Worst Premiership Villa Side Ever?

villa-revolution

Mark Kinsella just has to be on the list.  I hear the argument that Hendrie can't shoot, tackle or head the ball, however he played some very good games for us and got into the England team (once) on the merit of a very good run in form.  Kinsella was not even recognizable as a football player at any stage of his Villa career.  The only thing he had in his locker was pointing, which as a tour guide may be a valuable tool, but as a pro footballer is worth jack.  They even played in the same team and at no stage was Kinsella the better player.  He can't pass, can't shoot, can't tackle, doesn't cover, doesn't make penetrative runs, is slow (a bit of an assumption I know as I don't recall seeing him move), can't head and is good for team morale like having John Terry take all the wives out of an evening.  He even got enough games for us to know that it's not a one off it's just how he plays.

Oh, and Alpay was a beast of a defender (Alpay and Mellberg was about as good as it gets as a partnership) and Heskey has earned his way into this thread for his 14 goals in 92 appearances and for making my heart sink every time his name was announced in the starting line up.

I actually wouldn't put Heskey in the team. He's only really bad when you take into account the wages he was on and the frequency with which he was played. He's certainly one of the poorer strikers we had but he was alright from time to time.

Alpay was excellent in his first season. Should be nowhere near this list. Same for Allback, he saved us from relegation which means he did a hell of a lot more that many.

yeah i was puzzled by alpay, thought he was a good solid player, good in the air and liked a tackle, nothing special on the ball cant remember him having any real weaknesses or making that many mistakes

was disappointed when he left and was furious about the circumstances

Collectively there have been times this season when this team has been the worst ever. However as individuals I can only think of the following and I've only included regulars and those I've seen play as its daft to include those who hardly played or never played.

My Villa Shit XI would be:

GK Enkelman - dodgy keeper

DF Hutton - ticking timebomb

DF Warnock - laughably awful after the first season

DF Ridgewell - too error prone

DF Davies - Dreadful waste of money

RM Bannan - currently the weakest link

LM Ginola - couldnt be arsed for us

CM Kinsella - he liked to point

CM Ireland - overpaid waste of space, massive disappointment

ST Balaban - couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo

ST Heskey - made us a laughing stock, utterly frustrating player

Manager would undoubtedly be McLeish. Never has a manager made me so angry!!!

I will forgive Zat Knight as his last gasp header against Arsenal was probably the most mental I've gone at VP.

I've heard all the arguments before regarding Heskey.

The simple fact is that Emile Heskey was a striker that couldn't score goals.

His hold up play was pretty special.

But he was still a striker that couldn't score goals.

That a good player does not make.

I would put Friedal as being one of the more useless. The only thing he could do was stop the ball if it came at him. Anything to the side, or commanding the area/defense he was the worse!

Or perhaps Given. Hasn't played much, but with his wages and his poor displays and cockups as got to be the worse all in.  (He use to be a top keeper, but we got him too late)

Rubbish.

Friedel wasn't amazing, but he was very good. To call him the most useless amongst some of the others we've had is madness.

Same with GIven. He started this season poorly and was rightly dropped, but everyone seems to forget that he was one of the reasons we stayed in the league last season. He was perfectly fine in goal last year.

No. People only judge keepers on what they notice. ie. the saves they make.

In Friedals case you notice he made a fantastic stop. What you dont notice was that it was straight down his throat or within reach. You don't notice the goals he lets in that are a yard either side, or the fact that another keeper would have in fact saved them. You also don't notice there poor ability in the air, catching and commanding his players.

People only have a perception on keepers based on saves and mistakes and not there overall game or their performance compared to other keepers.

I also didnt say he was most useless; just that he was one in a group of under performing keepers we have had.

I',m sorry but you are so wrong. "People" don't judge a keeper from his saves. Maybe you do, and maybe some other do that too, but "people" don't. And it certainly doesn't define a good keeper. A good keeper is a keeper who's positioning is that good that he mostly doesn't have to make great saves. That's Friedel. A great keeper is a keeper who's good at positioning but still can make those fantastic saves when good positioning isn't enough. And commands his area. That's Schmeichel at his best. And actually Guzan if he keeps on like he's done this season. A keeper who can make fantastic saves but make some howlers ain't a very good keeper. That's Sörensen. But I liked Sörensen for his sometimes fantastic saves. But Friedel was/is a very good keeper. Just not a great keepr. And a little weak at commanding his area.

Encklemen

Hutton

Zack Knight

Ridgewell

Lyod Samuel

Mark Kinsella

Robert Pires

Didier Agath

Erik Bakke

Bosko Balaban

Stefan Moore

Banging team

And this si probably the team I'd chose too. Maybe I'd put Kiraly in there instead of Enckelman.

I would put Friedal as being one of the more useless. The only thing he could do was stop the ball if it came at him. Anything to the side, or commanding the area/defense he was the worse!

Or perhaps Given. Hasn't played much, but with his wages and his poor displays and cockups as got to be the worse all in.  (He use to be a top keeper, but we got him too late)

Rubbish.

Friedel wasn't amazing, but he was very good. To call him the most useless amongst some of the others we've had is madness.

Same with GIven. He started this season poorly and was rightly dropped, but everyone seems to forget that he was one of the reasons we stayed in the league last season. He was perfectly fine in goal last year.

No. People only judge keepers on what they notice. ie. the saves they make.

In Friedals case you notice he made a fantastic stop. What you dont notice was that it was straight down his throat or within reach. You don't notice the goals he lets in that are a yard either side, or the fact that another keeper would have in fact saved them. You also don't notice there poor ability in the air, catching and commanding his players.

People only have a perception on keepers based on saves and mistakes and not there overall game or their performance compared to other keepers.

I also didnt say he was most useless; just that he was one in a group of under performing keepers we have had.

I',m sorry but you are so wrong. "People" don't judge a keeper from his saves. Maybe you do, and maybe some other do that too, but "people" don't. And it certainly doesn't define a good keeper. A good keeper is a keeper who's positioning is that good that he mostly doesn't have to make great saves. That's Friedel. A great keeper is a keeper who's good at positioning but still can make those fantastic saves when good positioning isn't enough. And commands his area. That's Schmeichel at his best. And actually Guzan if he keeps on like he's done this season. A keeper who can make fantastic saves but make some howlers ain't a very good keeper. That's Sörensen. But I liked Sörensen for his sometimes fantastic saves. But Friedel was/is a very good keeper. Just not a great keepr. And a little weak at commanding his area.

Pelle - A good keeper is one who can save a Swedish Villa flag from going missing at Scruffy McGuffy's when a bunch of Swedish Villa Fanatics (pissed out of their skulls) are passionately shouting " Bork! Bork! Bork" for all they are worth!  :P

PS - So happy your flag turned up - Villa Sweden, WE LOVE YOU! "Bork! Bork! Bork!"

• Like 1

Allback was one of the chief culprits in leaving us in fear of relegation that season, he was awful. Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo until the last few games. This "saved us from relegation" line is just silly he was guilty of getting us there in the first place

Allback was one of the chief culprits in leaving us in fear of relegation that season, he was awful. Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo until the last few games. This "saved us from relegation" line is just silly he was guilty of getting us there in the first place

That season was a shambles from start to finish, very much like last season, with no sign of improvement. Taylor forcing merse and schmeicel out contributed massively to our near miss, staunton had to be 36 that season, leonhardson and kinsella were 33ish. Allback cost £1.5 million, and saved the club £60 million from not being relegated, anyway my team

Enckleman

De la cruz

Davies

Beye

Warnock

Hadgi

Kinsella

Leonhardson

Kachloul

Balaban

Crouch

That season was a shambles from start to finish, very much like last season, with no sign of improvement. Taylor forcing merse and schmeicel out contributed massively to our near miss, staunton had to be 36 that season, leonhardson and kinsella were 33ish. Allback cost £1.5 million, and saved the club £60 million from not being relegated

He was as guilty, watch the small heath game that season and see how woeful he was and he was like that for all but three games of the season

Milan Baros has to come into the equation of one of worst ever strikers.

No way. He scored a few goals, two in the derby and we got John Carew for nothing in a straight swap. Balaban was the same price and contributed nothing.

Â