Christian Benteke

Kwan

looks like lukaku has himself a new agent and is making noise about playing in europe too, could be good for us, if he plays up and becomes available hopefully others will look at him instead, or at the very least evertons no doubt ridiculous valuation of him will actually make our £32m look half sensible so we can hold out for a figure i doubt anyone would pay

looks like lukaku has himself a new agent and is making noise about playing in europe too, could be good for us, if he plays up and becomes available hopefully others will look at him instead, or at the very least evertons no doubt ridiculous valuation of him will actually make our £32m look half sensible so we can hold out for a figure i doubt anyone would pay

Does everyone think that Christian Benteke represents good value for £32.5m?

As in, if Benteke played for Sunderland and we were offering £32.5m for him, would we be pleased as fans?

It's Zlatan's agent isn't it?

As in, if Benteke played for Sunderland and we were offering £32.5m for him, would we be pleased as fans?

£32.5m in one chunk? It's questionable for me.

• Like 1

100% yes I do. In a good team he'll get you 20-25 goals a season guaranteed, and at 24 you could even still feasibly make a profit selling him on in 2-3 years time.

• Like 1

I would suggest that when the club meet with his agent he is told that there is a new offer on the table from the club. That we will not sell for 1 penny less than the release clause figure in his current contract and that if he is leaving we want the deal done before pre-season starts so we can find his replacement. If he wants his client to leave then he needs to work on that basis or he can wait till January where the release clause will still stand

The agent can work on any basis he wants. We as the selling club have absolutely no authority whatsoever to set date limits on when we will sell him unless the release clause has an expiry date caveat attached.

100% yes I do. In a good team he'll get you 20-25 goals a season guaranteed, and at 24 you could even still feasibly make a profit selling him on in 2-3 years time.

But that's not what I'm asking ;)

As an Aston Villa fan, in our current state, would a £32.5m Benteke from Sunderland be considered "good value"?

I'm only wondering because pretty much everyone seems to want to cling on to keeping Benteke (and rightly so from a playing point of view) but £32.5m is a huge wedge - especially to us.

(Obviously this opens up a wider issue of how much we'd actually have to spend from this etc, but still...)

• Like 1

As an Aston Villa fan, in our current state, would a £32.5m Benteke from Sunderland be considered "good value"?

I'm only wondering because pretty much everyone seems to want to cling on to keeping Benteke (and rightly so from a playing point of view) but £32.5m is a huge wedge - especially to us.

(Obviously this opens up a wider issue of how much we'd actually have to spend from this etc, but still...)

I think the big issue would be do we have £32.5m to spend. Liverpool, Man United and Spurs would have bigger warchests than us so that does bring a new dimension to the whole question, as you've alluded to.

If he had the three Premier League seasons for Sunderland that he had for us, and we could do the deal, I'd do it still. For me there are very few better all-round Premier League strikers, and even fewer that we could realistically attract.

Edited by rjenkins
  • Like 1

No because we can't afford to gamble that amount of money. However, the likely teams in the race to sign him will be in a better position to spend. Even Liverpool.

No because we can't afford to gamble that amount of money. However, the likely teams in the race to sign him will be in a better position to spend. Even Liverpool.

Irrelevant.  Let me break it down more...

What is worth more to Aston Villa right now - £32.5m or having Christian Benteke?

• Like 1

i think representing value and going rate are 2 different things, for chelsea to spend £32m on a reserve striker seems ridiculous to me, but man city just have, think the bony and lukaku deals means that £32m is about right for him, if lukaku puts in a transfer request and everton put a £35-40m price tag on him then even more so

us paying £32m for a player right now would never look right because we need that money spread across the squad, the types of clubs vying to buy him dont have that problem

arsenal would be his best fit IMO, think he'd push them on, better than giroud and they are crying out for depth up front, the only problem then is it is going to be cheaper to buy from abroad, i doubt lacazette would cost that much, based on their needs and the investment over the last couple of years arsenal buying him for £32m wouldnt be that out of place

and £32m or benteke? cant tell until we spend the money, losing ashley young, milner and downing wasnt necessarily the problem, replacing them with utter garbage and not spending all of the money was the problem, same can be said for spurs and liverpool in the last 2 years though

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

i think representing value and going rate are 2 different things, for chelsea to spend £32m on a reserve striker seems ridiculous to me, but man city just have, think the bony and lukaku deals means that £32m is about right for him, if lukaku puts in a transfer request and everton put a £35-40m price tag on him then even more so

us paying £32m for a player right now would never look right because we need that money spread across the squad, the types of clubs vying to buy him dont have that problem

arsenal would be his best fit IMO, think he'd push them on, better than giroud and they are crying out for depth up front, the only problem then is it is going to be cheaper to buy from abroad, i doubt lacazette would cost that much, based on their needs and the investment over the last couple of years arsenal buying him for £32m wouldnt be that out of place

and £32m or benteke? cant tell until we spend the money, losing ashley young, milner and downing wasnt necessarily the problem, replacing them with utter garbage and not spending all of the money was the problem, same can be said for spurs and liverpool in the last 2 years though

Completely agree with the last point, how badly have Liverpool missed Saurez and Spurs Bale. Some players are irreplaceable no matter how much the fee is and Benteke is that player for us.

Completely agree with the last point, how badly have Liverpool missed Saurez and Spurs Bale. Some players are irreplaceable no matter how much the fee is and Benteke is that player for us.

I don't think Benteke is irreplaceable.  He's absolutely not in the same category as Suarez and Bale.

Obviously the point stands to an extent - I don't think we'd currently be able to get a better striker than Benteke - but I think £32.5m spent on the team would provide us with more than having Benteke instead.

We need to hope we do more of a Swansea/Southampton than a Liverpool/Spurs.

Liverpool and Spurs making a pig's ear of reinvesting their money doesn't mean those players were therefore irreplaceable.

I have thought about it long enough, and I finally think that if we do get the £32.5m, then it's really good business. Yes he is a quality player that can change matches, but he does have a knack of going missing for parts of the season. This, obviously, is only if we can bring in some quality additions to the squad - which I am not hopeful of.

Lukaku's and Bony's transfers show that throwing 30mil at Benteke might not be the homerun most of Villa fans would think it'd be. Every team's fans overrate their own players. It's not at all outrageous to think 30 mil can get you more value if you look somewhere on the continent instead of Benteke if you're a neutral fan. 

The Lukaku and Bony transfers, the latter in particular, set the precedent as to why we have every right to expect ~£30m for Benteke though. Whether or not it is perceived to be good value, that's what the current market dictates.

• Like 1

Like the 24m deal for Bent you mean which at the time we were all creaming ourselves over?

• Like 1

I don't think £30m for Benteke would be considered a 'homerun' by Villa fans, because even double that money could be spent on standing still.

However, I think we really need some money spread around the team, and if selling our best player is how we do that, then I think we're right to make that sacrifice.

We've started to become a bit of a 'one man team', whereby if Benteke doesn't play well, we don't play well.

Even if that money is spread round 3 or 4 players, we could still start to look like a more rounded team, not relying on one man.

• Like 3

Â