Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Anybody know what the record is for the most transfer deals in any one window & are we trying to break into the guinness book of records this summer?

This is a classic case of, "Keep 'em all coming."

Sunderland had 11 or 12 a couple of years ago I think.

Anybody know what the record is for the most transfer deals in any one window & are we trying to break into the guinness book of records this summer?

Worked out so well for them too :P

Stoke have had a few in recent years as well where they seem to sign a new team

There isn't quite as much money in the Bundesliga though and they signed him for €1m. £10-12m may get him but i'd still be dubious.

However we have bid for, enquired about, spoken to or been linked with: Dempsey, Coutinho, Belhanda and now Kiyotake since Lambert took over. Denials of interest (Coutinho) and conspiracy theories (that i agree with) about Dempsey being bid for to close the Benteke deal aside those are some very good players that all play in the central attacking midfield role.

If we can sign a player of those fours ilk before the close of the window I will be very very happy and we all know we need to add more goals and assists from midfield and this is a key position for us. A player like that threading passes through to our front three and chipping in with goals of their own would be crucial for us.

Hopefully theres no smoke without fire

Yeah, all those players seem to capable of providing that 'spark' at the team with exception of Dempsey IMO what Villa has lacked for years, maybe ever since Merson: creative player with the flair who can "spark", IMO teams need the player who can spark the game, Gazza was like that, Merson was at least to an extent, Le Tissier (as much as I dislike him nowdays). Lambert seems to share my view that those kind of players can be huge game changers.

Agree with the gist of your post, but I thought all Le Tissier ever did was amble about the pitch until he got the chance to score a last minute wonder goal?

There isn't quite as much money in the Bundesliga though and they signed him for €1m. £10-12m may get him but i'd still be dubious.

However we have bid for, enquired about, spoken to or been linked with: Dempsey, Coutinho, Belhanda and now Kiyotake since Lambert took over. Denials of interest (Coutinho) and conspiracy theories (that i agree with) about Dempsey being bid for to close the Benteke deal aside those are some very good players that all play in the central attacking midfield role.

If we can sign a player of those fours ilk before the close of the window I will be very very happy and we all know we need to add more goals and assists from midfield and this is a key position for us. A player like that threading passes through to our front three and chipping in with goals of their own would be crucial for us.

Hopefully theres no smoke without fire

Yeah, all those players seem to capable of providing that 'spark' at the team with exception of Dempsey IMO what Villa has lacked for years, maybe ever since Merson: creative player with the flair who can "spark", IMO teams need the player who can spark the game, Gazza was like that, Merson was at least to an extent, Le Tissier (as much as I dislike him nowdays). Lambert seems to share my view that those kind of players can be huge game changers.

Agree with the gist of your post, but I thought all Le Tissier ever did was amble about the pitch until he got the chance to score a last minute wonder goal?

Maybe, he was lazy though. Claimedly he stayed in Southampton because teams who wanted to buy him wouldn't give the same special treatment (lax training, star player of the team etc) as Southampton did.

My local team had 18 two season ago, maybe 19 not sure. I know it`s not England but that is pretty crazy. Whole first 11 got replaced almost. New trainer as well, and most of the transfers was done before he came along.

I would love for us to try and sign Scott Parker if he is available. It is all well and good with all these unknown potential gems, but we all want to place high in the table next season and we desperately need some experience and grit, and hopefully from the same player. I am a firm believer of the fact that young players need guidance from the older players or else they will not develop like they could, just think about learning from Parker, Giggs, Scholes, Vieira, Terry, Lampard et al instead of just playing with guys you also played with in the Reserves. If you are good enough, you are old enough - of course - but we put a lot of faith in young players developing into Premier League-material instantly, and we saw how that turned out last season. Mixing signings like Okore with a Parker or two is the right way to go, even though it means we have to fork out a bit of wages here and there. We can obviously afford it with all the outgoing players (on high wages) and the new TV-deal. 

I would love for us to try and sign Scott Parker if he is available. It is all well and good with all these unknown potential gems, but we all want to place high in the table next season and we desperately need some experience and grit, and hopefully from the same player. I am a firm believer of the fact that young players need guidance from the older players or else they will not develop like they could, just think about learning from Parker, Giggs, Scholes, Vieira, Terry, Lampard et al instead of just playing with guys you also played with in the Reserves. If you are good enough, you are old enough - of course - but we put a lot of faith in young players developing into Premier League-material instantly, and we saw how that turned out last season. Mixing signings like Okore with a Parker or two is the right way to go, even though it means we have to fork out a bit of wages here and there. We can obviously afford it with all the outgoing players (on high wages) and the new TV-deal.

Available for 4m but must be on about 50k a week at spurs!

Last season I would of said yes but not this year, too old and I think our midfielders will not progress aswell if we sign him.

Really? Scott Parker is shocking now.. How anyone can think he would fit into our new philosophy baffles me. Ok, maybe we could do with one or two experience heads, but Scott Parker is on his way out. His legs are not what they were and he just simply put, would not help us moving forwards and would generally slow our play down. Stay away for me.

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned but I would like to see some British players signed as well this window! I'm assuming PL is getting his overseas targets in first then hopefully the players based in Britain will follow. Looking at Westwood and Lowton, he obviously knows a good British player when he sees one. 

Call me old fashioned but I would like to see some British players signed as well this window! I'm assuming PL is getting his overseas targets in first then hopefully the players based in Britain will follow. Looking at Westwood and Lowton, he obviously knows a good British player when he sees one. 

We've already got a lot of British players though. Looking abroad for signings after years and years of only signing from the UK is exactly what we needed.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Okay I will - old fashioned!