The interesting stat thread

The_Rev

I've been to the San Siro and the Stadio Olimpico and they both need a lot of work.  They're very "basic" whatever UEFA say.  I've also been to the Luigi Ferraris and it was a similar story there.

Certainly in comparison to, say, the Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Veltins Arena and Grundig-Stadion (all of which I've also visited) they're light years apart.

• Like 2

I don't think it was, but I may be wrong. Just had a look at the list of 5 star UEFA stadiums. All the ones you'd expect apart from Ibrox and Vicente Calderon. Surprised to see those 2 there.

Ibrox is amazing. It's in an area that makes Aston look like Knowle but the stadium is second to none. It's a beautiful traditional red brick building that is thoroughly modern.

San Siro and Stadio Olimpico are not shit stadiums.

I've not been to either myself. But I know a bunch of Milan fans who've been and they say it's a complete shit hole. It's just big and ticks boxes, but apparently the state of the place is appalling. 

It's the case with a lot of place in Italy supposedly, which is one reason a lot of clubs apply for new stadiums. It's no shocker Juve's attendances dwarf what they were at the Delle Alpi, because it was shite.

the new stadium which has about 30000 seats less than Delle Alpi :D

I remember they played arsenal in champions league a few years ago and im sure attendance was just over 10000

Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 250th goal for Real Madrid last night.   Took him 243 appearances.  

He is 4th on the all time scorers list, he overtook Puskas (242 in 262) last month. 

Definitely better then original Ronaldo. I know many will disagree but it's my opinion. 

People might disagree, perhaps because Ronaldo was a phenomenon and introduced many to the era of new tricks, football boots like Nike Vapor and many, many goals. I remember that time because I was a teenager and fell for all that marketing stuff just like any other kid. Those who disagree would be wrong though, Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi are by far the best players to have ever graced this earth. Sure you can measure Maradona against the level of the field back in the day and compound his level with the inflation over the years, but I wouldn't get into that algorithm.

Cristiano Ronaldo has 176 goals in 163 games for Real Madrid and he has at least three seasons left at the top level. I immediately get mad when I write that, imagine that we are going to watch football in 5-10 years and not see Messi/Ronaldo anymore. Someone else will come along of course, they always do, but I doubt we will see many scoring 45+ league goals in a top league. Cristiano Ronaldo also has 16 goals in 10 games in the CL this season, could become more after the final as well (and he didn't play in two of the games RM played this season).

The former Ronaldo, even though he was all about goals and being a central striker, "only" scored 83 goals in 127 league games for Real Madrid. He had tricks and pace compared to other players at the time, but let's not pretend Cristiano Ronaldo couldn't do exactly the same or better. Same with Messi, they do stuff nobody else has ever done and they score goals every single game in average. The old Ronaldo managed to score 30+ league goals only twice in his career, and that was for PSV and Barcelona, so basically just one worth bragging about in the big leagues. Cristiano Ronaldo has done it five times and who would bet against him next season and the one after that? In terms of being a model professional, there probably isn't a big discussion either - I don't think the currently active Ronaldo piles down a six-pack every night he comes home from training.

• Like 2

I say this every time, but the old Ronaldo played in an era where defenders could happily kick the shit out of him and get away with it.   It was injuries to players like old Ronaldo, Marco Van Basten and even Michael Owen which led to the art of tackling being removed from the game somewhat and as a result we are now seeing lots of players (relatively speaking) scoring at a rate of almost a goal a game. 

• Like 1

That's a pretty simple and inaccurate analysis to be honest. Have a word with Dante from Bayern München last night, he must not have heard how the new rules complies. Same goes for the Spanish league, sure there are yellow and red cards almost every game, but that's because of reckless tackling and it doesn't stop the players from doing it again.

Besides, Ronaldo played like 5-6 years ago, it's not like we are talking about Dirty Leeds or anything like in that era back in the 70's on whenever it was. It's not like Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi haven't been tackled right on the shin a lot in their careers, happens almost every single game.

• Like 1

I say this every time, but the old Ronaldo played in an era where defenders could happily kick the shit out of him and get away with it.   It was injuries to players like old Ronaldo, Marco Van Basten and even Michael Owen which led to the art of tackling being removed from the game somewhat and as a result we are now seeing lots of players (relatively speaking) scoring at a rate of almost a goal a game. 

That's a great point, very true. Doesn't mean Ronaldo isn't better than the first Ronaldo.  However, it might help Ronaldo II's if Portugal do well at a World Cup. Semi-final at least this summer.

There is only 8 years difference between the 2 Ronaldo's. Some people be talking like they played in completely different eras like the Messi/Maradona comparison.

at their peaks there's a lot of difference. Cristiano is peaking now. 2014

Rinaldo peaked in, probably, 97/98?

I'm in Rev's boat on that point. Not that Rinaldo was necessarily better...

But if Ronaldo had stayed injury free for his career it would be a different story. He was phenomenal.

Yeah great, post a video of his greatest goals, we all know what Ronaldo did. No one is saying he wasn't good. My point is that C Ronaldo since 2009 has been incredible and certainly at club level he's been better.

Also if Ronaldo had stayed injury free, he may of gone on to be up there with Maradona etc, but the fact remains he did have those injuries. We can only judge things on what happened, not what might of happened.

By the way any player can look good in a montage.

Â