this season. Lambert is a legend

Finally a manager with balls I hope this guy stays at villa for many years to come he is a fantastic manager he's already proved that and he now is doing something that the last 2 managers couldn't do telling randy Lerner to **** off accepting offers for our star players. 40 million yes yes yes if an offer for him comes in at 40 million then sell sell sell but I can't see that this season. Lambert is a legend

Exactly Jimmy

Interesting, thanks.

"I enjoyed playing up front with Lukaku," Benteke said after the victory in Cleveland. "I played a little deeper than him and I like that. I like touching the ball a lot, while he likes playing off the defenders' shoulders. He also made me more comfortable – when I am on my own up front all the attention is on me, but here it was also on him."

Perhaps this also says, at his next club he wouldn't mind not being the a target man.

Â