Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

One more player and we have a bloody good side going into this season...

-----------------------Guzan

------------------Okore---Vlaar

Lowton-------------------------------Luna

------------Westwood--Sylla

-------------NEW AM/Bacuna

Weimann-------------------------Agbonlahor

--------------------Benteke

Subs

Steer

Herd

Baker

Delph

Gardner

Tonev

Helenius

After that we still have, Clark, Carruthers, El Ahmadi, Bowery, Albrighton, Siegrist, Bennett, N'zogbia and the next-gen youngsters!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

Despite signing 6 new players it seems the lineup will be almost identical to how we finished the season, only Okore i think will come straight into the team.

Despite signing 6 new players it seems the lineup will be almost identical to how we finished the season, only Okore i think will come straight into the team.

Thing is unlike last season we can rotate and have a different game plan if things aren't going our way, last piece would be a Kiyotake type of signing to play in the Attacking Midfield role, I think Bacuna could play there pretty well judging by the pre season highlights but someone like Kiyotake would add a whole new dimension to the team.

agree, the problem at the start of last season was that there were too many new faces all thrown in at once. It was only in the new year they started to play properly.

• Like 1

Hard to tell whether the new signings will start, I suppose a lot depends on what they do between now and aug 17 - one thing for sure though the competition for places looks much better , and we should have a lot better bench this season .

One more player and we have a bloody good side going into this season...

-----------------------Guzan

------------------Okore---Vlaar

Lowton-------------------------------Luna

------------Westwood--Sylla

-------------NEW AM/Bacuna

Weimann-------------------------Agbonlahor

--------------------Benteke

Subs

Steer

Herd

Baker

Delph

Gardner

Tonev

Helenius

After that we still have, Clark, Carruthers, El Ahmadi, Bowery, Albrighton, Siegrist, Bennett, N'zogbia and the next-gen youngsters!

Whilst I think this will be the line-up at some point. I honestly believe we've signed players with the intent to rotate the squad and have numerous options rather than just a set 'best 11' I think we'll see a big variety of Villa line-ups this season which will keep us unpredictable and allow us to have a plan B and C when things aren't going our way. It also allows us to adapt depending on the opposition. Like if we're playing Stoke I'm expecting to see players like Bowery or Helenius opposed to Bacuna or Tonev. I'm really looking forward to the new season now :)

there's a lot of people thinking in terms of football manager out here ('we need to buy another AM'), we already had 6 players coming in who will want a starting position.

we now have two teams already

first team (probably)

---------------Guzan------------

Lowton--Vlaar--Okore--Luna

---------Sylla----Westwood----

-------------Bacuna---------------

Weimann----------------Gabby

-------------Benteke-------------

Second Team

---------------Steer-----------------

Herd---Clark----Baker--Bennett

----------KEA-----Delph------------

---------------Nzogbia--------------

Albrighton----------------Tonev---

---------------Helenius-------------

this seems to me like we have enough players as it is. I'm even finding it difficult to put Gardner in there. This is also quite hard on players like Baker and Delph who have done well for us last season.

everyone else should be either sold (Given, Hutton, Bannan, Ireland, Bent) or sent on loan (Carruther, Bowery)

adding another AM would make it 8 possible players for 3 position. 

Edited by AXD

Our midfield looked the best it has done in a number of years in the closing stages of last season with Sylla, Westwood & Delph. I too, fail to see the desperate need for another midfielder.

Our midfield looked the best it has done in a number of years in the closing stages of last season with Sylla, Westwood & Delph. I too, fail to see the desperate need for another midfielder.

I wouldn't say its a desperate need for another but we could do with some goals coming from the midfield area.

Perhaps, but that was big problem last year. We really didn`t have anyone that could make a play up to the goal. We often depended on benteke himself. We need someone who can really work together with him. Weimann managed it sometimes last year, but he is a RW.

Now, if bacuna or something can play the role as an AM then that is fine by me, we just need someone who could really deliver on that area.

I agree that we are not much better than last season which may mean a safe mid-table finish at best. Our strength in depth has improved but not the first team (I await Okore's progress) in any way other than experience. 

Would have liked to see a solid experienced left back, would like to see a solid experienced centre back as well as Okore.

We need: another forward and creative midfielder, especially when Bent and Ireland leave.

Would love to see Nacer Chadli (for more than one reason!), and Finnbogason or at a push Gomis. This would improve us immensely.

Over the moon about Benteke, its like signing a £40m player - this doesn't happen to the Villa!

I agree that we are not much better than last season which may mean a safe mid-table finish at best. Our strength in depth has improved but not the first team (I await Okore's progress) in any way other than experience.

Would have liked to see a solid experienced left back, would like to see a solid experienced centre back as well as Okore.

We need: another forward and creative midfielder, especially when Bent and Ireland leave.

Would love to see Nacer Chadli (for more than one reason!), and Finnbogason or at a push Gomis. This would improve us immensely.

Over the moon about Benteke, its like signing a £40m player - this doesn't happen to the Villa!

Mid table at best? That would involve these players regressing from their latter season form and the new players adding nothing.

Unlikely I'd say. I expect more improvement. I expect mid table as a bare minimum.

• Like 1

Against the top teams or for tricky away games, I like us having the 3 midfielders in there ( Delph, Sylla, Westwood ) as there seems to be a nice balance with Westwood deeper and central, Delph covering the left side and Sylla the right side and we look more solid defensively.

Where I think the likes of Tonev, Bacuna and Helenius will come in will be games against weaker teams where we would be expected to win and one of the 3 midfielders might be sacrificed for a 4-2-3-1 formation. Alternatively, if we're chasing a game, we have the players to change to a more attacking formation.

Much as I would love a Kiyotake type player to play off the front 3, It would mean us playing 4-2-3-1 regularly and I'm not sure our central midfielders are defensively strong enough to provide enough cover in a midfielder 2.

Certainly nice to have options off the bench though and great to have such competition for places. Will always be interesting seeing which line ups Lambert picks for each game !

Edited by Biskitt

I think top 8 is achievable , i would settle for top 10 but be disappointed should we finish lower than 10th- take away the top clubs and theres nothing special left, we could be a surprise team and challenge for 7th even.

I really think Midfield was the weak point last season

Teams were just bombing onto our centre halfs they had very little protection until sylla came in

I'd still like to see a quality CM come in box to box type player who is creative and can bag a few goals

But with us signing Benteke up to a new contract im happy easily the biggest signing of the summer so far

Edited by AshVilla