The interesting stat thread

The_Rev

No I'm not gonna watch. I've seen loads of montages of Ronaldo's greatest goals before, this will be similar, just different music and goals in a different order.  Anyway it's fine if you disagree, that's whats being on a forum is all about. But for me C Ronaldo is the better one and I have thought that since the world cup playoff match.

Edited by Voinjama

There is only 8 years difference between the 2 Ronaldo's. Some people be talking like they played in completely different eras like the Messi/Maradona comparison.

at their peaks there's a lot of difference. Cristiano is peaking now. 2014

Rinaldo peaked in, probably, 97/98?

I'm in Rev's boat on that point. Not that Rinaldo was necessarily better...

But if Ronaldo had stayed injury free for his career it would be a different story. He was phenomenal.

And he got injured because of hatchet men.  Interestingly both Ronaldo's hit the same number of career appearances this season (Cristiano has since overtaken) and Brazilian Ronaldo had scored more goals for club and country in the same number of games.  Again, you can twist the stats to fit your argument either way, Cristiano was used as a winger early in his career but maybe that's because he wasn't ready to be the spearhead when Brazilian Ronaldo was the complete package as a teenager.  Brazilian Ronaldo scored some goals in a weaker league, Cristiano has always been in better teams.  They did play in different eras though despite the arguments against it 

There is only 8 years difference between the 2 Ronaldo's. Some people be talking like they played in completely different eras like the Messi/Maradona comparison.

at their peaks there's a lot of difference. Cristiano is peaking now. 2014

Rinaldo peaked in, probably, 97/98?

I'm in Rev's boat on that point. Not that Rinaldo was necessarily better...

But if Ronaldo had stayed injury free for his career it would be a different story. He was phenomenal.

And he got injured because of hatchet men. Interestingly both Ronaldo's hit the same number of career appearances this season (Cristiano has since overtaken) and Brazilian Ronaldo had scored more goals for club and country in the same number of games. Again, you can twist the stats to fit your argument either way, Cristiano was used as a winger early in his career but maybe that's because he wasn't ready to be the spearhead when Brazilian Ronaldo was the complete package as a teenager. Brazilian Ronaldo scored some goals in a weaker league, Cristiano has always been in better teams. They did play in different eras though despite the arguments against it

I was agreeing with you...

New Ronaldo and Messi are in a different class from old Ronaldo - they're up there with Maradona. Old Ronaldo was overrated in my opinion; a Nike phenomenon - both Shevchenko and George Weah were better.

Has Mourhino now lost 5 of these semi finals - that's a record surely?

Well now a mod has prolonged the debate, that has given me the green light to in this topic too.

Basically C Ronaldo has absolutely everything to his game. The original Ronaldo was no where near as good with the dead ball or in the air and was sometimes lazy. C Ronaldo's goalscoring and assists stats over the last 4 years are insane. When the original Ronaldo was at his peak back in the late 90s, his number's were not even close to what C Ronaldo is doing.

Mourinho has lost 6 semis. The last 4 in a row, and 2 with Chelski in 2005 and 2007.

Goal at 0.52 - for power + speed, and staying on feet, what about Gareth Bale's vs Barcelona/Iceland?

Bale + quick feet and superb close control = Ronaldo I.

Ronaldo I was certainly one of the all time great players but he didn't score a lot of great headers. At least there are none in that video.

Ronaldo II is great in the air, got quick feet, speed, is powerful, has superb close control, one-on-one and long range shooting and set pieces. He can't defend but neither did the first version.

Ronaldo I was not as comprehensive an attacking player as Ronaldo II. That is why II is more prolific than I.  he definitely scored some equally spectacular goals though.

• Like 1

I say this every time, but the old Ronaldo played in an era where defenders could happily kick the shit out of him and get away with it.   It was injuries to players like old Ronaldo, Marco Van Basten and even Michael Owen which led to the art of tackling being removed from the game somewhat and as a result we are now seeing lots of players (relatively speaking) scoring at a rate of almost a goal a game. 

and 2 of them played in Italy when bad tackles were "tactical fouls" have always been encouraged though all 3 of them players started at a high level quite early so that might have a thing to do with it

Top 20 tackling forwards in the Premier League

Yoan Gouffran - 56 (30/4) 

Marouane Chamakh - 49 (25/5)

Jay Rodriguez - 47 (30/3) Sir Tackle-Goals 

Marko Arnautovic - 45 (26/3) 

Morgan Amalfitano - 38 (25/2)

Johan Elmander - 38 (15/13)

André Schürrle - 37 (15/14)

Fraizer Campbell - 32 (31/5)

David Silva - 31 (24 / 1)

Olivier Giroud - 30 (35)

Wayne Rooney - 29 (27/2)

Ashkan Dejagah - 26 (13/8)

Gabriel Agbonlahor - 26 (28/1)

Andreas Weimann - 26 (29/6)

Fabio Borini - 25 (23/7)

Steven Naismith - 25 (12/18)

Craig Bellamy - 23 (12/9)

Emmanuel Adebayor - 22 (19/1)

Stéphane Sessegnon - 22 (21/3)

Kevin Mirallas - 22  (28/4)

2003-04 - This is the first season since 2003-04 that no European competition final will contain a club from England.

Chelsea played the Super Cup final ;)

• Like 1

Â