Bioshock Infinite

The_Rev

I've probably played three hours of the game so far.  I've completed the first big quest, so to speak, and I am bowled over by just how good the game is.  The sense of place is incredible and I love some of the choices they have made for the music.  

http://youtu.be/AOMyS78o5YI

:wub:

I liked the way they floated over, sang and as soon as they stopped floated away again. That couple who were dancing to them carried on dancing when they were gone too

:D that made me laugh

I really like the way 'things got serious' too with the reveal at the raffle, things escalated quick,

Fantastic game so far

Edited by 8pints

Just finished and its left me completely astonished. Best game this gen, ****, its possibly the best game I've ever played. The ending is a treat, the way it keeps teasing you as you get closer to the final scene, its just magic. Its been an absolute pleasure to play this. Absolutely stunning. 10/10.

I've just dug out Bioshock PC to give a spin, as I bought it many years ago, but played it for all of an hour or so. Plus I have Bioshock 2 from PS+ which was free, so I guess if I go through the pair of them it will give me extra impetus to get this when the price lowers.

....and now my heard hurts from trying to piece it all back together so it makes a bit more sense. My mind is in pain.

This. I need to play it again so I can piece it all together properly.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying the game.  Probably eight or nine hours in now,  I could probably get to the point where I'm at in four or five if I mainlined it but much like the first BioShock game, the world is the star and just wandering around and smelling the roses is a huge part of the fun for me.  The first 30 or 40 minutes you spend in Colombia is a joy to behold. 

Oh, and for what it's worth Digital Foundry seems to think that the PS3 version is slightly better than the 360 version from a tech point of view. 

I've put a few hours in this morning and I fear it's settling into the same niche Bioshock held with me - I admire it, it's good... but I don't love it.

:(

Yeah that's pretty much where I am with it at the moment, maybe it'll draw you in more as it goes along? 

Just finished it. End spoiler-y stuff

A game that isn't as smart as it thinks it is, I think. I admire that they tried to do some proper 'storytelling' and it's spectacularly polished, but the end smacks of 'Be amazed at how smart we are!' when I think any idiot has by now seen something that deals with multiple universe theory

Anywho... as I said before, I admire it but I don't love it. The gameplay isn't terribly engaging to me, bullet sponge enemies and far too many long winded 'arena fights' coupled to fairly average gunplay made sections feel a slog.

Elizabeth isn't the greatest AI companion either.

It's inevitably going to be overrated... personally I feel that the original Bioshock was an inherently more interesting game. A very good game, not the earth shattering release you might be lead to believe.

ok, for someone who has never heard of Bioshock before, i have 2 questions:

1) What type of game is it?  Shoot-em-up/strategy/etc?  open world/linear?  cartoony/serious?     sci-fi/fantasy?

2) does it matter than i haven't played the first 2 games? can i start straight on this game, or will that spoil my enjoyment a bit?

It's a first person shooter with a powers system to augment the shooting (stuff like being able to shoot electricity to stun enemies, or throw fireballs, etc), set in a kind of steampunk turn of the 20th century USA. It's linear but not a corridor shooter like COD, and you do a bit of looting corpses and searching the environments for ammo and health etc etc. The major draw is the story and the world, personally as a shooter I find it a bit bland but the world is very well realised and the story will done for what it is.

It stands alone from the original Bioshock, there's no plot that continues through. The extent of the connection is a few bits and bobs that will make people familiar with the original game grin (and maybe get a little more from it, although that is not a necessity and the game doesn't even expect you pick them up, they are there for you to find and see if you want to put the effort in. Totally not necessary to enjoy the game).

Edited by Chindie

Finished it.   Absolutely adored it. :wub:   

I know everybody has a top ten list of games which probably has fifty games on it, but this makes my list along with the original game. I still haven't played BioShock 2 and have no real desire to. 

I do think you will definitely get more out of the game if you have played the original BioShock because there are several great callbacks and quite a few themes are carried over, though they are probably explained quite well if you are going in blind.   Infinite is a standalone story though, and you don't need to have played the original to get what is going on.  It's a FPS but it's not really a twitch shooter, you can play the game largely as a melee character should you choose to or you can go heavy on the magic (I did) if just firing a gun isn't appealing.  You don't really go into the game for the shooting though, it's about the world. And what a world. :)

And if your head hurts after completing the game: 

http://i.imgur.com/MaHNjLo.jpg 

Holy cow this game is deep:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533205

Edited by The_Rev

Just started this. Only about an hour in but I'm quite intrigued.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous on Ultra settings on PC (all hail the master race ;) ).

A lot of my time so far has just been just walking around enjoying the scenery and ambience.

Screenshot overload.   PC version, 1920 x 1080 on ultra settings.  I've not posted anything that will spoil the story. 

wqIdyFw.jpg

Cd2A0IB.jpg

gvyeTR4.jpg

qEYBpUD.jpg

nVTVNhT.jpg

EEMA1Rw.jpg

n9KjDwd.jpg

oJZwgWF.jpg

This bit was spectacular, I wish I'd got more screens of it. 

HUtLe03.jpg

Pd4AlUD.jpg

I've noticed the colour balance looks a bit off on this monitor.  I played the game on a different screen to the one I am posting this message from so maybe it's just my gamma settings.  It looked great when I was playing it though. 

• Like 1

Another ten, just because I have so many.  Again, I don't think anything is spoilery here, certainly if you are looking at it with no context but these are from the second half of the game:

GkzsTav.jpg

mqlyG2K.jpg

90U9IO3.jpg

B5S1CDu.jpg

rpZKnA7.jpg

3iiFSvm.jpg

JlVoGwv.jpg

Mr2z2dh.jpg

q13PNbv.jpg

NJ7w8y0.jpg

You had to click through two spoiler tags to get here, so **** you if you complain. :P

Edited by The_Rev

Yeah, it should be quite a bump. My PC isn't particularly great, it has four GB of Ram,  the CPU is at least five years old and the GPU is from 2010. Admittedly it was a kickass GPU when I bought it (£350 I think) but it's nowhere near cutting edge. 

Errrrrmmmmm, I'm not *really* enjoying this very much at all.  It isn't a patch on the original in my opinion.  The skyline bits are crap, and the whole thing feels a bit average.  Sorry. :(

Â