Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

44 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

By his standards it was a decent performance but he demonstrated no quality or cutting edge. In particular the moment where he cut inside and shot he should have pass the ball square to McCormack who was not only in a better shooting position but is also a better finisher - brainless. 

It happened in a split second.

It might have looked the obvious thing to do, sat watching on Sky Sports 1 but they were almost on top of each other immediately.

I wouldn't blame him for that personally.

Just now, Butterfingers said:

It happened in a split second.

It might have looked the obvious thing to do, sat watching on Sky Sports 1 but they were almost on top of each other immediately.

I wouldn't blame him for that personally.

A good player would have seen McCormack in space and passed it, sadly Bacuna isn't a good player. 

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Excellent. Let's hope that one cross 18 months ago can be the inspiration for our promotion

It wasn't 1 cross.  He was instrumental in that mini revival under Sherwood.

Benteke was raving about him.  Have a look at the Sunderland 4-0 and see the damage he caused.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A good player would have seen McCormack in space and passed it, sadly Bacuna isn't a good player. 

Do you realise how perfect the weight of the pass would have had to have been in such a short distance?

I'm not claiming Bacuna is a good player but I don't blame him for shooting in that position. I'd add that there are not many players on the planet, let alone the championship that could have made a better chance by passing in that situation.

7 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

It wasn't 1 cross.  He was instrumental in that mini revival under Sherwood.

Benteke was raving about him.  Have a look at the Sunderland 4-0 and see the damage he caused.

He was instrumental in our relegation. 

Don't think he deserves the stick he gets.

He is an okay player and find to be a squad player should we bring in a new CM and winger. Think confidence is the issue with him - as with many players. If he gets used to winning a few games, think he would be a completely different player. 

*tin hat on* Would be interested in seeing him at RB again. Think if someone coached him on his positioning, he is athletic enough to do a good job there. Better than Hutton anyway - which I know isn't saying much, but still. 

• Like 1

I was at the game today and didn't hear any boos aimed towards him

i thought he did ok and was nice to see him chase down some lost causes. Looked like he gave a damn. 

That being said I don't think he is a starter in midfield. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

As was every other member of the squad.

Why the need to single out Bacuna?

He is wearing a Villa shirt and is charged with being instrumental in our promotion

Being negative/booing him is being instrumental in ensuring we don't get promoted.

The vast majority of that squad are being shipped out let's not pretend bacuna is the sole victim here. If lescott had played today it would have been similar. 

Your last point I kind of agree with and I think could be bad for us. That's why I think we should get rid. He's not good enough for fans to forgive him. 

Didn't hear any booing today tbf

didnt do enough in preseason to warrant starting and green should have come on earlier IMO he was a bit safe and reserved today, still think his problem is he's a jack of all trades and quite definitely master of none, he's not quick enough, or skillful enough or naturally a winger, he doesn't track back well enough to protect Hutton and he doesn't really cross that much from deep...so what exactly does he do? He's a bit ineffectual and pointless 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The vast majority of that squad are being shipped out let's not pretend bacuna is the sole victim here. If lescott had played today it would have been similar. 

Your last point I kind of agree with and I think could be bad for us. That's why I think we should get rid. He's not good enough for fans to forgive him. 

He's on a 4 year contract and the new manager appears to want to involve him.

Maybe getting rid isn't an option?  Maybe getting rid of others is priority?

It is highly unlikely that Bacuna will be starting for us come September.  If the manager sees him as an asset to the club then we should support both the manager and the player.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yes, I haven't said they shouldn't. I've just said they won't. unfortunately that's the situation. I'd rather him no play because of that and his lack of ability. 

Problem is, the manager wants to play him.

So who picks the team, the fans or the manager?

Villa is a house that needed to be knocked down. That'll be more difficult if we keep rebuilding the old one. He's not a great player, he never will be, but we're going to need him this year, we're going to need to be a more normal football club - that's going to require an effort from both sides of the white line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Problem is, the manager wants to play him.

So who picks the team, the fans or the manager?

I'm in agreement. We need to be fully behind the team. But you saying that and me saying that and others saying that doesn't make it happen. It's not going to happen. We have a lot of fans who will not forgive bacuna and a few others and will show that given the opportunity. 

My point isn't that we turn on bacuna, my point is that this isn't a Disney movie and just wanting positive solidarity doesn't make it happen. Why allow the chance for negativity from the fan base for a player that actually isn't very good? If he doesn't play then it doesn't encourage the backlash. And if he doesn't play we really haven't lost much to the team.