I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

After buying an older car as my first car, I now deal with warning lights by referring to them as 'Fairy Lights' and have trained my brain to be disappointed when they don't illuminate. It's much less stressful.

My old car used to light up like a gambling machine. Favourites included the Skiddy Car light, The Funny shaped box light and the ever-present exclamation mark.

None of them seemed to signify anything of any importance.

• Like 1

After buying an older car as my first car, I now deal with warning lights by referring to them as 'Fairy Lights' and have trained my brain to be disappointed when they don't illuminate. It's much less stressful.

My old car used to light up like a gambling machine. Favourites included the Skiddy Car light, The Funny shaped box light and the ever-present exclamation mark.

Volkswagen?

Volkswagen?

Haha yes pretty much - Seat Leon (which is essentially a poor man's Golf).

Volkswagen?

Or a rich mans skoda fabia

Volkswagen?

Thought so, as I recognise those lights :D

Fwiw, the funny shaped box one is pretty serious

(assuming it was this one)

icon11.png

It passed an MOT 3 days before I bought it. Broke down and got towed away on my first day of ownership (and driving...)

Battery completely loose inside the car, so it had messed around with the electrics.

The guy had clearly gone to sell the car and thought, I'll have that battery and put a shit one in. Changed it in a hurry, didn't bolt it down properly and for my first month I had nothing but electrical fun.

TOUCH WOOD, currently, it's alright. Apart from geting frozen on the inside as well as the outside of the windscreen.

When I was about 13 I stole a condom from my dad's bedside table and used it for a posh wank. I didn't want to put it in the bin in case my mum saw it, so I tried to flush it down the toilet. After the fourth or fifth attempt I realised it probably wasn't going to flush. So I did the next best thing; I left it on a shelf in my bedroom for a few months before it disappeared one day after my mum cleaned my room.

Thank god she didn't see it in the bin, that would have been embarrassing.

• Like 4

Volkswagen?

icon11.png

That's the one, Engine management light. The only way I could resolve it was to have it turned off by a friend with a diagnostics box the day before selling it to some unwitting member of the Polish mafia. 

Thats the engine management light, it can be many things from very serious to not serious at all. Would suggest getting codes read for that one.

I went to some dodgy garage when I got it and they ran some sort of diagnostic test and said "yeah it's fine. Don't worry about it" and turned off the light.

Next day, light came back, engine died. Took it to the dealership and it cost me about £1200 :( :( :(

Edited by Stevo985

Thats the engine management light, it can be many things from very serious to not serious at all. Would suggest getting codes read for that one.

I went to some dodgy garage when I got it and they ran some sort of diagnostic test and said "yeah it's fine. Don't worry about it" and turned off the light.

Next day, light came back, engine died. Took it to the dealership and it cost me about £1200 :( :( :(

I got myself a bluetooth OBII connector off ebay for about £10 and downloaded torque pro app from the play store for about £3 and now when I get a fault light I can scan the car in 2 mins and find out what the problem is.

I was getting a spanner light come up just after buying my car last year which would put it in limp home mode. Traced it myself to be DPF not doing a regen and fixed it myself by ragging the shit out of it for an hour. £13 well spent.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Volkswagen?

icon11.png

That's the one, Engine management light. The only way I could resolve it was to have it turned off by a friend with a diagnostics box the day before selling it to some unwitting member of the Polish mafia. 

I think you'll find that's called the helicopter light and it's nothing serious at all. At least that's what my other half says and she has been driving with that light on for 18 months.

(Still no idea how it's supposed to look like a helicopter though).

• Like 1