Christian Benteke

Kwan

Ireland deal MKII. Not this time folks!

I agree CI, its ridiculous and just shows the type of game football has become. The more pressure that the press keep piling on, the more I feel we will lose him. Its a shame and I really hope we give them all the middle finger by extending the contract.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Don't value Defoe any more than Bent, i'd say he's worth about 8 million. So i'd say they would have to offer 25 million + Defoe which still does not sound that appealing. 

I wouldn't accept Defoe at any price. Wages £70k a week on 4 year contract, that's £14,56m. He is 30 years old and has injury problems.  It's a Levy special.

We give them Benteke, they give us Defoe free and pay for his contract for 4 years, after which they sell Benteke for £60m and we have nothing.

They must think Villa is run by idiots.

I wouldn't either but we took Stephen Ireland in the Milner dear so we have history in getting the mick taken out of us by other clubs. Saying that can't see PL agreeing to take an ageing striker on big money like you said. 

What a crock of stuff. Guesswork after guesses. I'm conflicted about dignifying the article with a comment but doesn't it seem odd how they quote an irrelevant value for Defoe but fail to bother guessing what the 'plus cash' amount is?

In clive Tyldsley voice please

"cross comes in, Vlaar is there again to head away, chested down, ohh lovely control Westwood, Bannan now, just slows it down a little, ohh that's a lovely ball, Weimann can he beat the full back, he can, pulls it back, oh hello , defoooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeee !! 3-0 , no way back now for Moyes team"

Edited by CI

At the end of his contract in 3 years time, Defoe is worth £Zero million. Levy wants a £15m outlay to land a player who will be worth £60 milllion within a couple of years - if not next year - and he's trying to pass off a has-been who will soon be worth nothing to him as an extremely valuable asset as part of the trade.

It's the kind of deal in monopoly you'd try to sell to your younger sister. You've got Mayfair, I've already got Park Lane; so I'll give you £700, Old Kent Road and a couple of Stations for Mayfair. it's so crap, you've got to be really gullible to take it.

after the Ireland experience don't think we will, but it's worrying there are people in football who are still trying it on because they think it will work.

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

What a crock of stuff. Guesswork after guesses. I'm conflicted about dignifying the article with a comment but doesn't it seem odd how they quote an irrelevant value for Defoe but fail to bother guessing what the 'plus cash' amount is?

Written by  @mirrordarren, considering asking him if he was sober when he wrote that article. 

• Like 1

Forgetting about why we want to keep Benteke for a moment, the offer itself wont be considered because:

- Defoe is bad suit for the sole striker role in our current system.

- Defoe does not have the mindset of a player Lambert looks for.

- Defoe's ability is goign to be declining rather than rising so there is no resale value.

- Defoe's wages would be too high for our new structure.

- Faulkner and Lerner were burnt hard in their last player + cash deal (Ireland).

Not worth worrying about.

• Like 2

I very much doubt that Defoe would want to join us in any case and Spurs would need to pay the difference between the wage they are paying him and what we would be prepared to give a 30 year old striker (who would have been a great signing for us 5 years ago but would be less so now) to make him even consider being a make weight in any such deal. But I guess they would deduct that from any balance they offered us. I myself would not look at anything less than £30m cash and would only consider that if the player was determined to go and I guess the club might also not want to agree any deal whilst season tickets are still in the process of being bought...

• Like 1

At the end of his contract in 3 years time, Defoe is worth £Zero million. Levy wants a £15m outlay to land a player who will be worth £60 milllion within a couple of years - if not next year - and he's trying to pass off a has-been who will soon be worth nothing to him as an extremely valuable asset as part of the trade.

It's the kind of deal in monopoly you'd try to sell to your younger sister. You've got Mayfair, I've already got Park Lane; so I'll give you £700, Old Kent Road and a couple of Stations for Mayfair. it's so crap, you've got to be really gullible to take it.

after the Ireland experience don't think we will, but it's worrying there are people in football who are still trying it on because they think it will work.

this post threw me off because I always assumed that foreign printings of classic Monopoly went with the Atlantic City-themed board. Never knew you Brits replaced that with your own London-themed naming. Chalk it up to another ignorant American misconception.

this post threw me off because I always assumed that foreign printings of classic Monopoly went with the Atlantic City-themed board. Never knew you Brits replaced that with your own London-themed naming. Chalk it up to another ignorant American misconception.

At least here there are all sorts of Monopoly theme games. Harry Potter, Star Wars, local state/county, personalised Monopolies... central point is, we're not trading our most valuable asset to Levy so he can get a set. not unless we virtually bankrupt him in the process anyway.

At the end of the day, If Benteke really wants to go to Spurs, he will go and a price will be agreed - same for any other club he is being linked with. All this rumour and speculation is just wasted energy.

If Benteke goes to Spurs there is no way we will be taking Defoe and his 70k/week wages as part of the deal. We are moving away from these shit overpriced deals. He would have no resale value and would cost us 10m in wages. Get **** Levy.

I don't get all this that the media are unsettling a player? He has had ample opportunity to say he wants to stay - he hasnt tho. The best we have got is he doesnt mind staying. The bloke even said he wants to play for Arsenal just after he signed.

Absolutely no problem with him going to Madrid for 25m. Get the deal done before a prem team comes in leaving him to rip us apart.

25m is a fair price. Lets get it over with and move on. I cant take 3 months of this. He clearly wants to go.

The problem is having 25 mill to spend is all well and good but other clubs will know that and adjust whatever replacement players you have lined up fees accordingly

I'd rather be in our position and have a quality player than 30 mill in my back pocket having to find one

There will be very little value for money unless we find one for a couple of mill from outer mongolia

Â