Christian Benteke

Kwan

Don't understand why Chelsea would buy him. They have Lukaku, a similar and younger player, in their squad already. Makes absolutely no sense to buy Benteke, it's not like he is as good as Suarez or Cavani. Not even close.

Edited by Papillon

It's a pretty big turnaround from earlier in the summer when he was reportedly quite happy. Wasn't there a tweet confirming this or was that just a spoof. 

To me it smacks of him getting tapped up. It could easily be through one of his international colleagues but given Arsenal have Vermaelen, Chelsea have Lukaku, Spurs have Dembele and Vertonghen, who knows who it could be. 

I suspect Spurs. 

Chelsea have Lukaku, Hazard, De Bruyne and Courtois. Probably one of them.

Chelsea would be my hunch.

Yeah I forgot about Hazard. I always think in these situations who does he play with internationally who has tapped him up on behalf of the club but there are so many Belgians in the Premier league it doesn't really help in this case. 

Didn't Courtois come right out and say he was going to tap up CB when they were on international duty together just a few weeks ago?

If we get 20-25m for benteke then thats good business. Sell him for 3/3.5 times more than we paid for him. Essentially he could be a one hit wonder. I expect us to get around £5/6m for Bent too. I think we will spend about £15m on a new striker and midfielder then pay Ireland off and pocket the rest.

It feels like we make it easy for our best players to leave. It happened to Milner, Downing and Young. To be honest it has been happening for a long time (Southgate and Ugo springs to mind). I realise that transfers is a part of the game, and I agree that we shouldn't keep unhappy players at the club, but how do one define unhappy? I don't think Benteke is having a totally miserable time here.

Man Utd is saying Rooney isn't for sale, the same for Bale and Suarez. They are better teams than us, but at least they are making it clear that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable and creates a culture so players don't see us only as a stepping stone.

I dont blame his agent or other players Benteke is a grown man. He has made this decision. I look forward to giving him the full Downing if I ever see him play again.

Is it a general consensus that we all boo the players that left us beside Ashley Young? He is about the only player that left without leaving a sour taste in my mouth. 

How do teams like Everton keep their players like Fellaini and Baines. If we had these players they'd all want out.

To be honest, although the majority of us thought the Genk situation last Summer was a one off, it seems as if Benteke and/or his agent simply have no problem with stamping their feet and throwing their toys out of the pram. Not every player is the same.

He's been tapped up, that is evident as it would be stupid to hand in a transfer request after not even a year here, let alone the fact he has been successful.

How do teams like Everton keep their players like Fellaini and Baines. If we had these players they'd all want out.

Although they have held on to their players for maybe too long, we have to remember they have been a much better team than us for years. They were 6th last season and we were 15th, the season before that we were 16th and they were 7th. I think it's strange that Fellaini and Baines, and maybe Jagielka, are still there... but maybe they have a team of people telling other teams to **** off whilst our gang bend over.

I dont blame his agent or other players Benteke is a grown man. He has made this decision. I look forward to giving him the full Downing if I ever see him play again.

Is it a general consensus that we all boo the players that left us beside Ashley Young? He is about the only player that left without leaving a sour taste in my mouth. 

Booing is one thing, the sheer naked rage heaped on Downing is a joy to behold :) Benteke can have the same.

Some joker on talksport

Villa might be interested in Huddlestone + Cash

Yeah right

How much cash 50p?

Joking aside 15m straight cash is being banded about on a Spurs forum.

They are in cloud cuckoo land if they think they are getting him for 15 mill

If i was them i would not mess around i doubt they are the only club looking at him

Making nonsense bids like that will do nothing but piss the club off and push him to another club a club that respects his ability the selling clubs valuation and are willing to pay for it

Now is not the time to play hardball If Spurs want to be a top 4 club they need to spend the money otherwise they can finish 5th again next season

**** off Levy

Edited by AshVilla

Some joker on talksport

Villa might be interested in Huddlestone + Cash

Yeah right

How much cash 50p?

Joking aside 15m straight cash is being banded about on a Spurs forum.

They are in cloud cuckoo land if they think they are getting him for 15 mill

If i was them i would not mess around i doubt they are the only club looking at him

Making nonsense bids like that will do nothing but piss the club off and push him to another club a club that respects his ability and are willing to pay for it

**** off Levy

Think this is one major positive Ash, although I believe only Chelsea could afford our real valuation, it is quite likely that a bidding war will start now that it is known he 100% wants to leave.

If it is Chelsea that want him, this would be my terms if I was Lambert, Faulkner and Lerner:

£20m plus Lukaku on loan for the whole of next season, with Chelsea paying at least 50% of his salary and a clause that says we can sign him at the end of the season for a max of £10m if we want to.

I just hope that Lerner gives the bulk, if not all, of the money to Lambert to re-invest in the team.

Only concern for me is the impact Benteke had on our team. His goals and assists aside, we would most likely have gone down last season. Yes we have new players but they are all practically unknown and could be anything. We're not guaranteed them being good enough and another season of struggle could ensue, which of course could happen with or without Benteke. I just thought that we were guaranteed goals from this guy and we cannot guarantee that Helenius or any other striker we may purchase is going to give us the attacking threat that Benteke has.

I really hope that the right deal is struck and we don't have to regret him leaving. It would be hilarious though if we did a deal with Chelsea and Benteke ended up not scoring as many as Lukaku :)

Â