Gaming Recommendations...

Don_Simon

Word up fellow VT'ers!

Gaming help is needed please... Im on a massive money saving mission currently, (have slightly over stretched my summer plans and as such my life between now and July 17th will be spent hibernating, hoarding money wherever possible!)

So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a PS3 game I can sink my teeth into?

Only really play F1 and Fifa 13 currently, so would quite like a RPG to get to grips with. My brother recommended Unchartered, but i'd quite like to gauge others opinion if possible. Would just like a good story, something that will take me a while, and not too difficult for my very basic gaming skills.

Cheers for all / any help!

Have you played Red Dead Redemption?

Someone on here said they got the Game of the Year Edition for £12 the other day.

Absolute bargain, one of the best games ever and will keep you going for weeks.

Not an RPG, but still.

I'm not up to speed on PS3 RPGs but I heard that its version of Skyrim was pretty rough. What about Fallout: New Vegas?

Have you played Batman: Arkham City? Not an RPG, but it's one of the best games of the past decade and it's almost endlessly replayable what with all the side quests, Riddler trophies and challenge maps.

MGS4 if you like a very good and long story, helps if you're familiar with the other MGS's though.

Red Dead is great for a few weeks

Fall Out is very good, and it's very accessible for new players to RPGs like I was when I bought it.  If you like futuristic, art deco feels then this is a good game.  If however you like fantasy and D&D then Skyrims the way to go.

I bought BF3 18months ago and I love the multiplayer on it, although it does help if you have a certain amount of skill, its very competitive, similar to COD games.

GTA4 will keep you going, especially if you buy the liberty city stories DLC with it, it'll last you months and it's pretty simple.

Not really into RPGs myself, but ask Ginko/Hogso, they're knowledgeable about most of them! :D

join PSN+ for 3 months for £11

you get games to download on a monthly basis, usually 2 proper games and an indie game, think its LOTR war of the north and okami at the moment it was mass effect 3 and dead or alive 5 last month, they change on the 6th of every month

seen a rumour that its hitman absolution and catherine next month so for £11 you could have 4 games to play by the 6th...

• Like 1

If you're not really into RPGs, I doubt you're going to be into JRPG's, so despite Ni No Kuni being an absolutely breathtaking game, I'm not sure it's the right one for you.

It really depends what you're into. You can't really go wrong with Skyrim and it's probably one of the longest games suggested so it's going to last you a while. I'd suggest Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition but it seems to divide people on here.

I'd personally back the call for Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, who doesn't like Batman? The games are absolutely brilliant.

The Uncharted series is a good shout, the acting and story are really good and the gameplay is a lot of fun. The only drawback I'd say is that it won't last you very long since the story mode on all three games are relatively short compared to something like Skyrim.

Give us more information. Are you into sci-fi? Sword and sorcery and fantasy? Are you into more contemporary stories with more realistic elements?

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Mass Effect series of games. If you like sci-fi then you'll absolutely love them and they'll keep you going for a while. I'd personally skip the first game in the series and invest in Mass Effect 2, the best in the trilogy. You can read up about the events of the first game online if you really want to, or you can download the Genesis pack (though it does cost you a few quid) which briefly fills you in and gives you some of the choices that you had to make in Mass Effect 1 which affect the story for Mass Effect 2.

But yeah, it depends what you're into.

1. Get a Lovefilm gaming account. The one I have is £5.89, which gives me two games a month.

2. Create a list of games (see some of the suggestions here - I'd back up the calls for Uncharted series, Arkham, Skyrim, Red Dead and would also add Assassin's Creed and InFamous series as a start)

3. Play through a bottomless supply of games for £70 quid a year.

I was going to suggest portal but he specified he wanted something that takes him a while and you could probably get through that in 10 hours.

Going for The Orange Box as a whole would be a good idea though.

Â