The interesting stat thread

The_Rev

It speaks volumes about how so few clubs dominate the game.  Only about half of the clubs in the league have ever won a major trophy.  Only 15 clubs have won a major trophy since the Premier League was formed in 1992/93. 

I think "amazing" was the wrong word.

What I was getting at was we all think it's been soooo long since we won a trophy. Well, yeah it has. But looks how long it's been for other "big" clubs.

The likes of Everton or Newcastle who the neutral would probably class as a bigger club than us, have both had to wait longer since last winning anything (Newcaslte especially)

• 3 weeks later...

Faryd Mondragon of Columbia, is the oldest player at the world cup this year at the age of 42.

He was part of the Columbia squad that went to the 1994 world cup, making it 20 years and 6 world cups spanning his first and (presumably) last trips to a world cup as a player.

(stat would be much more impressive if it wasn't for the fact that, between being a reserve keeper and Columbia not qualifying for 3 successive world cups, he's only actually made 3 world cup appearances which were at France '98, and he's unlikely to see action this year)

Edited by Stevo985

• 4 weeks later...

Ronaldo, Bale & James (around €265M) cost Real Madrid more than Ajax have spent (€232M) on transfers since their founding in 1900.

Now that is genuinely an incredible stat.

No matter what angle people try to put on it, it still surprises. I'm sure Ajax have bought over 500 players in their history. Those 3 players cost more then the other 500+

Edited by Voinjama

• 2 weeks later...
Â