Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Even though Milner has won a few things with City, I still believe the move has ruined him a little bit.

At Villa he was playing in central midfield, putting in fantastic performances and the press were mentioning him for central midfield for England.

At Man City he's been played mainly on the wing and has slowly slipped down the pecking order for England.

If he wanted to leave for bigger and better things (for the good of his career) then he should have gone to a team that would play him in central midfield.

• Like 1

If the wages were right I would love Milner back.  Exactly the player we need.  A better version of what Delph does for us.  Can also play in behind the striker.  Can't see Man City negotiating on wages though.

I'm not sure there will ever be a transfer speculation thread without excitement over the potential for Milner re-signing despite no tangible evidence to say it's a possibility until a good ten years after he retires.

Would love him back though!  :wub:

Quick question, why is Milner treated like a god on this forum? Yeah he was a great player for us, but he jumped ship at the first sniff just like the rest of them. He has no interest in our club, only money, just like Downing, Young, Barry, Yorke, etc. Yet seemingly because he didn't hand in a transfer request (the shitty thing to do when you want to leave like he did) he isn't vilified, but in fact loved!

I Just don't get it.

• Like 2

It's funny because he has no connections to the area and Lambert has never worked with him so there is no reason we would look to sign him ahead of any other random player.

I think a number of Villa fans just miss him like an ex girlfriend who walked out :P

Well...he was pretty damn good.

So was Barry. In fact he was a better Villa player than Milner ever was and gave us 11 years service, yet he's vilified while Milner worshipped. It's pathetic considering he couldn't wait to get out of the door.

• Like 1

I think people can see that Milner isn't reaching his full potential at City, mainly because he's not being played in his strongest position. As Villa fans, we know that Milner could be one of the best CMs in the Premier League, and we know that his talent is being wasted at City.

There's also the fact that Milner gave his absolute all for Villa, right up until his substitution against West Ham. He ran the show that day.

A 17 yr old Belgian debutant at that

I'm starting to believe that these Belgian's all have been test tube babies born from the cell of a perfect footballer made in some secret Belgian laboratory.

So that's what Luc Nillis has been up to...

I actually checked the date yesterday that he retired on to make a similar post but figured he was playing too recently. I should've gone with it anyway *shakes angry fist* :)

and Barry had a two page spread in the NOTW slagging us off basically

Yup.

And to answer MessiWillSignForVilla's question fully:

Young threw himself to the floor against one of his former team mates to win his team a penalty.

Yorke sulked off against Everton to force a move.

Downing turned his back on the club just weeks after stating that he was looking to sign a new deal. He also failed to show us respect after we took him from the Championship while nursing a broken leg.

Edited by Shillzz

When we think about how Liverpool fans must feel having paid us 20m for Downing, I wonder how Man City fans feel about 26m (inc Ireland) for Milner ?

I mean, lets be honest. He's never looked like a 20m player for them at all, maybe a hard working 10m one absolute tops. Barry has proved far better value for em

Maybe it shows how we over rate our own players value when we have em

• Like 1

Quick question, why is Milner treated like a god on this forum? Yeah he was a great player for us, but he jumped ship at the first sniff just like the rest of them. He has no interest in our club, only money, just like Downing, Young, Barry, Yorke, etc. Yet seemingly because he didn't hand in a transfer request (the shitty thing to do when you want to leave like he did) he isn't vilified, but in fact loved!

I Just don't get it.

Hard to disagree with this actually.

Well...he was pretty damn good.

So were Downing, Young, Barry and Yorke, yet none of them are held anywhere near in such high regard as Milner.

It's the attitude the players had while here and while trying to leave. Downing joined while injured, claimed he'd stay with us even if we went down and then left at the first opportunity after giving us one solitary full season. Yorke's final game(s) at the club were him almost literally strolling around on the pitch in a blatant display of 'I am leaving for Man Utd', he then went and signed for small heath which is bad enough but he then said theirs were the better fans. How to make friends and influence people. TBH I don't think Young and Barry do get a particularly hard time. General concensus seems to be that Barry gave us the best decade of his career and more than earned his moment in the sun. Similarly Young, while not giving us a decade, did well and never kicked up a fuss while here or in order to leave. He then went to an actual CL team* and has never said a bad word about us. Milner was the model pro while he was here and even showed a strong desire to be here the season Newcastle did a U-turn on a loan-deal making themselves look like arseholes in the process.

* Remember at the time all these other players said they wanted to leave to play CL and then joined sides that weren't in the CL. Citeh have since started to qualify for it.

I Just don't get it.

I suppose it depends what you look for in a player...good player Milner ,but I was not sold him like some are on this board, just an opinion. For instance would have much preferred Cowans, Parker, Houghton, Mortimer, Bremner, Cropley...and even Merson.

not for me ,sorry.