Gardening

Stevo985

13 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Just had a thunderstorm here. It rumbled away as I was making a cup of tea and then a load of water starts pouring off the roof. MrsVM just got a stand to put up one of the walls outside and we had all our Tomato and Pepper plants along with a few herbs and some Leeks on it. I assume the gutter is blocked on the upstairs flat or the wind and amount of rain just blew all over the place but basically it just channeled all that rain like a big waterfall all over the place. Had a few bigger tubs with Tomatoes in too. So I ran out to try and save them. Just squeezed out my top over the sink it was so wet. Anyway. Soaked to the bone and I'm assuming loads of early seedlings lost :(

On a completely unrelated point, and apologies if inappropriate, I've noticed tomato plants are frequently used to camouflage marijuana crops. Know anything about why?

You did mention you lost a few herbs. But I'm pretty confident they're unrelated to the herb I'm talking about, right?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Just had a thunderstorm here. It rumbled away as I was making a cup of tea and then a load of water starts pouring off the roof. MrsVM just got a stand to put up one of the walls outside and we had all our Tomato and Pepper plants along with a few herbs and some Leeks on it. I assume the gutter is blocked on the upstairs flat or the wind and amount of rain just blew all over the place but basically it just channeled all that rain like a big waterfall all over the place. Had a few bigger tubs with Tomatoes in too. So I ran out to try and save them. Just squeezed out my top over the sink it was so wet. Anyway. Soaked to the bone and I'm assuming loads of early seedlings lost :(

Didn't have the intense rain here, but we did get some crazy gusts of wind that have managed to knock a load of stuff over. We'd spent a few weeks making some borders to the lawn to get some colour out there. It doesn't need to be just lawn anymore as the kids aren't exactly running around with footballs these days.

Got up this morning and clearly chairs, bins and timber have been rolling up and down the new flower bed.

Then saw this on the old twitter...

D8e0CaUXoAYb5JE.jpg

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

On a completely unrelated point, and apologies if inappropriate, I've noticed tomato plants are frequently used to camouflage marijuana crops. Know anything about why?

You did mention you lost a few herbs. But I'm pretty confident they're unrelated to the herb I'm talking about, right?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cfb973a736f7a4b63

"It takes all the Thyme and all the energy we have to conquer the idiocy in us"

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cfb97e17565646567

quote-there-s-rosemary-that-s-for-rememb

"The sage is fine it is down by my onions" - Marv 2019

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

My assumption is that it uses a similar plant food NPK ratio to grow tomatoes as it does the other. Although the plants don't seem that similar. Not if you're doing it right anyway

• Like 1

In the harsh light of day the herbs escaped the brunt of it. Rosemary well happy and thyme needs a bit of new soil but survived the scare. Most of my peppers have just lost 1/2 to 1/3 of the soil in the tubs so they'll be fine and it's pretty cool seeing all the exposed root structures. Protected a bit by the shelves. Couple of the smaller ones got washed out the pots though. One pot of leeks is fine. The other has a couple of survivors in it but there's still loads of them to spread out somewhere when the time comes.

Tomato plants took the worst of it. but a few survivors of each variety it seems. The little bit of Spinach is no more. I had 10 moneymakers growing on in a planter. There's 2 left this morning. The cherry toms I lost 3 that got snapped but the rest seem salvageable. Loads of nice potting soil lost dammit.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Then saw this on the old twitter...

D8e0CaUXoAYb5JE.jpg

I thought the weather went crazy but not that crazy :blink: the rain turned to hail at one point when I was out there and back to rain. But it was just pouring off the valley bit of roof. Anyway I'll ask upstairs if he can check his gutters but 'twas not normal!

• 2 weeks later...

Folks - i want to have my front lawn dug up and returfed. It's a standard 12' by 18' at a guess. Nothing fancy, just a new lawn laying.

Do any VTers have any experiences on this ? I have absolutely no idea on the cost. I can have an educated guess on say, the daily rate a decorator would charge or to resurface my garage roof but that's about it.

Yes, i know i should get quotes in and i probably will but I'd like a general idea such as "you'd need at least £1000" or if they also charge by the day, is skip hire extra for the old lawn etc.....

Many thanks. 

Edited by mottaloo

20 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Folks - i want to have my front lawn dug up and returfed. It's a standard 12' by 18' at a guess. Nothing fancy, just a new lawn laying.

Do any VTers have any experiences on this ? I have absolutely no idea on the cost. I can have an educated guess on say, the daily rate a decorator would charge or to resurface my garage roof but that's about it.

Yes, i know i should get quotes in and i probably will but I'd like a general idea such as "you'd need at least £1000" or if they also charge by the day, is skip hire extra for the old lawn etc.....

Many thanks. 

Seeding it instead will save you a fourtune. 

I’m absolutely hopeless at gardening, but even I managed to re-do my back lawn and it worked out great. Cost me about £150, including a couple of new tools. 

I also got some weird satisfaction out of it. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Many thanks. 

Why do you want to dig it up?  If because of the quality, ie more moss than lawn, I'd have a think about scarifying it, then dressing it with new seed, sand and topsoil.  I did this to mine 2 years ago, and as @wazzap24 said the satisfaction you get is great.  Certainly a lot cheaper than starting all over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The prep was the worst part. 

The intention was to do a couple of patches, but once I started raking, it became apparent that the whole lawn was approx 80% weed/moss, 20% grass! 

Once id finished raking it looked like a dystopian wasteland and I was getting the ‘how much are we going to have to pay someone to sort this out’ look from the wife, but it turned out well in the end! 

If anyone has a Costco membership and needs top-soil/compost/seed/feed, they have loads of high quality stuff on the cheap. 

What a time to be alive guys. 

• Haha 1

We had our garden turfed last year at the start of that long hot summer, so twice a day I was watering it. We had patches that didn't die so Greenthumb are sorting it out now. 

Someone has been stealing my strawberries.

This small cache of half-decayed berries was under a bush, about a metre from the strawberry plants.  They haven't rolled there or been blown there, it's level ground and the plants are under nets.  They have been carried there.  It's a blatant attempt to create a stash for later consumption.

Meanwhile, Edinburgh Council did nothing.

IMG_20190703_110825313.jpg

May've asked this before, but does anyone here cook up bio-char?

If you don't, and are interested in a bit of alchemy that will give you the richest soil, then get googling.

My Dad makes it on the regular. He looks exactly like Walter White when he throws on his overalls and sets up the big barrel.

Hilarious!

Â