The interesting stat thread

The_Rev

They kinda have though, Manchester United are 13 points clear and won the title with four games to spare. 

Juventus are 8 points clear with a game in hand in Italy. 

Bayern are 20 points clear in Germany. 

Barcelona are 11 points clear in Spain. 

PSG are 6 points clear with a game in hand in France. 

All the big leagues have had anticlimactic title races this season. 

People make fun of the Scottish league but it has been more competitive then the Premier League has this season. 

Celtic have the same lead on second place and they have taken far fewer points over the 36 game season than Man U have. 

People make fun of the Scottish league but it has been more competitive then the Premier League has this season.

Rightly so ! (and I'm an Aberdeen fan)

Celtic have the same lead on second place and they have taken far fewer points over the 36 game season than Man U have.

Celtic have sleepwalked to the title without the threat of Rangers though. I'd say they were maybe at 80% this season and that's being generous. As evidenced by them quite successfully putting all of their eggs in the CL basket, safe in the knowledge that the league was going nowhere else.

Premier League's probably been the most competitive league in all of Europe this season. 8 teams can still go down can't they? Don't like this idea that only the teams at the top matter.

Rightly so ! (and I'm an Aberdeen fan)

Celtic have sleepwalked to the title without the threat of Rangers though. I'd say they were maybe at 80% this season and that's being generous. As evidenced by them quite successfully putting all of their eggs in the CL basket, safe in the knowledge that the league was going nowhere else.

You could say Man U have sleepwalked the PL this season as well. They haven't even remotely been challenged for the title. 

There's a key difference. United went into this season not sure they'd win the title. Afterall, they didn't win it last year. They only got their lead this season by playing absolute balls to the wall 100% every week and putting in superb performances. They certainly didn't sleep walk to their title. They earned it. Celtic on the other hand went into this season knowing they were champions. So did everyone else in that league. Their arch rivals were in the third division. They could have been given the trophy in August. Oh sure the rest would all be plucky and try their bestest, but it was always a matter of just how much Celtic would win by. Any suggestion that Celtic mightn't have won the title even back in August would be a little disingenuous in my opinion.

Premier League's probably been the most competitive league in all of Europe this season. 8 teams can still go down can't they? Don't like this idea that only the teams at the top matter.

If by competitive you mean consistently shit, yes.

The likes of Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland would walkover their relative opposition in the other big 4 leagues IMO

The likes of Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland would walkover their relative opposition in the other big 4 leagues IMO

Well you have no real way of testing that so it is a pretty meaningless statement. 

Well you have no real way of testing that so it is a pretty meaningless statement. 

Well, I suppose Newcastle would be a way of arguing it. Being a bottom 5/6 Premier League team doing that well in Europe suggests they're bottom than the bottom feeders elsewhere IMO.

I think that Villa and Newcastle have both underperformed this year, considering the players that they have.  As we know, many of our young players are experiencing their first full year of Premier League football.

Still, there are some decent teams in similar positions in other European leagues.  Big names such as Bremen and Bilbao, the latter of which were in two cup finals this time last year, are languishing fairly far down their respective tables.  I don't think that sides like Deportivo, Palermo or Sampdoria would be 'walk overs' by any stretch of the imagination either.

Here's an interesting and not to mention timely stat.

David Moyes has never won away to 'the big 4' in 46 (FORTY SIX) attempts.

#bornwinner

• Like 2

who is Big 4 though, is that Sky 4? I remember his team winning at Etihad about 2 years ago and I think they won at Highbury when Rooney scored that goal but that was a long time ago

Edited by Zatman

who is Big 4 though, is that Sky 4? I remember his team winning at Etihad about 2 years ago and I think they won at Highbury when Rooney scored that goal but that was a long time ago

The traditional big 4 of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool. Rooney's goal at Highbury was in a 2-1 loss. His winner in Goodison was, naturally, not away from home.

Â