Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I wonder what "meltdown moment" Richard was referring to? Perhaps Ireland and Given will be leaving?

Tbf mate, Richard said he was 'hoping' for one of those moments. Didn't claim any sort of itk on the subject. 

Yes but it's hardly a secret that Richard sometimes has a bit of information come his way. He also knows his status here as well so him saying he's hoping for a meltdown moment definitely means there's a possibility of something happening.

The £10m player comment is an interesting one - because surely the point of recovering your financial position is that it allows you to reset to an extent and then get back in the race - there's a groundswell of support for what we've done, and what we're doing, but if you stay in 'recovery' mode beyond the natural point of that recovery then I think you open yourself up to some serious questions.

Yep and I think that's the concern.

Has our owner got the ambition for another go at the top clubs or is he happy to just be a premiership club while keeping costs low?

Let's not jump the gun, I reckon with an improvement in revenue through the turnstiles and league position in the next couple of seasons we might be setting ourselves up to have another crack at it. 

Spending big now without first establishing ourselves up the table and getting the core of a good team together would mean overpaying in wages etc. to entice the player to come. Once we have got up the table we'll be a better prospect for better players, we need to get there first though. Then we'll see about ambition.

The £10m player comment is an interesting one - because surely the point of recovering your financial position is that it allows you to reset to an extent and then get back in the race - there's a groundswell of support for what we've done, and what we're doing, but if you stay in 'recovery' mode beyond the natural point of that recovery then I think you open yourself up to some serious questions.

Has our owner got the ambition for another go at the top clubs or is he happy to just be a premiership club while keeping costs low?

Let's not jump the gun, I reckon with an improvement in revenue through the turnstiles and league position in the next couple of seasons we might be setting ourselves up to have another crack at it.

Spending big now without first establishing ourselves up the table and getting the core of a good team together would mean overpaying in wages etc. to entice the player to come. Once we have got up the table we'll be a better prospect for better players, we need to get there first though. Then we'll see about ambition.

We are living on might be's and maybe's - other teams are living on the basis they are a football club - not an investment fund - and want to achieve the best they can on the pitch, not on paper.

Look at it this way then, IF Lerner has reduced wages and POSSIBLY funds aren't going to made available like they have been, then are we going to see a reduction in Season Ticket prices going forward?

Edited by pablo82

Is this the same HH that was PMing me in January telling me he'd made the whole lot up and was in no way ITK in anyway shape or form?

You mean this post here?

Hairyhands

I'm guessing it was tongue in cheek....

I had PMs to similar effect but yes re-reading that I may have misjudged the tone....

DAMMIT. 

The fake ITKs claim they are real and the real ones claim to be fake. 

Who do you trust...... ?

• Like 1

Look at it this way then, IF Lerner has reduced wages and POSSIBLY funds aren't going to made available like they have been, then are we going to see a reduction in Season Ticket prices going forward?

Aston Villa's season ticket prices are already in the bottom half in a league table of ticket prices so they are already matched to our league position. I don't think they would go down unless the club were relegated.

Look at it this way then, IF Lerner has reduced wages and POSSIBLY funds aren't going to made available like they have been, then are we going to see a reduction in Season Ticket prices going forward?

Guesswork.

Hardly. We've got the cheapest seson tickets in the league, behind moneybags Man City.

Perhaps if the prices were increased to match likes of Swansea, Southampton, Fulham, et al, we'd have more money to spend on players :P

Whilst money doesn't buy success and a series or poor judgements and financial mis-managements has led us down a dark path - it is still jarring to see how far adrift we are in terms of spending these days. I loathe Spurs and the fact that even before selling Bale they would have easilty spanked 50 mil up the wall in a heart beat.

I remember excitedly thinking when we signed Stan Collymore we were a 'big' club and for a brief moment when we signed Bent.

There was a time on this and other forums we didn't spend all our time posting the same stuff over and over and over again about wages, poor transfers and getting dead wood off the books. I'm fed up of obsessing over the crap we can't sell rather than what we can realistically buy.

Hardly. We've got the cheapest seson tickets in the league, behind moneybags Man City.

Perhaps if the prices were increased to match likes of Swansea, Southampton, Fulham, et al, we'd have more money to spend on players :P

Aren't gate receipts a tiny, tiny percentage of all football clubs revenue? That's certainly the impression I was under. If that is the case, then raising prices won't make a significant change in the club being ambitious in the transfer market again.

But we're not really talking about spending big now. We're talking about signing a player for around the £8 million mark and according to a reliable ITK that's not possible due to financial constraints.

I'm all for a more sensible approach for this season to build but just a bit disappointed it seems the manager hasn't got as much as I thought he'd get.

I know some suggest its Lambert's choice but surely the enquiry for Kiyotake shows he's probably interested in signing someone in that price range.

Aren't gate receipts a tiny, tiny percentage of all football clubs revenue? That's certainly the impression I was under. If that is the case, then raising prices won't make a significant change in the club being ambitious in the transfer market again.

I wouldn't say a tiny, tiny percentage as clubs wouldn't be interested in expanding their capacities at great expense.

Still doesn't explain why our tickets need to be cheaper than everyone else's if we're looking only to cut costs? Surely an extra £1m or £2m in the kitty isn't going to hurt?

It's not that he doesn't have the ambition its that he doesn't have the money. You're talking at least £100m in investment for Villa to get anywhere near the current top 4. Football's all about money, the more you have the higher up the table you'll finish. We are somewhere between 12th-8th in the league given our revenue/expenditure over the long term (5 to 10 years). As far as having ambitions as fans, getting a 6th place finish or winning a cup is about as far as we should think. 

It's not that he doesn't have the ambition its that he doesn't have the money. You're talking at least £100m in investment for Villa to get anywhere near the current top 4. Football's all about money, the more you have the higher up the table you'll finish. We are somewhere between 12th-8th in the league given our revenue/expenditure over the long term (5 to 10 years). As far as having ambitions as fans, getting a 6th place finish or winning a cup is about as far as we should think. 

I personally think it's more about putting ourselves in the mix among the best of the rest. Everton are supposed to be a club operated on a shoestring, yet they still have players like Fellaini, Mirrallas and Kone who each cost in excess of £6m. At the very least, we should be able to match Everton's spend.

But we're not really talking about spending big now. We're talking about signing a player for around the £8 million mark and according to a reliable ITK that's not possible due to financial constraints.

I'm all for a more sensible approach for this season to build but just a bit disappointed it seems the manager hasn't got as much as I thought he'd get.

I know some suggest its Lambert's choice but surely the enquiry for Kiyotake shows he's probably interested in signing someone in that price range.

Yeah, I wouldn't think that Lambert would be against players in that price range on principal, especially seeing as he got Benteke for that sort of fee. It's probably a lot more to do with Mr Ireland, Mr Given, Mr Bannan etc. all still being here. 

If we were so well organised getting in 6 players BEFORE this transfer window really opened, you can be we have been working just as hard since then on getting these players off our books. If they had gone earlier then I would think sanctioning an 8 to 10 mill player would not be problematic, it wasn't last year so why shoudl it be this?