Bioshock Infinite

The_Rev

Any reason on why? Your thoughts on the game/story? How far are you?

Im not gonna defend the game or anything but im just curious as to why it hasn't clicked with you :P

Think I was just expecting it to be as good, if not better than the first, and it isn't.  It's visually very appealing, but the game play is utterly dull in my opinion.  None of the inventiveness that made the first game such a joy, just lots of very unexciting firefights.  The first time I came upon a Big Daddy in the original game was a true gaming experience, but there just isn't anything comparable in Infinite.  And the travel system is poor too.

I agree there, the Handyman is a bit of a crap answer to the Big Daddy.  I loved the first fight with a Big Daddy in the original Bioshock because he wasnt aggressive until you decided to start a fight with him, but you knew you had to fight him to progress and that he would kick your ass.  

I really enjoyed Infinite though. The first hour was amazing, and the ending was something which will stick with me. 

In all honesty I found that the gameplay wasn't that markedly different from the original Bioshock, but it lacks the charm of the original and without that, the gameplay gets less of a free ride with me.

I'd finish it before getting rid though, its a game that needs to be finished, even if I'd argue the final moments are not the earth shattering game changers many would have you believe.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently played the game and it was pretty fun. It was not my game so I didn't get to play for long but I got about half way through the story. I am debating whether or not to actually purchase the game for myself. 

I thought it was much better than the original Bioshock because the characters were more interesting - I thought Rapture got a bit tedious after a while too, the most memorable parts being the visual design of the Big Daddies and that level in the theatre with the statues (which I loved). The bad guy(s) in it were so one dimensional that I didn't really feel the reveal was very exciting at all. Also the combat was endless waves of splicers.

Infinite, I thought, was excellent aside from a few frustrating fights (the ghost) and some of the use of tears to advance the plots (ah, we can't be bothered to move this heavy stuff...tear!). I thought the visual design was superb and the attention to detail was great, I thought Elizabeth was one of the best companions in gaming as she's invulnerable and doesn't get stuck on scenery, and has much more character than Alyx from HL2. I initially thought the ending was a bit underwhelming when it began, until it got to the very last reveal....which I didn't see coming at all and really liked. The graphics and sound / voice acting were very impressive too.

People are right that the Handymen are a poor imitation of the Big Daddies though, and that it does meander a bit in the middle of the game when the Vox do their stuff. I also thought some of the gunplay got a bit repetitive - but overall I thought it was a fantastic game compared to the standard grimdark shooters that usually get served up these days. 

if i've never played any Bioshock games, should i start at the first one or go straight to this one?

will i find the first one just too old now, or because of the story does it really need to be played?

It doesn't really need to be played, but there are nods and references to it throughout Infinite that you won't fully appreciate if you haven't played it. Regardless, the original is a stonking good game, still seems quite fresh, and has an awesome story, so it's well worth playing.

Edited by regular_john

if i've never played any Bioshock games, should i start at the first one or go straight to this one?

will i find the first one just too old now, or because of the story does it really need to be played?

You can play Infinite without playing the first two, it's not really connected to them at all. But, if you can get the first two for cheap then go for it. The atmosphere is excellent and I didn't find them too outdated even though I played Infinite first.

Edited by Phumfeinz

Â