Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

Funny how the lefties become the baying bloodthirsty mob all of a sudden.

I think you'll find the reaction, on both sides, is about her as a symbol and figurehead for a set of values, policies and actions, not as an individual.

Well that symbol effectively died in 1990.

It's the over the top rejoicing about the physical death of an old lady that's unsettling.  Especially coming from the same people that criticised the American reaction to Bin Laden's death.

Exactly.  Those saying that the celebrations are for the death of an ideology are,  for me,  making an excuse for what in reality is a celebration for a death of a person. 

Whether or not wishing a helpless old woman dead reflects an ignoble streak in an individuals character is a matter of for them.

Yep she pegged out in a nursing home just a week before her benefits were due to be slashed

• Like 1

Richard, on 15 Apr 2013 - 2:40 PM, said:

Those saying that the celebrations are for the death of an ideology are, for me, making an excuse for what in reality is a celebration for a death of a person.

Please point out who you are misquoting. I'd blame Thatcher for that too, she obviously screwed up your education.

One suspects it was Peter but it isn't what he said

I think she was crap at her job. I think she made a lot of people's lives worse for unjustifiable reason. I think her incompetence has had a negative effect on our society and our politics.

She never acknowledged that her ideology had clearly demonstrably failed many, thus I would conclude that she didn't really care about the negative effects she had on people's lives. Furthermore I would conclude she never ever really had the basic human qualities required for the job, never mind being a great leader. I don't know why it's even conceivable we should be even considering celebrating this person at all. It's a strange world.

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 2

Those saying that the celebrations are for the death of an ideology are, for me, making an excuse for what in reality is a celebration for a death of a person.

Please point out who you are misquoting. I'd blame Thatcher for that too, she obviously screwed up your education.

I do not believe I actually quoted anyone in my post ,  nor did Wainy.  Mine was a general reference.  Not sure my post actually deserved the post on poster bit from you to be honest.

obscene costs 

I think you might use the word obscene for lots of things that governments spend money on, but if you think £12 million is obscene, you should see what else they spend money on, it will make your blood boil...

That is one way of looking at it. Another way would be that it is in the top three most expensive funerals that have been state funded. The difference with the others being that millions of the tax payers footing the bill detested the witch and what she stood for.

The bottom line is that she simply wasn't worthy of the millions of pounds of our money and all the pomp and ceremony now being lavished on her. Quite the opposite in fact.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

To be fair Pete, that isn't quite fair. Women in most positions are not just rated on performance, forget the political aspect here, they are rated far far more than men on their clothes and hair. Forget the BBC, Mirror, Telegraph etc, most of the female magazines are quick to jump on any faux pas in their outfit. Not just Thatcher, anyone in the limelight. I suspect we men have no idea just  how much

You say that but look at some of the ridiculous comments we have had in politics threads about the way that people like Milliband look.  A bit more examination of what they are saying really does often help produce a different perspective I find

To be fair Pete, that isn't quite fair. Women in most positions are not just rated on performance, forget the political aspect here, they are rated far far more than men on their clothes and hair. Forget the BBC, Mirror, Telegraph etc, most of the female magazines are quick to jump on any faux pas in their outfit. Not just Thatcher, anyone in the limelight. I suspect we men have no idea just  how much

You say that but look at some of the ridiculous comments we have had in politics threads about the way that people like Milliband look.  A bit more examination of what they are saying really does often help produce a different perspective I find

I agree

• Like 2

obscene costs 

I think you might use the word obscene for lots of things that governments spend money on, but if you think £12 million is obscene, you should see what else they spend money on, it will make your blood boil...

That is one way of looking at it. Another way would be that it is in the top three most expensive funerals that have been state funded. The difference with the others being that millions of the tax payers footing the bill detested the witch and what she stood for.

The bottom line is that she simply wasn't worthy of the millions of pounds of our money and all the pomp and ceremony now being lavished on her. Quite the opposite in fact.

I am sure someone could actually work out what Thatcher cost/saved the country and therefore come out what the “state” funeral would be worth.

For example what was the cost of the miners strike? Or what was gained from cutting the nation’s debts? etc, etc. I am sure people would be shocked on both sides.

I think if Thatcher had never existed we would still be looking at a country not dissimilar to where we are now; perhaps a more left leaning Blair, but most of our industries would IMO have shrunk from their large sizes they were. Probably still have a nationalised railway.

I do not believe I actually quoted anyone in my post ,  nor did Wainy.  Mine was a general reference.  Not sure my post actually deserved the post on poster bit from you to be honest.

You quoted Peter in that very post, clearly Heroine screws you up ;-)

• Like 1

I am sure someone could actually work out what Thatcher cost/saved the country and therefore come out what the “state” funeral would be worth.

One figure for the record: The rebate she won from the EU has saved the UK £75 billion pounds, so far.

• Like 1

Using that "failed" logic then why not get a gold coffin and have it wheeled over a street festooned with diamonds and saffron.........

The Thatcher "supporters" are now sinking to even lower depths trying to prove the value of this political funeral broadcast

On a separate point, and slightly humorous, the comment just made that with the Gvmt stopping Big Ben while this farce happens they are stopping even that ringing out "bing bong the witch is dead ..." :-)

I see also that Farage is trying to say that Thatcher would have been a UKIP supporter - it's now become even more of a end of the pier comedy show than before.

One figure for the record: The rebate she won from the EU has saved the UK £75 billion pounds, so far.

I'd be interested to see how much money has been lost over the years by destroying the manufacturing industry in this country. How much have we lost out on so far?

Using that "failed" logic then why not get a gold coffin and have it wheeled over a street festooned with diamonds and saffron.........

Isnt saffron a herb / spice? Nut sure coating a coffin in curry powder will be that much of a statement of wealth, is 24p a jar in asda

• Like 1

Richard, on 15 Apr 2013 - 2:40 PM, said:Those saying that the celebrations are for the death of an ideology are, for me, making an excuse for what in reality is a celebration for a death of a person.

Please point out who you are misquoting. I'd blame Thatcher for that too, she obviously screwed up your education.One suspects it was Peter but it isn't what he said
I do not believe I actually quoted anyone in my post , nor did Wainy. Mine was a general reference. Not sure my post actually deserved the post on poster bit from you to be honest.
You quoted Peter in that very post, clearly Heroine screws you up ;-)
the fact that a nested quote function on this website highlights posts made by others when I was making a point in refereance or relation to those points does not mean I was quoting Peter or misquoting him, if it did then why did you even bother asking your original question?

I made a point and referenced the point made by wainy as I am sure you know. Again post on poster not sure called for.

Edited by Richard

Â