The interesting stat thread

The_Rev

and then I think its actually Martinez....not 100% sure

Nope

Martinez was appointed in 2009.

Stoke have been in the Premier League (under Pulis) since 2008

I meant that for the comment which said Pulis was going to be 2nd longest serving manager. so it meant Martinez was next after him

I think Arsene Wenger may have something to say about that, having been at Arsenal for nearly 17 years now.

Anyway, Fernando Torres has not scored in 2013. Not interesting, more ominous considering how benvolant we are to struggling strikers.

I meant that for the comment which said Pulis was going to be 2nd longest serving manager. so it meant Martinez was next after him

I think Arsene Wenger may have something to say about that, having been at Arsenal for nearly 17 years now.

Hence why Martinez is 2nd

Wenger is obviously 1st.

Hence why Martinez is 2nd

Wenger is obviously 1st.

Oops, my bad! I read it as 2nd behind Ferguson  :unsure:

Nope

Martinez was appointed in 2009.

Stoke have been in the Premier League (under Pulis) since 2008

10Guy.jpg

who is Big 4 though, is that Sky 4? I remember his team winning at Etihad about 2 years ago and I think they won at Highbury when Rooney scored that goal but that was a long time ago

The traditional big 4 of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool. Rooney's goal at Highbury was in a 2-1 loss. His winner in Goodison was, naturally, not away from home.

It's not a traditional "big four" though, is it?  It probably existed as an entity for about five or six seasons. 

Of those 4 you could only argue Chelsea's inclusion in a 'traditional' big 4 but given that they're the 2nd most successful side in the Premier League era then that's probably the logic that was used. The stat still stands no matter how you wish to label them though.

But even then you are using an arbitrary measure to define a period.  '92/93 was a  landmark year in English football, but Chelsea have been mid table also rans for most of their history and it wasn't really until Matthew Harding turned them into a top six club with his money that anybody really started to notice them. Their position at the top really only happened due to events which took place a full ten years after the Premier League was founded. Should we really revise history and say they have always been a dominant force in the Premier League?  Their rise to prominence seems to have coincided with the decline of Liverpool (this is the fourth season in a row they have failed to qualify for the big cup) and to a lesser extent, Arsenal.  

There is no denying that for a period of time the "big four" did exist, those four clubs were England's representatives in the Champions League for six seasons in a row but it was a brief period which is now gone, but the phrase "big four" just has a nice ring to it in the media because the big four banks and big four railway companies helped shape British life for the best part of a hundred years in the 20th century. 

The stat calling into question David Moyes record against them as Everton manager annoys me somewhat because they didn't exist as an entity when he took the Everton job and they haven't existed for at least three years as of today. If you need a group of opposition clubs as a benchmark to compare his results against then why not include Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur who are more relevant today?  Is it because he has good results there and therefore there is less of a story or is it because the "big four" make a better soundbite because they are (or were) a clearly identifiable group?  

• Like 1

who is Big 4 though, is that Sky 4? I remember his team winning at Etihad about 2 years ago and I think they won at Highbury when Rooney scored that goal but that was a long time ago

The traditional big 4 of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool. Rooney's goal at Highbury was in a 2-1 loss. His winner in Goodison was, naturally, not away from home.

'Traditional Big 4' is a term I hoped I'd never hear again.

Now they're just 4 sides that are in the top half of the table where he never won away at

The stat calling into question David Moyes record against them as Everton manager annoys me somewhat because they didn't exist as an entity when he took the Everton job and they haven't existed for at least three years as of today. If you need a group of opposition clubs as a benchmark to compare his results against then why not include Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur who are more relevant today?  Is it because he has good results there and therefore there is less of a story or is it because the "big four" make a better soundbite because they are (or were) a clearly identifiable group?  

Big Six is probably warranted... the PL seems content now to pretend that they're the only clubs in the league (see the plan for NBC Sports to show an hour of Man Utd highlights followed by an hour of Man City highlights every Monday night and a half hour each of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Spurs highlights on Tuesday nights).

Big Six is probably warranted... the PL seems content now to pretend that they're the only clubs in the league (see the plan for NBC Sports to show an hour of Man Utd highlights followed by an hour of Man City highlights every Monday night and a half hour each of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Spurs highlights on Tuesday nights).

Oho! Don't tell me, Villa get a 90-second slot at 5am on Thursday mornings...

He's getting on a bit now, but he was a bloody good player back in the day.  Massively harsh to say he doesn't deserve his winners medals. 

Â