Christian Benteke

Kwan

Eh? Who said they wasn't good enough?

Spurs, if they are willing to give them to us as part of a deal.

Any deal for a player will be a bad one for us, it means there's something wrong with them. Learn from the Ireland fiasco.

Ireland was one isolated incident. A player with a reputation of being a tool, with pink rimmed Range Rovers and a **** up haircut. There is nothing to learn from the Ireland-transfer, other than doing your due diligence when buying any player. Every manager make bad transfers, from Mourinho to Ferguson and Lambert. You said a few posts up that "if you are not good enough for Tottenham, you are not good enough for Aston Villa". That makes no sense at all, most of their players are too good for us and most of their reserves probably are good enough for our squad as well. Some of the players in their midfield who don't play much, would be absolute stars in our team.

499. MOB

32 Minutes ago

Is this the rose-tinted MotD Benteke who scores with every shot and is never offside, or the real one who miscontrols 80% of balls played to him before blazing 90% of what he does control into row Z? Another over-hyped, massively over-payed egotist believing his own positive press.

dont know where these people are getting their opinions from

It's all part of the London Media conspiracy theory to get CB to Spurs, Chelski or Goonshow for peanuts. Drive down the player's value by pretending that his efforts and achievements last season never actually happened.

The USA do the same with history through their Hollywood films.

• Like 2

Eh? Who said they wasn't good enough?

Spurs, if they are willing to give them to us as part of a deal.

Any deal for a player will be a bad one for us, it means there's something wrong with them. Learn from the Ireland fiasco.

And Jenas... and Hutton...

• Like 1

If it is Chelsea that want him, this would be my terms if I was Lambert, Faulkner and Lerner:

£20m plus Lukaku on loan for the whole of next season, with Chelsea paying at least 50% of his salary and a clause that says we can sign him at the end of the season for a max of £10m if we want to.

Completely agree. I think this is the only way I would be happy to see CB leave. Is CB that much better than RL though? I would say we would be getting the better deal here?

He plays more like Drogba did than Lukaku does, which could be something Jose wants. Chelsea would never sell Lukaku for £10m or similar though, they spent nearly £30m buying him a few years ago. Another reason why I believe Chelsea would have no problem slapping £30m on the table for Benteke if they wanted him.

Found this online about Lukaku's deal with Chelsea:

"In August 2011 Lukaku joined Chelsea on a 5 year contract for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) in add-ons". And also found this: "However, Lukaku stressed that he was disappointed with his involvement at the end of his debut season, revealing that, after his side's Champions League victory on 19th of May, he refused to hold the trophy as he didn't feel like a winner".

If he played all next season on loan at Villa he would only have around 2 years left on a contract at a club where he's only made 8 starts. I don't think it would be unreasonable of Villa to offer £10m for a player that has 2 years left on his contract and only played 8 times for his host club and having only being signed for a fee of around £10m. I cannot see how add-ons would have been paid as he probably hasn't played enough games to have enforced the necessary clauses.

I agree that Villa would seemingly get the better deal but do Chelsea and Mourinho see it that way? Did they see that Liverpool were getting a massive deal when they paid £50m for Torres?

Two things come to mind:

1) Chelsea rate him highly and Mourinho has said he will get matches for Chelsea this season, they payed big money for him as a teenager and he has lived up to that hype as he scored almost as meny as Benteke last season dispite being 3 years younger.

2) Lukaku told Benteke he needs to get out of Asotn Villa and play for a big club like Chelsea. Lukaku is hardly going to come to us if he thinks like that...

The only deals I would take from Spurs are:

1) Our asking price, in cash, Straight up.

2) A figure nominally lower than our asking price in cash + one or two of their prospects*

Not Caulker or Townsend and the like who are already pushing for their first team and well known. More along the lines of Alex Pritchard, Souleymane Coulibaly (although he hasn't really impressed since joining Spurs), Milos Veljkovic and Tom Carroll are players that would fit in with our philosophy. although, bar Coulibaly I doubt Spurs would be willing to let any of them go... and in fairness we have the like of Graham and Grealish to bring through yet.

Ireland was one isolated incident. A player with a reputation of being a tool, with pink rimmed Range Rovers and a **** up haircut. There is nothing to learn from the Ireland-transfer, other than doing your due diligence when buying any player. Every manager make bad transfers, from Mourinho to Ferguson and Lambert. You said a few posts up that "if you are not good enough for Tottenham, you are not good enough for Aston Villa". That makes no sense at all, most of their players are too good for us and most of their reserves probably are good enough for our squad as well. Some of the players in their midfield who don't play much, would be absolute stars in our team.

Nonsense.

Ignore the reputation and the "star dust" that playing for Spurs sprinkles over them. Villa are aiming for the league position higher than Spurs. If they don't want a player, we don't want him.

When I use the phrase "star dust" I actually mean "raw sewage."

Does this not reveal the crucial flaw in this "young & hungry" plan?

So we sign players with resale value if they do well and make a profit from them (eg Benteke). So at what point do we keep enough of these players to actually form a team capable of competing for a top 4 place? If we keep being forced to sell players after one or two good seasons, we will find ourselves being back to square one constantly and never form a top team.

I want to be wrong about this, but i don't think i am!

If Lambert can keep re-investing the money into better players, then we will improve and move up the league.

When we start finishing Top 10, or battling for a Europa League place, then players will see reasons to stay.

Selling Benteke for £20m, could bring in 2 or 3 players of the quality of Matt Lowton (for example).

That is based on the assumption he gets all the money to spend. Which I think is a sizable if.

Not really. Lambert could probably find 2 or 3 players of decent ability and potential for £2-4m each.

If we offload Bent OR Given OR Ireland and sell Benteke for £20m (at the least), then Lerner could give Lambert £10m of the Benteke money to buy those players, then use Benteke's wages and part of Bent's OR Given's OR Ireland's wages to fund the newbees.

I personally think Lambert will be given around 75% of the transfer money that he gets from Benteke. I'm just guesstimating.

Either way, I see us coming out of this fairly well. I hope Lambert has the scouts working overtime!

Nonsense.

Ignore the reputation and the "star dust" that playing for Spurs sprinkles over them. Villa are aiming for the league position higher than Spurs. If they don't want a player, we don't want him.

When I use the phrase "star dust" I actually mean "raw sewage."

You are aware that we have been in the bottom 5 the last few season whilst Spurs have been in the top 5 arn't you?

There are a number of their players who would be in the fringe of their squad who would walk into ours.

Edited by LondonLax

Well, what a word removed.

What is the point of football now. You can't build anything. If a player has one good season he clears off at the first opportunity. I hope he fails wherever he goes.

He'd be making a mistake if he went to Spurs IMO. That's not to say that they're not a step up from us at this moment in time, but it means that it will be difficult for him to move on from there to one of the genuine established superpowers given the amounts of money involved if he's a success there.

We could learn a lot from Spurs here by just digging our heels in and refusing to let him leave, a la Modric when they got another excellent season out of him but it looks like once again we're allowing ourselves to be bent over.

How do you draw that conclusion? When have we allowed ourselves to be bent over before and how are we allowing ourselves to be bent over now?

I'll admit, I am being speculative but from what I heard on 5Live this morning, we'd be willing to accept £25m which, given prices other players in the Prem have gone for, seems extremely generous on our part. But yes, that is just speculation, so may not even be true. I'll be very disappointed if it is. Should be looking £30m+ given how good he is going to be. I think he'll be worth at least double that in a couple of years, he's that good. If he's the best striker in the world by then I wouldn't be too surprised.

Perhaps 'bent over' was a poor choice of expression. What I meant was that we don't seem to put up much of a fight to keep players. They make noises about wanting to leave and we don't seem to put up much of a fight to keep them e.g. Spurs and Modric.

Does this not reveal the crucial flaw in this "young & hungry" plan?

So we sign players with resale value if they do well and make a profit from them (eg Benteke). So at what point do we keep enough of these players to actually form a team capable of competing for a top 4 place? If we keep being forced to sell players after one or two good seasons, we will find ourselves being back to square one constantly and never form a top team.

I want to be wrong about this, but i don't think i am!

If Lambert can keep re-investing the money into better players, then we will improve and move up the league.

When we start finishing Top 10, or battling for a Europa League place, then players will see reasons to stay.

Selling Benteke for £20m, could bring in 2 or 3 players of the quality of Matt Lowton (for example).

We could buy over 20 Matt Lowton's for £20m!

That's why I said 'of the quality' of Matt Lowton ;)

Lambert should be arrested for stealing Lowton for the price we got him for!

Bit disappointed that he hasn't shown a bit of loyalty and stayed on for one more season. Not entirely surprised though, football is all about money, plain and simple.

Can't blame him either, who else wouldn't be tempted by potentially £100k a week. Still think it will be a big risk for however decides to sign him. He had a great first season in the Premier League for us, but as PL said he had no injuries or suspensions (until the last game).

Just hope Villa stick to their guns and get silly money for him

We can then invest that money into the football club

This is a long building process where I guess there is unfortunately an inevitability that players will be sold along the way.

If the club benefits from that, helping to balance the books so we're not making a loss each year that makes the club stronger for the long term. As a supporter you don't want to hear that i know but it's a business at the end of the day.

The way we competed before paying big transfers and huge wages was not sustainable.

Anyway that's imo, it helps me to justify selling our best player and softening the blow!

In Lambert we trust

UTV!

You are aware that we have been in the bottom 5 the last few season whilst Spurs have been in the top 5 arn't you?

There are a number of their players who would be in the fringe of their squad who would walk into ours.

Any player from Spurs is on the way down, we are looking for players on the way up.

As I said, the only way a player swap deal could work for us is if we had complete freedom to choose any player we want.

That won't happen. Spurs will just offer us their standard hamper basket which is full of shit.

• Like 2

Any player from Spurs is on the way down, we are looking for players on the way up.

As I said, the only way a player swap deal could work for us is if we had complete freedom to choose any player we want.

That won't happen. Spurs will just offer us their standard hamper basket which is full of shit.

You can't possibly believe that? :lol:

They have quite a few young prospects on the way up.  

They might be willing to let one go if they want Benteke bad enough.

Â