Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

2nd... boo!

I find the number one more offensive.

Wow... I thought that was some stock music to fill the time with "hmmmm... 100... yeah.... hmmmmmm..... 100... yeah...." and repeat.

That is the number 1 song in the UK? Wow...

obscene costs 

I think you might use the word obscene for lots of things that governments spend money on, but if you think £12 million is obscene, you should see what else they spend money on, it will make your blood boil...

Paul, appreciate that but this is basically 12 million (or is it 10 or is it 25?) on a party political broadcast on behalf of the Tory party

obscene costs

I think you might use the word obscene for lots of things that governments spend money on, but if you think £12 million is obscene, you should see what else they spend money on, it will make your blood boil...

they could have paid kolo touré for a year with it. He could have been used to, I dunno, be minister for the environment, or education or something where there's a complete dangleberry in charge - chancellor, even. He seems like a good lad, and he'd fit in with all the millionaires in the cabin... Actually scrub that..he's achieved something in life through hard work and ability, so would be right out of place.

Still, it'd be a better use of 12 mill than tossing it on a load of pomp and bluster for political ends to try and put lipstick on a dead (metaphorical) pig.*

*I like pigs

• Like 1

I see Grant Shapps or whatever he is called this week has been sending out emails again

“Lots of people have asked how they too can get involved and pay their respects. Next Wednesday, Party supporters and all those who have been inspired by Lady Thatcher, or who have had their lives touched by her enduring legacy, have their opportunity to pay tribute by lining the route of her coffin…

“…Please arrive early as significant crowds are expected.

“This will be a unique and very special occasion. I encourage all Party supporters – and all Margaret Thatcher supporters – to make every effort to come to London and pay your own respects to her memory by lining the Procession route. I can think of no better way to show our profound gratitude.”

I see Grant Shapps or whatever he is called this week has been sending out emails again

“Lots of people have asked how they too can get involved and pay their respects. Next Wednesday, Party supporters and all those who have been inspired by Lady Thatcher, or who have had their lives touched by her enduring legacy, have their opportunity to pay tribute by lining the route of her coffin…

“…Please arrive early as significant crowds are expected.

“This will be a unique and very special occasion. I encourage all Party supporters – and all Margaret Thatcher supporters – to make every effort to come to London and pay your own respects to her memory by lining the Procession route. I can think of no better way to show our profound gratitude.”

I'm surprised by this.  The Tories usually have a very slick operation when it comes to driving voters to polling stations.  If they're worried the turnout will be low, can't they just use the usual channels, instead of begging on e-mail for people to turn up?

So, respecting the view of the majority what is the harm in spending the same on a good send off for a politically giant figure as it has cost the country to house that barsteward  Abu Qatada?

If you're so keen on following the views of the majority, why use a vague question and then read across to impute support for a specific event which wasn't asked about?

Luckily, someone has asked to specific question about the funeral.  Reported in that haven of commie traitors, Sky.

The Government has defended the lavish plans for Baroness Thatcher's funeral after a poll showed major opposition to using taxpayers' money to pay for it.

A ComRes survey found that only 25% of people think the event should be funded form the public purse and that 60% are against the idea.

I expect the cancellation arrangements are already being set in hand.

Â