Christian Benteke

Kwan

No, by accepting a payrise and playing at the club that gave him his chance for at least another year. A bit of loyalty to the guy thats put faith in him. Thats what i was getting at.

It's his job, that stuff isn't a factor these days. Like I said elsewhere, I'd gladly shoot off to another job if it a) was more prestigious, B) would potentially get me noticed by more people, and c) pay me more than I would be capped at here. In that order. Loyalty doesn't come into it for regular Joe's jobs, why this assumption it does for footballers?

Not when you've been plucked from the Belgian league to play in England as a young bloke. Thats like a polish refugee given a job and a home in england, proving he's a good worker then has the front to say bollocks to your payrise and contract, bollocks to your hospitatilty i can get more working over there so i want out (even though you're paying me more than enough, i can stomach one more year with you..)

But I guess thats how a lot of people are thesedays. He can get his move, its just after one season it really gets me how he's just used our club.

i didn't hear you complain when the club used Benteke to stay up didn't i?

Come on BG, Benteke played a large part in our escape from relegation, but then again so did the rest of the team..... This may surprise you but he is employed by Aston Villa to play football to the best of his ability, and that is what he did, nothing more.

This is Aston Villa FC not Christian Benteke FC.

only thing i want to say it that he not just used aston villa like bleedcaretandblue said villa paid him and he did his job he didn't abuse anything.

There is no 'using' going on. We helped Benteke by signing him from relative obscurity when nobody else was prepared to do so. He then helped us by playing out of his skin over the course of the season, keeping us in the division as a result.

If he stays with us, I suspect he will continue to do play extremely well. If he moves on, our reward will be an enormous financial profit and his will be an increase in wages and a chance to play for a side higher up in the division. This is football. The whole thing has worked out exceptionally well for both parties - it's just a shame that Benteke (or his agent) are trying to bring it to a rather sour conclusion.  

• Like 1

No, by accepting a payrise and playing at the club that gave him his chance for at least another year. A bit of loyalty to the guy thats put faith in him. Thats what i was getting at.

It's his job, that stuff isn't a factor these days. Like I said elsewhere, I'd gladly shoot off to another job if it a) was more prestigious, B) would potentially get me noticed by more people, and c) pay me more than I would be capped at here. In that order. Loyalty doesn't come into it for regular Joe's jobs, why this assumption it does for footballers?

Not when you've been plucked from the Belgian league to play in England as a young bloke. Thats like a polish refugee given a job and a home in england, proving he's a good worker then has the front to say bollocks to your payrise and contract, bollocks to your hospitatilty i can get more working over there so i want out (even though you're paying me more than enough, i can stomach one more year with you..)

But I guess thats how a lot of people are thesedays. He can get his move, its just after one season it really gets me how he's just used our club.

i didn't hear you complain when the club used Benteke to stay up didn't i?

Used? WTF?? He was being paid to do a job.

And didn't he did his job or what?

Yes, but he wasn't 'used'

And he didn't used aston villa then.

He is 'using' AVFC by engineering a move after 1 season.

• Like 1

I think the agent is 'using' everyone in this.  I just don't understand the logic of Benteke blowing his load so early to put in a transfer request when there is only one interested party who are reluctant to stump up the cash, burning his bridges with the Villa and the fans when there's only a 50% chance of him getting a move.  Why didn't they agree to a double of his wage with a release clause written in for after the World Cup?  Why didn't they wait for a bid to come in first (give Spurs or anyone else a nudge and a wink behind the scenes) and indicate that he would like to speak to the bidders, then put in a transfer request if he has to?  His agent is either looking for as quick a buck as possible or is utterly brainless.

I think this thread (and Benteke) needs some Greek philosophy. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."

- Epicurus

Great idea praisedmambo. :)

The greatest wealth is to live content with little.

Quote, saying and phrase by: Plato

I think this thread (and Benteke) needs some Greek philosophy. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."

- Epicurus

Great idea praisedmambo. :)

The greatest wealth is to live content with little.

Quote, saying and phrase by: Plato

It might be worth the club hiring a Classics lecturer in order to prevent Benteke situations with future players. The players can have half an hour of philosophy after training each day and be taught to be more humble and grateful for their millions. 

Presumably people were less fussed when Benteke used Genk? Presumably they picked him out of lesser obscurity themselves, and paid his wages? Should footballers all stay at their very first club? Come on.

I'm not, in fact I couldn't give a flying f**k about CB. But I seem to remember that AVFC paid 'what' Genk wanted.

• Like 1

Presumably people were less fussed when Benteke used Genk? Presumably they picked him out of lesser obscurity themselves, and paid his wages? Should footballers all stay at their very first club? Come on.

I'm not, in fact I couldn't give a flying f**k about CB. But I seem to remember that AVFC paid 'what' Genk wanted.

I'm not fully sure we did actually...

Yes, we gave him a chance and he should be grateful. However, if we passed on him back then, someone else would have come in easily. Either back then or in January, or now. He was already in the Belgium-team and was probably scouted by numerous teams. We gave him a shot and he played wonderfully, and now Aston Villa is too small for him. It's football in 2013 and that's how things are. We make a shitload of money off of it and it benefits our P&L. Under Lerner and Lambert right now, we are a club that try to find gems and then sell them on for a profit. This to survive in a jungle filled with bigger and better teams, richer teams and clubs located in a much more exciting city like London. It's shitty, but we all know how it is to be a Villa-fan. We don't actually compete for the Champions League-trophy, finishing 6th is our "trophy" so to speak.

The important thing now is re-investment. We have the TV-money and potentially the Benteke-money. That equals a lot of spending, and there sure is a lot more better players out there compared to the ones we have in our team that barely survived last season. If we want to compete, then we spend that money and get some skilled players in. If we put it in the bank and go for a few more cheap talents then we will not compete. Easy as that really, when you sell your best player you try to get someone equal or better. If Suarez is gone and Liverpool only spend it on Aspas, well then they are going to do much worse next season. If Man U sell Rooney and stick with Hernandez and Welbeck, they are also going to do worse than last season. Of course, we need no reminder of this after selling Barry, Downing, Young and Milner without every really replacing them.

• Like 3

If he wants a move then the right thing to do was hand in a transfer request. It sticks in my throat after one good season but fair enough that's his right. 

For me he only becomes a see you next Tuesday if he refuses to turn up for training.

So, any word on if he's expected to turn up?

• Like 1

You know what, if he doesn't want to play for us, **** him. He's stupid if he doesn't turn up for training and he's **** stupid if he signs for Spurs. 

Wait a year at Villa and it could be Real Madrid or Man United...

He's got someone ill advising him I suspect. 

Â