Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Gosh does anyone else feel that all those years ago when Gregory was manager, Benni Mccarthy (mentioned in theaabove link) dumped us out of the Intertoto in the summer playing for Celta Vigo? We seemed to chase him for ages afterwards but Ellis never stumped up the cash.

Back in those days when he was 23/24 I thought he could've done a great job for us. Just what we needed at the time as well, a fast prolific striker.

Ah good but frustrating memories.

What could Gregory's strong defensive team done if they'd had a player like Benteke in the side??

Ah can't go back.

• Like 1

Gosh does anyone else feel that all those years ago when Gregory was manager, Benni Mccarthy (mentioned in theaabove link) dumped us out of the Intertoto in the summer playing for Celta Vigo? We seemed to chase him for ages afterwards but Ellis never stumped up the cash.

Back in those days when he was 23/24 I thought he could've done a great job for us. Just what we needed at the time as well, a fast prolific striker.

Ah good but frustrating memories.

What could Gregory's strong defensive team done if they'd had a player like Benteke in the side??

Ah can't go back.

I remember that - it was at the Hawthorns right? He did a big dandyish celebration when he scored. Think we signed Dion that autumn though.

Benni McCarthy was nothing to do with Doug Ellis. Celta Vigo tried to hold us to ransom and mucked and messed about trying to get about £17million. In the end Villa set a deadline and they didn't hear anything, so moved on and eventually got Angel. Story goes that Celta Vigo were ringing the phone off the hook shortly after the deadline Gregory had set, they'd lost their game of brinkmanship.

think I read Gregory wanted Vieri and Doug wouldnt pay the money as was way out of our price range.

I remember a link with Johan Micoud as well when he was at Parma and he went Germany and was brilliant for Bremen :(

I am finding the transfer links rather exciting this year and the best thing about them for me is the character of the players we look to be in for.

I am 100% behind Lamberts transfer policy on bringing players in who just really want to play football.

• Like 1

I an recent JG interview he claims Van Nistelrooy was his first choice target but Doug baulked at the asking price. Claimed there were numerous other top players he enquired about but were to1o expensive and that doug essentially sabotaged the progress villa made under JG by not pushing the boat out a little when he got villa finishing in the top six with average players

I an recent JG interview he claims Van Nistelrooy was his first choice target but Doug baulked at the asking price. Claimed there were numerous other top players he enquired about but were to1o expensive and that doug essentially sabotaged the progress villa made under JG by not pushing the boat out a little when he got villa finishing in the top six with average players

Average?

Bosnich/James, Southgate, Dublin, Merson, Taylor, Barry, Boateng, Ehiogu, Carbone, Hendrie etc etc... Was not average squad. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Average?

Bosnich/James, Southgate, Dublin, Merson, Taylor, Barry, Boateng, Ehiogu, Carbone, Hendrie etc etc... Was not average squad. 

Well thats what JG said! Really Ehiogu, Carbone, Taylor, Hendrie and even Boateng I would only class as slightly above average the rest were class though, your forgeting Yorke! Carbone was flamboyant and skillful but inconsistent, Ehiogu was prone to the odd gaffe and on the ball was pretty poor, Hendrie believed his own hype and never fulfilled his promise. 

I do kinda get why Ellis didn't put out the money when you watch what happened to the teams who bought expensive players, like Leeds. Would be interesting to know the finances of Villa at that time and how much money Ellis took from the club as salary, bonuses etc.

I do kinda get why Ellis didn't put out the money when you watch what happened to the teams who bought expensive players, like Leeds. Would be interesting to know the finances of Villa at that time and how much money Ellis took from the club as salary, bonuses etc.

My major issue with Ellis was never financial, it was the lies. I'll never forget those **** lists.

I know we've yet to sign anyone - but the noises coming from various players/chairmen/agents would indicate that Lambert is to trying get as much transfer  business done ASAP rather than waiting it out until deadline day. Our start last year was brutal - think it was a bit of a panic to get guys in in the end as the results were going so badly.