Christian Benteke

Kwan

If we start to go somewhere,  do you think we will retain the manager?  Or the players he recruits to help us?  No chance

The point is we're big enough to sustain whatever position we find ourselves in. We're not like a Wigan or a Charlton that has to fall away from a high point if they lose a manager. We have the infrastructure and fanbase to stay wherever we get to. Not many clubs can say that. We have potential.

A lack of serious money means that our high probably won't be very high. But over the next few years there's no reason we can't overtake Everton for starters. Similarly sized clubs and us with better finances. We're a bigger club than Spurs too and they're going through a purple patch, but they're the kind of level we could get to with a sustained and consistent run at it. They were (and still are) knocking on the door for a few years and have benefitted from that. Their stock has rarely if ever been higher than it is now. If you ask most neutrals they'd say Spurs are bigger than Villa, but they aren't. Their turnover currently is but they've been in our shadow for decades and it's what we should be aiming at.

You do speaka de Engrish? YOU said "I think every neutral fan and most of the media would disagree" with my assertion that we're not a nothing club. I suggested they shouldn't influence you and you said I made an assumption on that. Your inability to follow a basic line of discussion without forgetting what you said 1 post earlier is precisely why it's pointless talking to you or going into why I think one way or the other on any given topic. See ya now.

I think if I posted something like this I'd be given a warning post.

Mentioning neutral fans and the media was to show plenty of others outside of villa fans think the same.

Not once did I say they were the reason I've reached my conclusion.

So maybe you should take some of your own advice.

Oh quit the pulling rank stuff. I just called you on jumping from one thing to another. Accusing me of making an assumption made no sense given what you said the page earlier. We're done though so I won't call you out on anything else.

If Bentekke says what has been reported, then i dont hold out much hope. 

It could be all Agent talk and spin though, as thats what they get paid for.  i.e To get him the highest deal possible.

If you give Bent the right service then he could score 19 league goals next season.  Where Benteke was so brilliant is that he often didn't rely on service to score so many goals, that is what makes him so valuable and we should expect a massive price if there is a bidding war.  If we got £30m for him we could get say Sinclair and Downing on the cheap to play alongside Bent plus have another £15m to spend, plus whatever war chest Lerner would have given on top.  I know Lambert might not want to go that way with those kinds of players but either way selling Benteke would not be the end of the world.  Sad if he did go, but at the moment we are a club that is building and part of that is picking up players cheaply, improving them and then reinvesting the profit.  If we can get him to sign a new contract that would terrific but the club will live on if we did sell him.

Let's face it - being a footballer is a short career, so you have to try to make every season count. If i were a top player and was at, say, Newcastle, and a much bigger club who could offer the chance of CL football and/or silverware came along then I'd be off like a flash. **** loyalty.

Yeah, we took a chance on him, but I imagine if we hadn't then someone else would have. The kid is destined for the top so he wouldn't have stayed under the radar for that long.

But over the next few years there's no reason we can't overtake Everton for starters. 

Next season I think. New manager, no money to give them to get their own squad, likely to lose atleast Fellaini, possibly Baines, unlikely to reinvest all the money they get for those players.. if we keep Benteke I think we will finish above Everton

If he does leave this summer, his 23 goal per season average will be the 3rd highest in Villa history behind Harold James (scoring seasons 1912/13) on 28 per season and Gerry Hitchens (1957/61) on 24 per season.

1) That italian Journalist also said we were signing Coutinho in January so he doesn't know everything because there's not a chance we were in for him!

2) IF he does go, we would want atleast 30m for him, players like Oscar from the BRAZILIAN league cost £27 without being proven. 

3) There are ready made alternatives like Wilfred Bony, i don't know how good this guy actually is but his goal scoring record is something like 32 in 31 this season. Also i know we were 100% in for him last summer and it was only through the break down of his move, that we signed Benteke. 

4) Call me bitter, but if he leaves i hope he becomes the greatest one season wonder we have ever had and completely flops .... lol

MUST GET > £30m

• Like 1

I'd say it'll be >£25m. I know we can argue for £30m but that figure seems to be a watershed that's very hard to reach. It's like a psychological barrier for the buying club.

He's too good for Aston Villa at the moment. Even with the rosiest fantasies for next season we'd be finishing mid-table and he'd be off next summer. That's the natural way things go. What's important is that Villa manage to squeeze every penny out of the buyer and re-invest the money smartly.

That said, grass is not always greener. Yea, no doubt he looks a beast now but a lot of players have had great seasons only to flop the next. Last summer Newcastle kept Cabaye and Tiote after a great season when they were supposedly valued at 20m+ each and now,one poor season later, this doesn't seem like such a home run for Newcastle. They might have been better off taking the big money last summer.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 1

Whilst i agree, we don't WANT to sell. So why would we accept £25m which is clearly below his market value, i can't see us being pressured to sell in this situation if we don't want to. Also in terms of potential suitors, i can't see spurs paying what we want and Chelsea have Lukaku, whilst Arsenal are singing Jovetic.

I see Atlectico if Falcoa leaves, although they aren't exactly cash rich themselves and have massively over achieved this season (only spend €1m last summer and had loan players come back and do better than expected). If he goes to Athletico fair enough, he will probably get 3rd every year and first few rounds of the champions league. But i can't see Athletico keeping their best players either. Dortmund are the only club who can be a major attraction at this time really, and who knows Lewandowski might even stay yet!! (plus their record signing is €17m so why people think they were nailed on to sign Benteke i have no idea.

We have to have hope that one day Villa can be a top 4 club without it what is the point of it all?

Is that an ironic statement ?  For me it just highlights the issues with modern football.

You are Arsene Wenger and I claim my £5

We have to have hope that one day Villa can be a top 4 club without it what is the point of it all?

Is that an ironic statement ?  For me it just highlights the issues with modern football.

You are Arsene Wenger and I claim my £5

:D I'd point out that #1 is in the top 4 too !

Our media team say his comments have been misconstrued apparently.

Yes I cant believe he would have said something like that! Totally lost in translation.

I dno, when he signed he basically said we were a stepping stone. Also before we played Arsenal he said 'I am not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying that i love Arsenal', these are just things that intelligent players do not say regardless of how they feel. 

Â