Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

does he really? Looking at his goals on Youtube. Cant say ive seen him play more than 2-3 full games. But he reminds me of Bent. Bent didnt fit into his plans how will Austin?

His goals were mainly from poor defending/crosses (we cant cross for shit) unless he plans to buy wingers..

IMO we need pacy wingers who can cross to Benteke and Austin (if he signs). PL seems to like his narrow 4-3-3 though.

If we can get £8m for a 30 year old Bent, and get a £2-3m 25 year old replacement in Austin, then I would say its a good bit of business.

both would be ineffective in our current system. 

I wouldnt compare Austin to Bent.  Think they are different types of players.  Be good business 2 mill for 23 year old and 6 for 29-30 year old

Yep except we paid 24m for Bent so selling him for 6m isn't exactly good business in anyone's book unless we just forget about the other 18m.

does he really? Looking at his goals on Youtube. Cant say ive seen him play more than 2-3 full games. But he reminds me of Bent. Bent didnt fit into his plans how will Austin?

His goals were mainly from poor defending/crosses (we cant cross for shit) unless he plans to buy wingers..

IMO we need pacy wingers who can cross to Benteke and Austin (if he signs). PL seems to like his narrow 4-3-3 though.

If we can get £8m for a 30 year old Bent, and get a £2-3m 25 year old replacement in Austin, then I would say its a good bit of business.

I wouldnt compare Austin to Bent.  Think they are different types of players.  Be good business 2 mill for 23 year old and 6 for 29-30 year old

Yep except we paid 24m for Bent so selling him for 6m isn't exactly good business in anyone's book unless we just forget about the other 18m.

At this moment in time it would be exceptionally good business.  And how do you know for a fact we paid 24 instead of 18?

Id rather keep a known quantity in bent than sell him for the poultry sum of 4 million and reinvesting the £4 million in the unknown quantity of Charlie austin.

I dont think many would argue if the wages were anywhere near the same.

At this moment in time it would be exceptionally good business.  And how do you know for a fact we paid 24 instead of 18?

Whether its 18m or 12m i don't think you can dress it up as good business even if you were Fred Goodwin. :(  

Getting given, ireland, hutton off the books is more important than bent, those contribute nothing, at least when db plays he scores. Anything below £8 million were being mugged off.

Getting given, ireland, hutton off the books is more important than bent, those contribute nothing, at least when db plays he scores. Anything below £8 million were being mugged off.

6 goals in 23 games this season argues otherwise. I'd much rather take a punt on Austin than play Bent.

6 goals in 23 games this season argues otherwise. I'd much rather take a punt on Austin than play Bent.

Also I think Austin would actually try for the shirt... Whats the point in having Bent here on 70k a week sitting on the bench doing jack shite.... I don't even think Bent wants to be here.

I think Austin looks decent. Scored lots of goals and may have the right attitude and quality to help us.

Is he better than Bent? I'd be surprised but he may well be happy in the role we offer him where Bent probably isn't.

In that sense someone like Austin probably would offer us more than Bent at this current time.

• Like 1

More than a bit harsh.

When played he has had to deal with a system that clearly doesn't suit him and does those 23 appearances include substitutions?

I think Austin looks decent. Scored lots of goals and may have the right attitude and quality to help us.

Is he better than Bent? I'd be surprised but he may well be happy in the role we offer him where Bent probably isn't.

In that sense someone like Austin probably would offer us more than Bent at this current time.

Exactly. Or to put it another way. It isn't really relevant whether he's better or not. It's whether he's a better fit for us and I think he probably is. That said, it's no reason to give away an asset on the cheap.

ALEXSANDAR TONEV will let Celtic know in the next 24 hours if he has agreed to sign up for their Champions League adventure.

Yesterday Record Sport exclusively revealed Tonev’s club Lech Poznan are on the brink of agreeing a £2million deal.

Wow only 2 million. Worth the gamble. I hope we are in for him. He looks quality on his Youtube highlight real :D

Theres also an article saying Bannan is available for 2 million. Celtic interested.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Bent. He's always had a good scoring record for us and I don't think he's lazy it's just that his game revolves around being a fox in the box. I do think we should get rid of him but I won't have any bad feelings towards him.

• Like 4

ALEXSANDAR TONEV will let Celtic know in the next 24 hours if he has agreed to sign up for their Champions League adventure.

Yesterday Record Sport exclusively revealed Tonev’s club Lech Poznan are on the brink of agreeing a £2million deal.

Wow only 2 million. Worth the gamble. I hope we are in for him. He looks quality on his Youtube highlight real :D

Theres also an article saying Bannan is available for 2 million. Celtic interested.

Do Celtic have to go through CL qualifiers this year? Because if a player is going there just for champions league football, it could be a couple of games early in the season then nothing but an uncompetitive SPL the rest of the year.

For some reason I thought Charlie Austin was about 28/29.

Can't argue with his goal record, but always looked more Grant Holt than Ian Wright to me. 

I've heard he's a bit flakey anyway. Appropriate name.

Edited by Tomaszk

Do Celtic have to go through CL qualifiers this year? Because if a player is going there just for champions league football, it could be a couple of games early in the season then nothing but an uncompetitive SPL the rest of the year.

Yes, they go into the 2nd qualifying round and then a 3rd qualifying round before the groups. They're currently 2nd seeds in the 2nd qualy round behind BATE Borisov and assuming all goes to form would be 2nd seeds in the 3rd round too. So they should go through if there are no surprises.

EDIT : There's a FOURTH qualy round! They'd be 2nd seeds in that too but it's not exactly full of muppets. Likely to be sides like Dinamo Zagreb, Partizan Belgrade, Austria Vienna, Legia Warsaw. Sides capable of upsetting Celtic.

big deal. At best they make the last 16. So really you may go there for 6-8 games for the year.. most games where they have no chance of progressing.

May as well join Villa and play against Utd.. City.. Chelsea... and have no chance... least you will be in a better shop window. Look at Benteke.

Id rather keep a known quantity in bent than sell him for the poultry sum of 4 million and reinvesting the £4 million in the unknown quantity of Charlie austin.

Austin has looked good in CHampionship though. people said same about Rodriguez and he cost more and looked very good at back end of season

Chicken.
  • Like 2